Vader PF has left the building!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Vader has left the building!!

Yet another person who wants a relatively cheap mass produced product to be flawless. That just won't happen in this price range.

Now, if you're talking about the $1,000 Predator maquette, then I'm right there with you. Vader is a STEAL at $350. Again, if you want your products to look as you describe, be prepared to pay twice as much.

I agree, Vader looks very nice. He met expectations. I was talking about Han and Luke mainly. The "humans" just don't measure up to Vader mainly due to the painting factor being not so noticeable with Vader. I'm just saying that Sideshow's painting needs to be ramped up a couple notches, and then we'll be there. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a flawlessly painted (or near) smaller piece than a really big not so flawlessly painted one any day of the week. It's not the size here that should be the issue, but seems like that's the main draw here. It should be the quality--the practically museum (or at least display worthy) quality that is the main draw. Just my opinion mind.

Raven said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandshell
I may be nitpicking here, but these aren't $300 a pop. They retail for $250 each, and can be found quite easily for less than $200.

The Han exclusive is/was $299. Regular was $250 yeah, but these are the first. I would expect prices to go up over time. So I rounded around the $300 range. But that's just splitting hairs. Fact is, these are over $200 each and they aren't painted to match the protos. If they were, I would have no complaints. But as they're pretty much just show pieces since they're pretty well stuck in the one pose, they really should shine in the *show* department. Sure they look good, but they don't give off that WOW vibe. A 12" Hasbro figure has near that quality of paint apps. And they're $20!! So for $200+, the paint really should be light years better, and they're just not. I have no problems with the tailoring. It looks great, but if the face is off...eh who cares??

That's not to say Ben won't be amazing once he comes out, but you can't go back and change history. Luke and Han are done. And they fall short. Yes, you can find them for MUCH less now, but retail was $250 and that's what they should be judged at, not the great deal you find on Ebay (or wherever).

this is where Luis spits coffee all over his TV screen WHAT?!?! No offense Raven, but I'm extremely confident that you either haven't seen either of the Han or Luke PF statue's, or you're just trying to get a rise out of people.

If you don't mind, post pics of a 12" Hasbro Han next to the PF Han. If you can't, I have evey 12" Hasbro Han made and can do it. Just let me know which one.

Mini-Rock said:
this is where Luis spits coffee all over his TV screen WHAT?!?! No offense Raven, but I'm extremely confident that you either haven't seen either of the Han or Luke PF statue's, or you're just trying to get a rise out of people.

If you don't mind, post pics of a 12" Hasbro Han next to the PF Han. If you can't, I have evey 12" Hasbro Han made and can do it. Just let me know which one.

Yeah, I agree. Saying the SS paint apps are lacking is one thing, but comparing Hasbro figures to them?! I've owned 2 Lukes (Regular and Exclusive) and 1 Han, and the paint really isn't that bad. There is some shading in the face that I wish was done differently, but I've been pleased with all of them.

They are easily the best Luke and Han statues EVER made, IMO. I'd love to see a better statue of either character. When I say that, I really would like to see it, because I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It simply doesn't exist.

The size of these pieces is part of their appeal to me. The facial detail would be lost by shrinking them to a smaller size. Not to mention the fact that the larger the scale, the more realistic the fabric looks. May I suggest that if you aren't pleased with the price/detail of the 1/4 scale that you stick with the 1/6 line? Those are $50 figures and seem to be more in line with what you are looking for. They will give you the "bang for your buck" that you seem to be craving.

elwood49 said:
Yet another person who wants a relatively cheap mass produced product to be flawless. That just won't happen in this price range.

Maybe it's because I don't make big money but I don't consider anything $250+ cheap or relatively cheap.

Han and Luke had some issues with paint apps I agree Raven. However, to compare them to anything like a Hasbro 12" is just plain silly. They are really solid items and most of the Hans I've seen now are pretty good. Luke is still a little weak IMO but that's gonna happen when your having items that are hand painted. Humans make mistakes. Vader just looks like he plain ole kicks ass and looks like what I see everytime I watch SW. I couldn't be happier to have him coming and be my first 1/4 piece. Now, I just gotta figure out if I can afford to get Ben as well.

Not trying to get a rise out of anything. Just calling it as I see 'em and posting my opinion. I have seen the PF Luke and Han. The bleed lines and over-pronounced eyebrows of the PF Han look like a Hasbro job to me. Not the professional quality expected of paying over $250 for what you get. The Luke just looks weird. Don't know what happened there.

