RIP Roger Kastel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAWS

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Roger Kastel died today Nov 15th 2023

Creator of two of the most iconic film posters of all time. JAWS and The Empire Strikes Back. Definitely my two favs. Jaws was actually originally painted for the Peter Benchley paper back book and Empire is a spoof of sorts on Gone with the Wind

He did not do a lot of movie posters but with those two under your belt you don’t need any more.

IMG_1151.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a shame movie posters are rarely works of art now. Everything is so cut and paste photoshopped. Kastel’s work was iconic. How many parodies and homages of just those two posters have there been? Only time that’s done to a current Marvel poster is to make fun of how many characters are in it and how ridiculous that seems at times.

It’s a shame movie posters are rarely works of art now. Everything is so cut and paste photoshopped.

Yeah... it is also reflective of the "Producer era" we live in now rather than a "Creatives era" as it was more in the 70's and 80's. Production-line mentality is the way so many films are constructed. And its not just films.

As a fan of Poster art I love those classics. Both the Jaws and the Empire are favorites of mine. Really wish most of the posters created now weren't as disposable as the entertainment made now. Even cheesy or bad movies could have great posters back in the day. Kastel, Struzan and Richard Amsel have done some of my favorites for sure.

Reading his bio the guy wasn’t even really a movie poster artist. The only original movie poster he did was Empire. Jaws originated from the book cover he did and Universal purchased the rights to use it. Although I’m guessing he would have redone the art for the movie poster. His career was mostly book covers.

IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg

It’s a shame movie posters are rarely works of art now. Everything is so cut and paste photoshopped. Kastel’s work was iconic. How many parodies and homages of just those two posters have there been? Only time that’s done to a current Marvel poster is to make fun of how many characters are in it and how ridiculous that seems at times.
Don’t forget all the lens flares on all the posters.

Roger Kastel died today Nov 15th 2023

Creator of two of the most iconic film posters of all time. JAWS and The Empire Strikes Back. Definitely my two favs. Jaws was actually originally painted for the Peter Benchley paper back book and Empire is a spoof of sorts on Gone with the Wind

He did not do a lot of movie posters but with those two under your belt you don’t need any more.

View attachment 674161
View attachment 674162
That jaws poster kept me from taking a bath four months as a six or seven-year-old kid Lol. Oh, as did the movie. I always thought Jaws would come up through the drain.

Back