Voltron re-launch!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the original Voltron toy set when I was a kid and it absolutely sucked. The thing was so F'n heavy you couldn't do anything with it once it was assembled (each lion had numerous die-cast metal parts) and if you tried to move it too much the pieces came apart. So it was basically a statue. Impressive.. but completely worthless to a kid.
I played the hell out of my die-cast Voltron, it was durable as hell, I had a lot of fun playing with it. Lions and Voltron mode.

Maybe you were just a weakling and couldn't lift it? :D

is it really that hard to come up with new ideas for a kid show now? :dunno
Have you seen the kids shows nowadays? :monkey4

:lecture

Exactly.

voltron_defender_of_the_u_233_1280.jpg

voltron_defender_of_the_u_234_1280.jpg

Vehicle Voltron is probably the only toy that I've been wanting an update for and I've been waiting for years now:impatient: Bandai's Soul of Chogokin line seems to be updating every mecha under the sun except Dairugger XV:monkey2 Here's my Dairugger XV with the MP Voltron
DSC00996.jpg

Thank you Verbal! :clap Finally someone in my corner lol
I love Bandai's SOC line and its screaming out for Dairugger. Yeah i dont understand it...every other random cartoon gets the SOC treatment but Voltron:(
I'd love to see another of my childhood memories made Big Dai-X from Star Fleet/X-Bomber. That thing rocked

There were three that I remember. Version 1 which was the lions, version 2 which was the vehicles and a version 3 which never aired in the U.S. but was 3-robots who combined into Voltron.

Yep, 3 forms of Voltron, Vehicle, Lion, and Alabegas which didnt air in the US, only in Japan. In the mid 80's Godaikin released a American toy, but with no cartoon to market it, obviously failed. Alabegas was the red, blue, black robot Alpha/Beta/Gamma.

Vehicle Voltron did ok in the US, hes much more popular in Japan, and the Lions did much better in the U.S.

I still have my old fat ugly voltron and I have the new toynami collectors edition, much sleeker and sexier, but doesnt have the awesome heft of the original. That thing was a diecast brick.

I think Dairugger is tied up in licensing rights...which is why you havent seen a SOC treatment of him. While hes popular...apparently not popular enough. Why Toynami made a Lion voltron and not Vehicle (Dairugger) excluding there upcoming vinyl/jumbo, beyond me. Same thing with Dangard Ace...Yamato made a version of him adn it looks like no one else will be able to touch it. Damn licensing

Last edited:
Yep, 3 forms of Voltron, Vehicle, Lion, and Alabegas which didnt air in the US, only in Japan. In the mid 80's Godaikin released a American toy, but with no cartoon to market it, obviously failed. Alabegas was the red, blue, black robot Alpha/Beta/Gamma.

Vehicle Voltron did ok in the US, hes much more popular in Japan, and the Lions did much better in the U.S.

I still have my old fat ugly voltron and I have the new toynami collectors edition, much sleeker and sexier, but doesnt have the awesome heft of the original. That thing was a diecast brick.

I think Dairugger is tied up in licensing rights...which is why you havent seen a SOC treatment of him. While hes popular...apparently not popular enough. Why Toynami made a Lion voltron and not Vehicle (Dairugger) excluding there upcoming vinyl/jumbo, beyond me. Same thing with Dangard Ace...Yamato made a version of him adn it looks like no one else will be able to touch it. Damn licensing

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 My original Voltron (brought back as a souvinere when my buddy visited Japan), was tossed because of the lead-based recall.

I still remember this show, I also remember the fights between this and MMPR:stick. Too bad, I never owned a Voltron, mom wouldn't let me have it:gah:. I guess now is a good time to start collecting them:bunnydanc.

First Thundercats...now VOLTRON!

This just keeps getting better...viva la 80s!

From figures.com

All old is new again as the resurgence of 1980's animated properties continues to rise as updated 'toons and toys. Following last week's announcement of the ThunderCats returning to TV and the toy aisle in 2011, news from the Licensing International Expo 2010 reveals that Mattel is developing a new line of Voltron toys.

"I am thrilled to partner with Classic Media as we introduce Voltron to a new generation of fans," said Ted Koplar, president of WEP. "Classic Media's exceptional brand management capability will play an integral role in the highly-anticipated relaunch of this classic property. Voltron's legacy of innovative and iconic toys is in great hands with Mattel, whose vision promises to re-imagine and re-invigorate Voltron toys like never before."

-Zoid

Re: First Thundercats...now VOLTRON!

They've already tried Voltron in CGI form in the late 90's, I believe. I wonder how they'll re-invigorate this classic for this decade...

They've already tried Voltron in CGI form in the late 90's, I believe. I wonder how they'll re-invigorate this classic for this decade...

Wasn't that just the openings? Cartoon Network was airing the show with CGI'd credits and commercial breaks.

Wasn't that just the openings? Cartoon Network was airing the show with CGI'd credits and commercial breaks.

this atrocity
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/R4bGt6Yd5rs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/R4bGt6Yd5rs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yeah i remember that horrible garbage...I watched to about the 43 second mark and seeing that corny ass robot...I couldnt watch anymore.
Lets hope its actually animated at the least and not some "3D" CG crap.

Stealth Voltron and the "3D" Voltron was Trendmasters try and trying to revive the franchise as well...holy jebus.

Back