Feel free. The sculpt is much better on the PF, but for $250 you'd hope so! It's not a bash on the company. I'd be disappointed in Hasbro too if I paid that much and got less than expected. I only had the PF Han on wait list. After seeing the final product, didn't bother me at all that I didn't get one.

May I suggest that if you aren't pleased with the price/detail of the 1/4 scale that you stick with the 1/6 line? Those are $50 figures and seem to be more in line with what you are looking for. They will give you the "bang for your buck" that you seem to be craving.
Can't I have both? Sorry this just seems like a dig more than anything. I'm full within my rights to say what I do and don't like about a SS product as long as it's constructively done. Which I think I've done. Maybe saying "Hasbro quality" seems like an attack, but it's only because the painting really is sub-par. I have no problem with the sculpts. They are top notch.

And for the record, too soon to tell for sure, but it *looks* like the 12 inch line's product will be turning out better than the PF line! For a $50 figure to look better than a 250 dollar figure, well something's not right there....

But like I said, Ben could turn it all around. :peace

jlcmsu said:
Maybe it's because I don't make big money but I don't consider anything $250+ cheap or relatively cheap.

I said relatively cheap meaning cheaper in price compared to the high end products we're seeing in today's market. Looking at my list of the items I have on preoder, I have 14 items that I plan on making a part of my collection. Only 2 are cheaper than Vader (Leia and Obi-Wan Exclusives), so I feel justified in saying that Vader is "cheap" relative to other products that I collect.

elwood49 said:
I said relatively cheap meaning cheaper in price compared to the high end products we're seeing in today's market. Looking at my list of the items I have on preoder, I have 14 items that I plan on making a part of my collection. Only 2 are cheaper than Vader (Leia and Obi-Wan Exclusives), so I feel justified in saying that Vader is "cheap" relative to other products that I collect.

I agree that Vader is "relatively cheap" especially when compared to Attakus Vader 1 and 2 which are $1-2k.

elwood49 said:

Again maybe that's because "you" make more money than I do being a Teacher so dropping $300 on Vader isn't a big deal but to me that ain't cheap or relatively cheap. He is a nice hunk and a lot of other pieces I want or would like to get are more exspensive. So being someone that really has to work to get things like this instead of just being able to spend how I like I feel justified in saying I don't consider Vader cheap. Not everyone is as lucky as you Elwood. ;)

Vader costs about as much as I could possibly spend. The big bucks spent on Attakus, etc. is not possible for me. I am thrilled that the one line that I can (barely) afford also happens to be my favorite. I love the costuming on the PF line, and I can find no fault with the Han and Luke in my collection. I only expect more of the same as the line continues. There's a LOT of other things you could do with almost $400 (after tax and shipping) than spend it on a Vader statue. If I wasn't totally satisfied with the quality I was getting, I wouldn't be spending the money on these guys.

Speaking for myself, I love these things and I feel that I am getting my money's worth. Anybody who agrees will join me in loving them. If you disagree--my enjoyment is meaningless to you, and you should either not order it or get your money back.

If you have one on order, just do yourself a favor--look at it in person first, then return it to Sideshow for a refund if you're not satisfied. I was doubtful about Han until I saw him in person. Take advantage of Sideshow's generous return policy and see for yourself!

jlcmsu said:
Again maybe that's because "you" make more money than I do being a Teacher so dropping $300 on Vader isn't a big deal but to me that ain't cheap or relatively cheap.

:banghead :banghead :banghead

I don't care how much money you make. I do OK myself, but I'm FAR from rich. Maybe one day my law practice will be doing well enough, but today is not that day. With all of my debt from law school, I'm sure there are many people here doing significantly better than I am.

I'm simply stating that you could get 3-4 SS Vaders for the price of a Vader I. I think you need to understand that "relatively cheap" means cheap in relation to another object.

Last edited:

elwood49 said:

Bang your head all you want but some of $300 is a big hunk of change. I'm glad for you it's not and that other pieces you want you consider exspensive. :D

Well MSRP's are great and all but 90% of the time I dont pay them. For me this line is a steal for what I am getting......

Jesse

Attakus prices are another deal entirely. I won't even go there. You have to be getting into the modern art arena at those prices. Either that or you have too much money for your own good. :D

Yes, compared to THOSE prices, SS MSRP is a steal.

elwood49 said:
I'm simply stating that you could get 3-4 SS Vaders for the price of a Vader I. I think you need to understand that "relatively cheap" means cheap in relation to another object.

