UPDATED- Hot Toys – MIS12 -1/6th scale Bruce Lee Collectible Figure (In Casual Wear)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toy Hunters posted this on their blog:

HotToysFirstDisplay1SMALLER.jpg

HotToysFirstDisplay3SMALLER.jpg

wow, is that photoshopped? ...can't tell if its real.

Where did you get this?
...I sort of collect rare Lee photos online but haven't seen this one. I have the ones of him standing in that outfit. I was wondering how they came up with the beach chair as an accessory.

Where did you get this?
...I sort of collect rare Lee photos online but haven't seen this one. I have the ones of him standing in that outfit. I was wondering how they came up with the beach chair as an accessory.

GungFu has been pulling out some rare and hard-to-find pics - check out the other MIS thread:

..and he's got the back story behind that pic too - definitely not photoshopped :)

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91461&page=16

Oh yeah, this now includes a 'thumbs up' and 'v for victory/peace sign' hand as well !!!

I am now officially SO sold.

I was telling myself...well its not perfect, it needs a 'peace sign' hand LOL

knowsnotoys said:
Was there ever a documentary or a video with Bruce Lee on a beach chair? How ICONic is the beach chair in Bruce Lee's persona and life?

No, the beach-chair has no meaning of significant at all, nor was it iconic in any way. It was just a chair that happened to be on the boat on that particular photo shoot. The boat was docked at the Hong Kong harbour at the time of the photo session. Bruce did these photos to promote himself as a Superstar and actor in Hong Kong for the movie company he worked for Golden Harvest, and nothing else.

Where did you get this?

It is a real photo of Bruce Lee and it is not photoshopped. It was featured in the Golden Harvest movie magazine “Golden Movie News” number 23 if I am not mistaken...
smiley.gif

GungFu has been pulling out some rare and hard-to-find pics - check out the other MIS thread:

..and he's got the back story behind that pic too - definitely not photoshopped :)

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91461&page=16

Thank you LeJuan for making me feel very welcome here
smiley.gif

I like to help out if I can, so please do not hesitate to ask.

GungFu is a friend of mine, he's the real deal :lol

Not just a friend - but a true brother !

He's been feeding us tasty treats since he got here and his post count is only 13 :bow

Damn... Unlucky 13 - lets make this post LUCKY number 14 ! Hehe...
smiley.gif

So they are making a figure with a reused headsculpt based off of an obscure and non-iconic publicity photo that even fans of the actor are unfamilliar with?

So they are making a figure with a reused headsculpt based off of an obscure and non-iconic publicity photo that even fans of the actor are unfamilliar with?

Yup seems so and I appreciate HT for doing that. Shows a rarely seen side that is above and beyond his movie characters. And these particular set of photos may be more "iconic" in HK.

Regardless I like this casual over the suit. It is more uniquely Bruce.

Thank Gungfu for sharing the info!

I really don't get these comments.

For fans that must have an iconic movie based figure, the DX Enter the Dragon is coming out.

I owned the Enterbay EtD A and B and sold them years ago. I now have the Enterbay Enter the Dragon statue (which is the single best Lee piece I believe)......I just don't need another one, even if Hot Toys are raising the 1/6 bar there.

This is something fun and different for Lee fans that have multiple figures and statues already.

The publicity pic with the chair is one I hadn't seen before, but the outfit he's wearing is familiar to most Bruce Lee fans.

I'm with Kamen, Sab and probably most others on this thread in digging the decision HT have made in bringing us a different side of Bruce.

How much everyone else digs it, we'll just have to wait and see how well it sells.

No, the beach-chair has no meaning of significant at all, nor was it iconic in any way. It was just a chair that happened to be on the boat on that particular photo shoot. The boat was docked at the Hong Kong harbour at the time of the photo session. Bruce did these photos to promote himself as a Superstar and actor in Hong Kong for the movie company he worked for Golden Harvest, and nothing else.

