Unsung Hero's 12" Repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 12" Figure Repaints

Cool paint jobs.

I'm wondering what is the best paint to use for repainting a Sideshow, Dragon, etc, head? I've done painting with acrylic before but for heads that were radically altered and accepted the paint fine (like my Tusken Raider). However I haven't tried getting a realistic skin-tone on a normal face yet.

Any info appreciated.

Sean

I use Liquitex Deep Portrait Pink mixed with Galeria Pale Teracotta for the basic skin tone. I also use a mix of some Liquitex reds for the base coat and for the undertones. All sealed with Liquitex matte varnish. Lips are a mix of Deep Portrait Pink and Taupe. And something that I learned from boot25 that has helped is sealing each layer before moving on to the next. Skin is translucent, your color comes from the blood underneath the skin, and he really has nailed that look. I'm working on achieving that too, but haven't come even close yet!

I use Liquitex Deep Portrait Pink mixed with Galeria Pale Teracotta for the basic skin tone. I also use a mix of some Liquitex reds for the base coat and for the undertones. All sealed with Liquitex matte varnish. Lips are a mix of Deep Portrait Pink and Taupe. And something that I learned from boot25 that has helped is sealing each layer before moving on to the next. Skin is translucent, your color comes from the blood underneath the skin, and he really has nailed that look. I'm working on achieving that too, but haven't come even close yet!

So these are acrylics? I assume you're airbrushing them on, right? Is there any difference between these acrylics and Tamiya acrylics? Anyone use enamel paints? I have some repaints to do for some customs I want to do and have tried brushing on acrylics, but it doesn't work very well (still haven't gotten an airbrush). I thought maybe enamels might work better, but I assume using an airbrush would help to eliminate problems of brushing acrylics.

Sean

Nope, hand brushing them. They are acrylics, but thicker than Tamiya's. I tend to water them down a little. They are the soft body acrylics. And just so you know, Tamiya's skin tone is very yellow. I like most of their stuff, but hate the skin tone.

Hi! I'm new here.

I've been searching for a thread about an easy way to swap every Sideshow SW figure to a Hot Toys body.

Plase, could anyone post a quick tutorial?

How to pull out heads, what tools I need, which is the best body, what to do with hands, etc...

Thanks!

General Kenobi Repaint

Just wrapped up on this one for a fellow member. :lightsabe

obi1-1.png

IMG_0783.png

Re: General Kenobi Repaint

great work. Only critique is the hair looks too bland; could be the lighting.

Lopie: Very nice. :lightsabe Im glad to see your still displaying him. He looks great!

Josh, your skillz is on another level. Those eyes are just hypnotizing.

Don't think repaints qualify as a custom

Actually there's an entire thread dedicated to SW 12" repaints... and I'll move this one over after a bit (let the Freaks see the awesome work here first).

Thanks fellas. :duff Yeah i just toss them up where i think they belong. By all means move it to the proper location:peace

Updated Luke a bit, I put him on a Hot Toys Slim body. (Hence the requested info about neck adapters) This is the best this figure has looked. Ever since I first got Luke way back, I have never felt like he looked good without his vest, and that was disappointing as I always loved the DSII look. This body is perfect for that, the costume looks really nice on it. Only change I would make it to bring in the shoulders a tad, but I'm not going to. Head is still a tad to big, so I guess I'm going to have to take a stab at it.

DSCF0785.jpg

I seem to remember people going with the narrow shoulder TT I think its called, instead of the slim TT most often because it has slightly wider shoulders and the head size isnt as obvious and the shirt shoulders fit a bit better, I could be wrong, the only HT body i have is my DX joker, but I think it has a narrow shoulder TT. Also, bringing in the shoulders might just make the head seem bigger.

Either way it still looks great, after 15 years of collecting Hasbro 12" bobble heads..err, I mean figures a slightly big head doesn't bother me. :)

Back