Who gives a crap if it's realitvely cheaper to the Attakus Vader! I'm not buying that because one I don't care for it all that much and two it's really exspensive. I think YOU need to understand that when you start talking about items that are in the hundreds or thousands of dollars the word cheap goes out the window! I consider something cheap when it's under about $200 bucks.

Again if you consider the SS Vader cheap that's great for you. I'd say many of the rest of us consider it a tad bit of a stretch compared to other items or no.

jlcmsu said:
Who gives a crap if it's realitvely cheaper to the Attakus Vader! I'm not buying that because one I don't care for it all that much and two it's really exspensive. I think YOU need to understand that when you start talking about items that are in the hundreds or thousands of dollars the word cheap goes out the window! I consider something cheap when it's under about $200 bucks.

Again if you consider the SS Vader cheap that's great for you. I'd say many of the rest of us consider it a tad bit of a stretch compared to other items or no.

Bad day Josh?

Gruson said:
Bad day Josh?

No not at all.

Elwood and I just don't see eye 2 eye on many things. I guess it's cause we are from two different worlds. To me spending anything over $200 isn't cheap so getting Vader is something I have to figure out how I can afford it. While it seems Elwood can just buy things whenever he chooses. So he looks at Vader as relatively cheap compared to other pieces or not. I don't disagree when compairing it to the Attakus piece or CM pieces the SS Vader is cheaper than those, but I could care less about those kind of example because I'm not buying those pieces and the SS Vader for me ain't cheap. I mean hell if you wanna use those kind of examples the Predator Maquette is cheap when compared to what the Original Rog is going for. My point is exspensive is exspensive especially when your a middle class kid making middle class money.

Hey Josh, why did this become so personal? :confused: I think the point that elwood was making is this Vader is relatively cheap compared to the others that are out there - and some other collectible lines. I never read what he was saying as arrogant or even hinting that the sum was insignificant, but just that it is much cheaper (though still expensive) than some other alternatives. :peace

To me spending anything over $200 isn't cheap so getting Vader is something I have to figure out how I can afford it. While it seems Elwood can just buy things whenever he chooses. So he looks at Vader as relatively cheap compared to other pieces or not.

This reminds me greatly of a discussion a former friend and I had several times a few years back. I say "former" not because we hate each other now, just that we moved from each other and we don't really keep in touch. Anyway, he was a spoilt rich kid who pretty well got everything he wanted. He wanted the best stereo system money could buy? Bam. One swipe of the card and it was his. He wanted a $200 toy? No problem. He seemed to spend money like there was no end to it. Living off his parents all through school. He wasn't a bad guy really, just spoiled. Anyway, I would ask him about things, about whether component A was all that much better than component B or what he saw in Component C that made it worth $2000 while I was looking at component D that was about $300 for everything. He always said "cheap" and "good" don't mix and went about his merry way. Drove me crazy, cause basically he was saying that nothing I could afford was "good" but it was "good enough" for me. I'm sure he didn't mean to be that rude, but that's how it came off.

Note: I'm not saying anyone here is spoiled . I wouldn't make that assumption. I'm just saying my friend definately WAS spoiled.

Anyway, I never did get what was so much *better* about the higher priced things, other than maybe a status or "it's more expensive it has to be good" mentality.

Cheap is relative, but I think $200 and under is a good measure. Anything over that, and I think you start to alienate many people. At that point, you're paying a 'good amount' Heck any time you pay what equates to a television in price, I think that should qualify for "not cheap" no matter what it is. Unless it's a house or a car.

Stop bitchin now you guys...:peace

Play nice with you statues..:D

Now then.........

Dave more pics pleeeaaaseeeeeee..:D

WW :Wizard

LOTRFan said:
Hey Josh, why did this become so personal? :confused: I think the point that elwood was making is this Vader is relatively cheap compared to the others that are out there - and some other collectible lines. I never read what he was saying as arrogant or even hinting that the sum was insignificant, but just that it is much cheaper (though still expensive) than some other alternatives. :peace

I'm just saying from my viewpoint that it isn't cheap. Yes, compared to other Vader pieces like Attakus he is cheaper. I said I didn't disagree with that but I just don't consider the SS Vader a realtively cheap product in general. I can't afford to go after the Attakus Vader's so I don't worry about compairing them to this Vader. Compared or not this Vader ain't cheap. Cheaper yes. Cheap no.

Back