Wow thanks sir! I really appreciate it!:)

This is just my personal opinion, and I might be wrong, but I believe the head sculpt has been originated by a “The Way of the Dragon” scene and photograph where Bruce’s character Tang Long is smiling – but there it is evident that he has gone to also be inspired and taken details from other smiling Bruce photographs (not necessary just one photograph or rare for that matter).

WayoftheDragonSmilescene.jpg

The scene in "The Way of the Dragon" - with Bruce smiling (and short hair cut)

When Arnie first presented photos of the head sculpt he was working on it had the exact same short hair cut Bruce had in “The Way of the Dragon”, but then some times after during the process he posted picture of Bruce wearing a beanie - and when Hot Toys first presented the first teaser photo it did not no longer had that same short hair cut.

BruceLeeheadsculpt_PhotobyArnieKim_2.jpg

Smiling head sculpt with the same characteristic short hair as in “The Way of the Dragon“

I would say Arnie would be the only one to really answer this - so this is only speculations on my part. But I might also add that I have followed Arnie on his blog and Facebook profile – plus some occasional chat and e-mails with him.

Thank Gungfu for sharing the info!

Kamensurfer, the pleasure is all mine
smiley.gif
– and I also have a feeling regarding this set might not so much appeal to a wider ranges of collectors (and fans).

The publicity pic with the chair is one I hadn't seen before, but the outfit he's wearing is familiar to most Bruce Lee fans.

I'm with Kamen, Sab and probably most others on this thread in digging the decision HT have made in bringing us a different side of Bruce.

How much everyone else digs it, we'll just have to wait and see how well it sells.

I am with LeJuan here ! And yes, most Bruce Lee fans have seen photos of Bruce wearing this particular outfit - not only that, Bruce even had this string open shirt in at least one more colour in his personal wardrobe as I have seen pictures of him wearing a light coloured version of it.

Wow thanks sir! I really appreciate it!:)

My pleasure Knowsnotoys
smiley.gif

This is just my personal opinion, and I might be wrong, but I believe the head sculpt has been originated by a “The Way of the Dragon” scene and photograph where Bruce’s character Tang Long is smiling – but there it is evident that he has gone to also be inspired and taken details from other smiling Bruce photographs (not necessary just one photograph or rare for that matter).

WayoftheDragonSmilescene.jpg

The scene in "The Way of the Dragon" - with Bruce smiling (and short hair cut)

When Arnie first presented photos of the head sculpt he was working on it had the exact same short hair cut Bruce had in “The Way of the Dragon”, but then some times after during the process he posted picture of Bruce wearing a beanie - and when Hot Toys first presented the first teaser photo it did not no longer had that same short hair cut.

BruceLeeheadsculpt_PhotobyArnieKim_2.jpg

Smiling head sculpt with the same characteristic short hair as in “The Way of the Dragon“

I would say Arnie would be the only one to really answer this - so this is only speculations on my part. But I might also add that I have followed Arnie on his blog and Facebook profile – plus some occasional chat and e-mails with him.

Kamensurfer, the pleasure is all mine
smiley.gif
– and I also have a feeling regarding this set might not so much appeal to a wider ranges of collectors (and fans).

I agree:goodpost:

After more careful inspection, I found that the body for this figure is not exactly the same as the DX04 BD and EX. This body is more relaxed (you can see that his chest is smoother).

After more careful inspection, I found that the body for this figure is not exactly the same as the DX04 BD and EX. This body is more relaxed (you can see that his chest is smoother).

I haven't compared them side by side yet, but are you sure this couldn't be the lighting? It would surprise me if HT went to the effort of developing 2 different bodies for Bruce, but if they are different bodies I hope they're the same height.

Also if they are different that'd be no good for folks wanting to pick up an extra DX muscular body - the prices'd really go through the roof on these.

Nope its the same body.
Check the lighting on different pics of the DX figure. Depending on what light is used, it looks smoother or more ripped.

And there is no way Hot Toys has gone to the trouble of developing another Bruce Lee body for these 'casual 'figures where they have used the same head sculpt twice and are selling for only $130-140.

Back