Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^

I thought someone might bring up that little detail! :lol

Just saying that if it were possible for a dead person to move it seems more logical that they would move slowly, due to the breakdown of there body and what I would guess would be a sluggish nervous system.

I have to say Dog soldiers, return of the living dead, the thing, hellraiser hellworld and thats about it.

Was just kidding around. I love the walking dead (or running dead, whatever). And as far as my original post last night concerning Day of the Dead, I did indeed mean the original. I don't like the new one, but am continually drawn back to the original for repeated viewings.

And when I finished my post, I flipped the tv to AMC and Magic was on. It was so creepy that I had just posted about how creepy that damn film is.

The suggestions in this thread have been great. Keep it up! :D

I have always thought that was silly.

I consider myself to be a zombie fanatic, and to try to put say, the remake of Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later into 2 different categories is silly. They're both post-apocalyptic horror movies that have large groups of mindless flesh-eaters that look like humans chasing people around at high speeds. Same with Diary of the Dead and Quarantine. Both deal with an "outbreak" that causes (what looks like) humans who lumber around slowly to attack and eat human flesh.

The same thing goes for vampire stories. Sometimes they're "undead" and sometimes the are "infected". But the point with vampires is that they drink blood and are (usually) immortal. There all vampires whether they are "undead" or not.

So, even though I can understand the hesitation to call the antagonists in Quarantine "zombies," it still belongs in the zombie genre. Who care if the antagonists have a different origin story? Point is, they eat flesh, and they are mindless... to me that's a zombie. Interestingly, if you go back to the beginnings of the zombie genre, they were not undead. They were under the spell of an evil voodoo master. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Zombie_(film)

To me, a much bigger issue than origin is speed. I think zombies work better when slow moving. It worked well in 28 Days Later because, as we have said, they were infected, but in the Dawn remake they were indeed undead. How would a dead person move that fast? :cuckoo:

We'll agree to disagree. I'm a zombie nut and frankly lumping "sickness" movies in with the zombie genre to milk more viewers is annoying and underhanded. As for the running zombies, it kinda makes sense so long as they're freshly dead. The body doesn't go into rigor immediately. It takes some time. There's also a point where after being in rigor, the body becomes lax again. So if done right, the running zombies never bothered me.

We'll agree to disagree. I'm a zombie nut and frankly lumping "sickness" movies in with the zombie genre to milk more viewers is annoying and underhanded. As for the running zombies, it kinda makes sense so long as they're freshly dead. The body doesn't go into rigor immediately. It takes some time. There's also a point where after being in rigor, the body becomes lax again. So if done right, the running zombies never bothered me.

I had this same discussion last night and I agree with you. I was always a bigger fan of slow zombies. I don't mind the fast zombies because for certain movies or video games it keeps the pace up and can cover up a ____ty storyline. But I only like the thought of fast movie zombies like you said, they are fast in the beginning but once they start to break down then they should really be slow moving zombies.

They both have great aspects. Slow zombies always lull you into that false sense of security, and most films that incorporate them have more time to deal with the human survivors and life after the outbreak, which is my favorite aspect of the zombie genre.

But give credit: Fast zombies revived the genre, and for the first time, made them truly f#$%ing scary.

They both have great aspects. Slow zombies always lull you into that false sense of security, and most films that incorporate them have more time to deal with the human survivors and life after the outbreak, which is my favorite aspect of the zombie genre.

But give credit: Fast zombies revived the genre, and for the first time, made them truly f#$%ing scary.

I don't think I was taking credit away. A movie like the Dawn remake was great because that involved "fresh" zombies. But a movie like House of the dead with ancient running and kung fu zombies blows chunks.

The Morning Star Strain books actually had a great definition of this. Sprinters and Shamblers. Sprinters were those who got infected and were killed by the infection. Since the brain was still relatively in tact, they maintained all motor functions. Once the sprinter was killed and the virus reanimated the corpse, it became a shambler because since the brain was dead, motor functions were retarded. I enjoyed that definition.

I never cared for the fast zombies, simply because they never frightened me on some subconscious level. Slow zombies do somehow. They are decayed, rotten corpses that come back somehow to kill. Being slow and sloppy makes sense in that regard. Ultimately, the overwhelming numbers and difficulty stopping them, along with their being dead, is what makes them frightening. The idea of zombies running around like they are on PCP runs counter to that. They just become crazy fast guys. There are plenty of monsters out there that are fast, or that can be fast--werewolves and vampires, for instance. I say keep the running out of the zombie movies. It should be a defining characteristic, IMO.

