Updated Frodo PF Production Photo's!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonehead15 said:
I call a lazy eye a lazy eye. :monkey3

I don't care which direction Frodo; or for that matter ANY statue, PF, 1/6 figure,WHATEVER; is looking in BOTH eyes should be facing in the same direction. To argue that point is just stupid.

the look worked for Marty!

marty_feldman.jpg

Bonehead15 said:
I guess you haven't seen the Cordelia figure yet. :monkey3

I did. That figure did not come out well at all. I would be upset with that one. I'm pretty sure even SS would admit that one wasnt one of their tops.

you guys are all worrying about the eyes. What about that mouth? That is what is really wrong with this whole face. The mouth is just plain wrong and makes him look like he's pouting for the boys. Gay? No, I didn't say that.

Darklord Dave said:
The eyes are painted that way on the PF Buffy and 1/6 Cordelia.

It's an artistic style known as CONTRAOCULO. Look it up in any art book.
The great Renaissance painters used it to remind their audiences that man is but mortal and cannot hope to attain the perfection of God.
And thus no artist should try to.

Okay, so I made that up - but it SOUNDS true...

images_res.gif

Your search - CONTRAOCULO - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try not making poo up
Try getting painters that know what the h*ll they are doing.

Darth Rage said:
images_res.gif

Your search - CONTRAOCULO - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try not making poo up
Try getting painters that know what the h*ll they are doing.

:horror

I do think it is a bit odd that SS would find that close-up acceptable. I don't however think it will look like that when all is said and done. Leia is proof enough for me - which by the way, seeing as though SS fixed her, means that there was something that needed fixing.

My first reaction was...

"Holy smokes look at that lazy eye!!"

But upon further diving into the newly posted pics I saw that this 'eye problem' is practically or is non-existent from different angles. Considering the pose the statue will take in the end I'm not too worried about this lazy eye problem.

I have the Cordelia figure as well and she does have that annoying 'lazy eye' problem when you look at her dead on but angle her slightly and the problem isn't as noticable (at least for the figure I have).

There are some really nice improvements in the piece over the prototype IMO. I'm still very much looking forward to getting the figure..

I like the updated production photos better. I'm sad about the lazy eye. So, I am probably going to hold off on it for now. Maybe if it becomes available as a second chance, I might try and pick it up then.

What I don't get about the lazy eye issue is why it's appearing all of the sudden. I've got two dozen Sideshow figures dating back years and not one has a lazy eye, I've got maybe 75 figures from Dragon, bbi, Medicom, DiD, TwistingToyz, Volks, Hot Toys and more and not one has ever even semi-appeared to have this lazy eye issue. My Seven of Nine PF didn't have lazy eye and neither have many other PFs I've seen in person even my Buffy only has it to a minor extent and because of her eyelashes you REALLY have to look for it to see it, but suddenly Sideshow wants to follow some obscure Italian tradition? It's just weird. Just paint the eyes pointing in the same direction and it'll look good straight on and from angles.

I like all the figure but the eyes is the problem and do someone notice this:

LOTR: Frodo Baggins Premium Format figure - #7144 Now Jan 2007

I think Frodo looks more then amazing !!

The sculpt is very very good, there is definately a good likeness, it's Frodo as I remember him from the movies.
And I didn't even notice the lazy eye at first.

I'm sure this will be a stunning addition to the PF line !

pitchin said:
MAJOR LAZY EYE!!!

yeah i saw that too! I hope for your guys' sake they dont include that in the ones they send out. Or else Buffy PF will have a new best friend :monkey1

CAhobbit said:
But upon further diving into the newly posted pics I saw that this 'eye problem' is practically or is non-existent from different angles. Considering the pose the statue will take in the end I'm not too worried about this lazy eye problem.

That's what I'm saying. Not that it isn't there in the close ups because it is. When you take it from the normal angles you'll be displaying it I think it will fit fine within the piece assuming they don't fix it. I'm not above admitting when there is a problem because the Cordellia figure appears to have them as do a few other SS pieces. Just let's take everything into account before we fly off the handle. It has nothing to do with being a SS Fanboy as much as it does taking everything into account.

Well according to Josh, there is no lazy eye. And it's his unbiased oppinion that matters. It doesn't matter that 90% of the posts in this thread have complained or mentioned it. What he says is law, so let's just drop the lazy eye stuff.

In all seriousness, I don't expect to have production pieces look like this. And if they do, I'll have a lot more room and money for SW.

Darth Loki said:
Well according to Josh, there is no lazy eye. And it's his unbiased oppinion that matters. It doesn't matter that 90% of the posts in this thread have complained or mentioned it. What he says is law, so let's just drop the lazy eye stuff.

I know. I'm a dick, jerk, *******, prick, immature, fanboy, cheerleader, etc., etc., etc. Well, Anyone that has taken the time to get to know me knows that is not the case at all or even close to it. They know I take into account and listen to what they have to say.

Did you read my post above? I guess not. :rolleyes: It does appear to be there in the close ups but looking at the angles of the other shots it doesn't. I'm just trying to take into account all the angles the figure can be looked at instead of just 1-2.

First Buffy, then Cordelia, now this. Come on Sideshow, we'll be poor next year because of you, why don't you make it worth? It's kind of a shame.

However, except for the ridiculous lazy eye issue, this Frodo looks better than the prototype.

Is the image on the left the prototype? If so, I'll be in the minority here and say, with the exception of the flesh tone, the prototype looks better than the new production pic.

His lips and his jawline match the photo much closer than the production photo does. I can see what the artist was trying to achieve with the "lazy eye", as Frodo's right eye in the photo is a tad off-center. But the setting of eyes in the prototype look better.

Overall, it looks okay. I was much more impressed with it when I saw it at SDCC. Probably will pass on this.

I think choopie might be right, in showing that if the photo above was used as the reference, Elijah's eye is a little off center, and was trying to recreate it faithfully. Will I be disappointed if the eye is as glaring up close as it is here? yep, but I don't think the impact will be as big in the right scale, if my figure even has this problem. the mouth looks a little pouty in the close up photo too, like he has lip gloss on, but I don't see it the same way in the full figure shots. I'll take a wait and see approach, just ecstatic to be getting another LOTR PF!!!!!111ones

Back