Vader PF has left the building!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Vader has left the building!!

Raven said:
He always said "cheap" and "good" don't mix and went about his merry way. Drove me crazy, cause basically he was saying that nothing I could afford was "good" but it was "good enough" for me. I'm sure he didn't mean to be that rude, but that's how it came off.

Anyway, I never did get what was so much *better* about the higher priced things, other than maybe a status or "it's more expensive it has to be good" mentality.

Cheap is relative, but I think $200 and under is a good measure. Anything over that, and I think you start to alienate many people. At that point, you're paying a 'good amount' Heck any time you pay what equates to a television in price, I think that should qualify for "not cheap" no matter what it is. Unless it's a house or a car.

:D Bingo :D

I don't think you're getting what elwood is saying. He's not saying Vader is cheap. He's saying it's cheap relative to some other piece. You're arguing a point he isn't making. One definition of cheap is "Colloquialism implying that a security/commodity is underpriced". Which in elwoods opinion is true and I share that opinion. I would also say that Vader to me is expensive so the piece can be both cheap and expensive.

Fritz said:
I don't think you're getting what elwood is saying. He's not saying Vader is cheap. He's saying it's cheap relative to some other piece. You're arguing a point he isn't making.

I get the fact he isn't saying the SS Vader is cheap that's not what I meant. I'm not aruging the fact that Vader is cheap when compared to more exspensive products. I'm saying that anything over $200 aint cheap compared or not.:google

I'm saying who gives a rats whazoo if he is cheaper compared to the Attakus pieces or whatever. The higher the price of an item the more thought it takes to figure out if you can afford it or not especially when you go over the $200 threshold.

Again from my point of view if a product is more than $200 I don't use the word cheap compared or not.

That's all.:D

Come on guys what would Darth say?

Crook.jpg

Who the hell cares if it's cheap to Elwood and not cheap to you.

Get over it and enjoy the piece.

Now, I am ready for more pics since I have to wait until Wed!!!

Gruson said:

I was just simply trying to have a discussion on how someone might see it as cheap and another might not.

Get over the fact a discussion was going on.:rolleyes:

I have an idea. The whole argument/discussion centers around the word "cheap". Since that's such a hot topic, why don't we use the word "value" as in is it a better "value" than other like items? If my friend had only said that, I might not have wanted to drive his BMW off the closest bridge. :naughty

Given that, I will have to say, I personally think that for what you get, the SS Vader is a much better VALUE than almost any other Vader statue on the market. What d'ya think guys? Compromise? :joy :banana :peace

Raven said:
I have an idea. The whole argument/discussion centers around the word "cheap". Since that's such a hot topic, why don't we use the word "value" as in is it a better "value" than other like items? If my friend had only said that, I might not have wanted to drive his BMW off the closest bridge. :naughty

Given that, I will have to say, I personally think that for what you get, the SS Vader is a much better VALUE than almost any other Vader statue on the market. What d'ya think guys? Compromise? :joy :banana :peace

It's all good. I agree for how cool the SS Vader is the bang for your buck is very high.

Anyone who gets this, could you please post the dimensions (width X depth X height)? I really want to have the acrylic case here ready for the piece. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

When and how did this thread go from wanting to see pictures of Vader to a financial thread? Do we collect for profit or fun? I for one believe that when all you see is dollars and cents, it becomes a buisness and no longer a hobby. By that I do not mean we should not be concerned by the prices of figures we collect, we should. What I am saying is if your intent is to purchase with the hopes of making a killing on the secondary market, where is the fun part come into play? I collect figures because I like them and when I sell something it is usually to purchase something else, not to try and gouge a fellow collector. There have been to many threads concerned with dollar value IMO. Let's put the focus back to a hobby and not a buisness.

88th division said:
When and how did this thread go from wanting to see pictures of Vader to a financial thread? Do we collect for profit or fun? I for one believe that when all you see is dollars and cents, it becomes a buisness and no longer a hobby. By that I do not mean we should not be concerned by the prices of figures we collect, we should. What I am saying is if your intent is to purchase with the hopes of making a killing on the secondary market, where is the fun part come into play? I collect figures because I like them and when I sell something it is usually to purchase something else, not to try and gouge a fellow collector. There have been to many threads concerned with dollar value IMO. Let's put the focus back to a hobby and not a buisness.

I'm with ya.:banana

I collect figures because I like them and when I sell something it is usually to purchase something else, not to try and gouge a fellow collector.

I agree and try to have the same approach. However, if I think I might want to keep a piece for a while and then let it go to fund another purchase, it's good to know that it will hold its value. For some of us, it's the only way that we can keep picking up new items--for reasons of both money and space.

Here's a little story:

I once had tickets to see U2--great seats. It turns out I couldn't go. By that time, the sold out tickets were worth much more than I had originally paid. I intended to use the tickets when I bought them, but ultimately had to give them up. How much did I sell them for--my cost, or the going rate?

Mini-Rock said:
Anyone who gets this, could you please post the dimensions (width X depth X height)? I really want to have the acrylic case here ready for the piece. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm thinking of getting an acrylic case for Vader to.
Dimensions and a size for the case would be appreciated.

I think you might want to go back and read the thread again. You're seeing things that aren't there. I know I've never made that claim. The point of the whole discussion was what was "cheap" or a good "value" not what we could gouge it for later on. I collect for fun. That being said, I can't ignore the fact that $350 is leaving my wallet. If you can ignore that, you might just be able to call these things "cheap" ;)

However, it is always nice to know that what you buy doesn't drop in value just in CASE you ever had to sell it later on for financial reasons. I certainly don't call that a "business" mindset. I don't think anyone likes to see what they purchased for $200 become suddenly available for $100 or less. I know it happens with electronics all the time, but there are FAR more of those made than limited collectibles.

Gruson said:

Now, I am ready for more pics since I have to wait until Wed!!!

Thank you! :)

I will NEVER talk about the price of an item ever again.:rolleyes:

Fritz said:
I don't think you're getting what elwood is saying. He's not saying Vader is cheap. He's saying it's cheap relative to some other piece. You're arguing a point he isn't making. One definition of cheap is "Colloquialism implying that a security/commodity is underpriced". Which in elwoods opinion is true and I share that opinion. I would also say that Vader to me is expensive so the piece can be both cheap and expensive.

Thank you Fritz. Yes, I think paying $370 or so for a figure is expensive. I'm sure Fritz himself would tell you that $370 is cheap compared to that Aragorn he's been searching after for so long. ;)

I can't wait to get Vader!!!!!!:peace

Raven. I am not calling them cheap in price, and if you would go back to the beginning of this thread you would see it was about pictures not prices.

Raven. I am not calling them cheap in price, and if you would go back to the beginning of this thread you would see it was about pictures not prices.

Pictures, prices, whatever, the thread's about Vader. How you interpret that is up to you. If you go back to my first post, I was only giving my impressions of how the line was looking and would look with Vader. I had said I was a little let down by the first two, Vader looked good, and I was hoping Ben would be the one to break the cycle. I too, would like to know how it evolved into a financial thread. :rolleyes: Anyway...

Like elwood said:

"I can't wait to get Vader"! :peace

Back