Updated Frodo PF Production Photo's!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has been said the color of the lips bothers me more than the eye does. The explanations we've gotten I tend to agree with if the photo I like to use was the refrence pic. His eye is a little off center in that pic and if you zoomed in I'm sure would look a little like he had lazy eye.

I think its pupil off centre and not lazy eye. My Sean Connery has the same fault which you will notice as you walk closer to the figure. I hope they get it sorted. Otherwise i think it looks well. Likeness is not 100% more like 90% there.

The likeness is not 100% as stated above. It's close, and better than the SSW piece, but not quite there.

And Josh, for $250, I should'nt have to angle a statue to hide a defect.

Darth Loki said:
And Josh, for $250, I should'nt have to angle a statue to hide a defect.

I saying the angle at which you would normally pose it not to try and hide anything. I'm not planning on having this in a straight line setup. Mine will have som of an angle to show what he might be looking at.

I'm talking about something similar to this:

choopie said:

Is the image on the left the prototype? If so, I'll be in the minority here and say, with the exception of the flesh tone, the prototype looks better than the new production pic.

His lips and his jawline match the photo much closer than the production photo does. But the setting of eyes in the prototype look better.

I agree, the new flesh tones increased the likeness to warm-blooded, but the lips, eyebrows, and eye are drawbacks to me. I still don't see EW there, but am happy for the buyers that improvements have been made.

It looks like Frodo in drag! :lol Those eyebrows are pretty crazy, the lips not so bad, but almost as bad as Anakin. wow, no thanks for me.

Based on the new production photo's, the left eye is off and the lips and eyebrows are too dark in my opinion. However, I don't think that's enough for me not to like the figure and I won't know for sure until he's sitting on my shelf. I don't know why so many people don't like the other 'lazy eye', 12" Cordelia? I don't think it's bad at all, I actually like it quite a bit.

Something else to consider. It's possible that they hired a new painter at the shop in China that has a lazy eye and thinks that's normal. :monkey5

Also, I would think it's in Sideshow's best interest to spend a little more time and resources on photography. Taking pictures that aren't overly flattering I'm sure has an affect on orders and cancellation. The exact same product photographed, editted, photoshopped, enhanced, etc. I'm certain would generate more interest in the product and less cancellations. I don't know if that's the case here but generally speaking, I'm conviced what I say is accurate. For example, I think a picture such as the one on the top taken by Chuck would generate a more positive response than the Sideshow one on the bottom. Don't you think?

gtwsf2.jpg

9336_image01.jpg

True, although Gandalf on Shadowfax is something to behold. Photos don't do it justice in my opinion.

Yeah, taking photos that don't show things off very well will hurt sales for sure. That's why with a piece like this where the head is at a weird angle I wouldn't take a straight on shot so close. The photo needs to mirror what the piece is doing to a degree. At least that's how I would approach it but I'm no photo taking master by any means.

Vince said:
I think Frodo looks more then amazing !!

The sculpt is very very good, there is definately a good likeness, it's Frodo as I remember him from the movies.
And I didn't even notice the lazy eye at first.

I'm sure this will be a stunning addition to the PF line !

Are you people blind?Am i really the only one who thinks there is barely any likeness to Mr.Wood? Take a look at the figure/actor photo comparison earlier in this thread...uuuggghhh!! I will be cancelling mine if this is the best they can do for that sort of money.Lazy eye? Look at the eyes as a whole..they are terrible.Too big,wrong colour and looks like he has a thyroid problem.A great shame as i really wanted to collect this whole line but looks like I will have to go elsewhere for likeness orientated figures.

What a Hoo Haa. I could understand if it was a bust, but you've really got to look at the figure as a whole, and as Josh says the eyes are unnoticable in the other pics.

The figure is a great representation of EW in my opinion.

bonsey said:
Are you people blind?Am i really the only one who thinks there is barely any likeness to Mr.Wood?...