Was just kidding around. I love the walking dead (or running dead, whatever). And as far as my original post last night concerning Day of the Dead, I did indeed mean the original. I don't like the new one, but am continually drawn back to the original for repeated viewings.

And when I finished my post, I flipped the tv to AMC and Magic was on. It was so creepy that I had just posted about how creepy that damn film is.

The suggestions in this thread have been great. Keep it up! :D

Hell yea! The original Day of the Dead rocks!

:exactly:
the original FTW.

the remake was wacked...the new spiderman agility and moves for a zombie was too hard to swallow.:gah:

Last edited:
i love the idea of a slow paced dead walk zombie...it gives me the assurance of survivability.

those adrenaline junkie zombies make life expectancy drop to zero, flat out in seconds. i can fathom the fast paced idea if they're not rotting with post mortem reflexes.:yess:

Flight of the Living Dead was fun.

I don't mind fast zombies but yeah there is just somthing more sinister and creepy about slow zombies. I like how in Resident Evil remake they at least explain the reasoning and how certain zombies in the game can run even after being dead for awhile.

Day of the Dead original is my favorite Zombie movie. Just for Rhodes.

"CHOOOOOOKE ON 'EM....aughh...CHoooKKkKEeee OoOOOnnn Eeeeammmmm....."

We'll agree to disagree. I'm a zombie nut and frankly lumping "sickness" movies in with the zombie genre to milk more viewers is annoying and underhanded.

You are a very cynical person aren't you? Always looking for the "underhanded" in everyone. :ohbfrank:

If the makers of 28 Days Later or Quarantine were only interested in ridding the coattails of what you bless with the label "zombie movie" they could have chosen to write them as undead, but that would have made for a less interesting story. The illness part of the story is part of what drives the plot, but the antagonists are still essentially zombies for the reasons I have already stated.

Your saying "agree to disagree" does nothing to address my points about the various origin stories for vampires, or the fact that originally zombies in movies WERE NOT UNDEAD!!!

That said, you points about the fast moving dead make a lot of sense. I was not aware that any of the fast moving zombies movies had been thought out to that extent.
As for the running zombies, it kinda makes sense so long as they're freshly dead. The body doesn't go into rigor immediately. It takes some time. There's also a point where after being in rigor, the body becomes lax again. So if done right, the running zombies never bothered me.

:goodpost:

I do like the fear aspect of the fast moving zombies, but they just become generic scary monsters (admittedly, very scary, if done right). But the reason the Romero movies (with slow zombies) are so great is that in the end the real monsters are the living and it becomes more of a social commentary.

Last edited:
Day of the Dead original is my favorite Zombie movie. Just for Rhodes.

"CHOOOOOOKE ON 'EM....aughh...CHoooKKkKEeee OoOOOnnn Eeeeammmmm....."

LOL Rhodes is one off cinemas all time biggest a-holes. Doesn't surprise me that you would love him.
[J/P] ;)

The only reason that Day of the Dead comes in after Dawn for me is that their really aren't any likable characters... well except Bub! :rock

Oh, and the scene where Rhodes says "CHoooKKkKEeee OoOOOnnn Eeeeammmmm" is one of the greatest gut scenes of all time! Why don't movies use real pig guts anymore?:(

And I thought of another for the underrated list:

HIGH TENSION :rock

I've seen this movie both "R" and "Unrated" and I have to say: This is a movie that must be watched unrated. The practical special effects are great in this movie and they are all cut short for the R rating.

Last edited:
Regarding Videodrome, I'm obviously partial to Cronenberg's pictures, but I don't feel that that one is under-rated. I think it gets the appropriate amount of credit. One of his that might be under-rated as a horror film, however, would be Naked Lunch. Not a traditional horror film by any means (not that any of Cronenberg's films are), but I think that it has the spirit of a horror film at various points. Same could go for Dead Ringers, which is one of the most disturbing movies I've seen.

Well in the uk anything that is not mainstream is closetted off and becomes a cult classic.
I've seen naked lunch a long time ago and liked it but did'nt understand it at all,liked the dirtyness of it but way too abstract for me at the time.
Hav'nt seen dead ringers will have to give that a go.

Crash by cronenberg was also underated here but not sure what catogory that comes under but I like it.

Back