Underrated Horror Films?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C.H.U.D.D. :lol

on a more serious note: The original 'Island of Dr. Moreau' I watched this as an 8 year old, my parents' had sprayed the house with Raid the night before to kill I dunno' what.

every time I smell Raid... I shiver.:(

on a more serious note: The original 'Island of Dr. Moreau' I watched this as an 8 year old, my parents' had sprayed the house with Raid the night before to kill I dunno' what.

:lol:rotfl:lol So you watched it stoned on fumes? :lol

The sense of smell is very powerful for bringing back memories.

Great thread!

Underrated:
Day of the Dead (is it?)
Cannibal Holocaust ('cause I'm sick)
Fulchi's Zombi
Trick 'r Treat (a new favorite of mine)
Magic (totally creeped me out, damn ventriloquist's dummies!)

and more I can't think of right now.

I know exacly what you mean! I hate when my parents ruin a good movie with wierd smelling crap. :lol

I watched The Mangler once, and the house smelled like toxic oranges, so when ever I smell that crappy smell, I think of Robert Englund getting folded in half. :lol

Great thread!

Underrated:
Day of the Dead (is it?)
Fulchi's Zombi

day of the dead(2009) was :gah::gah:

it was disappointing, IMO.:pray:

SLiTHER
and to a very small degree- Drag Me To Hell. I know the critics loved it, but most people hate it. I guess they pefer their PG-13 horror to have pretty CW cast members and retarded japanese girls with black hair. :dunno

Also The Hitcher Remake is on the worst movies ever made by a human being. Just saying. The original is great though.

Boo :pfft: j/k. I rather enjoyed it. I thought Sean Bean was a more menacing John Ryder though Rutger Hauer was definately more creepy. Plus the chick from One Tree Hill is smoking hot.

I can't belive I forgot Trick R' Treat. Definately one of my favorite horror movies to come out in the last 10 years. I'll also add Puppet Master 1,2 and 3 and Demonic Toys. I must confess I actually enjoy some of the earlier Full Moon movies.

Great thread!

Underrated:
Day of the Dead (is it?)
Fulchi's Zombi

:goodpost:

I hope you mean the original Day of the Dead...

If you like sick horror, check out Flower of Flesh and Blood... oh yeah, and check out: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7

I'd say

"They Live" horror comedy but definately underatted and cult classic

"Assault on precinct 13" original and best theme tune

"Videodrome" long live the new flesh:)

Regarding the Romero films, I agree that Day of the Dead is pretty under-appreciated, but I feel that Diary deserved the vitriol aimed at it. I couldn't believe how bad it was when I watched it. Maybe I can't give it a fair analysis, though, seeing as how you have to compare it to the other films Romero made. But I just can't treat it as a Brett Ratner movie when it isn't. I'm not even sure if I want to see his newest one.

Regarding Videodrome, I'm obviously partial to Cronenberg's pictures, but I don't feel that that one is under-rated. I think it gets the appropriate amount of credit. One of his that might be under-rated as a horror film, however, would be Naked Lunch. Not a traditional horror film by any means (not that any of Cronenberg's films are), but I think that it has the spirit of a horror film at various points. Same could go for Dead Ringers, which is one of the most disturbing movies I've seen.

Quarantine off the top of my head.

We are both probably gonna get blasted for this, but I agree. Quarantine was great.

Regarding the Romero films, I agree that Day of the Dead is pretty under-appreciated, but I feel that Diary deserved the vitriol aimed at it. I couldn't believe how bad it was when I watched it. Maybe I can't give it a fair analysis, though, seeing as how you have to compare it to the other films Romero made. But I just can't treat it as a Brett Ratner movie when it isn't. I'm not even sure if I want to see his newest one.

Both Diary of the Dead and Quarantine did the mocumentary/zombie thing and I actually think Quarantine did it better.

We are both probably gonna get blasted for this, but I agree. Quarantine was great.

Both Diary of the Dead and Quarantine did the mocumentary/zombie thing and I actually think Quarantine did it better.

:nono Quarantine's antagonists weren't zombies, they were infected live people.

A hybrid rabies if I remember right. Kind of made it a cool spin.

In 28 Days Later (another great movie) it's a "virus" called rage.

Technically neither of them are zombie movies, but thats only because of semsntics. They both function as zombie movies, and Quarantine more so, because the antagonists are slow moving like a zombie should be IMO.

A hybrid rabies if I remember right. Kind of made it a cool spin.

In 28 Days Later (another great movie) it's a "virus" called rage.

Technically neither of them are zombie movies, but thats only because of semsntics. They both function as zombie movies, and Quarantine more so, because the antagonists are slow moving like a zombie should be IMO.

Not really semantics at all. Both are missing that key aspect that they need to be zombies, dying and coming back to life as the undead. Zombie fanatics tend to take offense when films like the above are labeled as such because it's intentional, shameless, misleading hype to capitalize on the cult genre. Interesting tidbit, in the original Quarantine, .REC (Quarantine was the U.S. remake), the antagonists were demon possessed.

Last edited:
Not really semantics at all. Both are missing that key aspect that they need to be zombies, dying and coming back to life as the undead. Zombie fanatics tend to take offense when films like the above are labeled as such because it's intentional, shameless, misleading hype to capitalize on the cult genre. Interesting tidbit, in the original Quarantine, .REC (Quarantine was the U.S. remake), the antagonists were demon possessed.

I have always thought that was silly.

I consider myself to be a zombie fanatic, and to try to put say, the remake of Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later into 2 different categories is silly. They're both post-apocalyptic horror movies that have large groups of mindless flesh-eaters that look like humans chasing people around at high speeds. Same with Diary of the Dead and Quarantine. Both deal with an "outbreak" that causes (what looks like) humans who lumber around slowly to attack and eat human flesh.

The same thing goes for vampire stories. Sometimes they're "undead" and sometimes the are "infected". But the point with vampires is that they drink blood and are (usually) immortal. There all vampires whether they are "undead" or not.

So, even though I can understand the hesitation to call the antagonists in Quarantine "zombies," it still belongs in the zombie genre. Who care if the antagonists have a different origin story? Point is, they eat flesh, and they are mindless... to me that's a zombie. Interestingly, if you go back to the beginnings of the zombie genre, they were not undead. They were under the spell of an evil voodoo master. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Zombie_(film)

To me, a much bigger issue than origin is speed. I think zombies work better when slow moving. It worked well in 28 Days Later because, as we have said, they were infected, but in the Dawn remake they were indeed undead. How would a dead person move that fast? :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Back