Could be true but please show me a picture of any other collectible figure and/or statue that has a better likeness to Elijah wood. It's certainly better than any Toybiz figure and at least as good as either the Weta bust or statue which each have their own faults as well.

For me personally I don't need a figure to be an exact carbon copy likeness of the actor. It has to be cool, well done overall and remind me of whatever character it's supposed to be. The test for me is that if someone comes over to my place and has no prior knowledge of the character/figure and knows right off the bat who it's supposed to be, the artist did his job. I think that'll be the case with Frodo. This statue has so many more positives than negatives so I'll chose to focus on those. Like the base for example, that's worth the price of admission alone. But if likeness to Elijah Wood is a major point, you'll just have to wait on Gentle Giant to produce a bust (which will be based on a scan of the actor) and you'll probably get a great likeness.

Now I certainly don't want to or mean to sway anyones opinion, if you don't like the figure then by all means don't like it. It's your prerogative and you have a right to an opinion as does anyone else. :wave

Fritz said:
Could be true but please show me a picture of any other collectible figure and/or statue that has a better likeness to Elijah wood. It's certainly better than any Toybiz figure and at least as good as either the Weta bust or statue which each have their own faults as well.

For me personally I don't need a figure to be an exact carbon copy likeness of the actor. It has to be cool, well done overall and remind me of whatever character it's supposed to be. The test for me is that if someone comes over to my place and has no prior knowledge of the character/figure and knows right off the bat who it's supposed to be, the artist did his job. I think that'll be the case with Frodo. This statue has so many more positives than negatives so I'll chose to focus on those. Like the base for example, that's worth the price of admission alone. But if likeness to Elijah Wood is a major point, you'll just have to wait on Gentle Giant to produce a bust (which will be based on a scan of the actor) and you'll probably get a great likeness.

Now I certainly don't want to or mean to sway anyones opinion, if you don't like the figure then by all means don't like it. It's your prerogative and you have a right to an opinion as does anyone else. :wave

There has not been one which makes this all the more disappointing.An oppurtunity missed in my opinion.I agree the rest of the statue is nice but i think I will wait for a GG bust to get Frodo if the Strider one is anything to go by.Will be able to nearly get the whole Fellowship too for the price of this statue.

Darklord Dave said:
The lighter skin tone is much improved - Elijah never was much of a tanning bed kind of guy.

Lots of people have been calling this way of painting the eyes "lazy eye" but I've never had a problem with it. I think it's more a stylistic approach than something wrong witht the paint process.

You're not serious are you Dave? What Picasso meets Lord of the Rings? Wait, I mean Picasso meets Lord of the Rings eyes?
Feldman.gif

7144_press07-001.jpg

Marty_Feldman_ameri_186080m.jpg

Ah I see the stylistic approach...:confused:

Last edited:
Fubeca said:
Ah I see the sylistic approach...:confused:

:rotfl

I thought I heard it all. But this "stylistic" excuse sinks to an all new low of fanboyism.

Just admit that the eye needs to be fixed on this $250 statue. It doesn't mean you hate Sideshow, it means you expect quality for your money.

The eyes looked fine in the first proto.

DetroitSportsFan said:
:rotfl

I thought I heard it all. But this "stylistic" excuse sinks to an all new low of fanboyism.

Just admit that the eye needs to be fixed on this $250 statue. It doesn't mean you hate Sideshow, it means you expect quality for your money.

The eyes looked fine in the first proto.

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen Amen!!!
Church%20sings%203.JPG

jlcmsu said:
Tis true!! :lol :lol

Funny,because my girlfriend just walked in the room when I was looking at this thread and said "who is that supposed to be?" and she has seen the films as many times as I have....lots in other words!!!

bonsey said:
Funny,because my girlfriend just walked in the room when I was looking at this thread and said "who is that supposed to be?" and she has seen the films as many times as I have....lots in other words!!!
:lol :lol :lol

Back