UFC, etc.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would of liked to see Couture at least stand alittle with Toney. Toney isn't no Tyson. I don't think he would of KO'd Couture with one punch.

Couture would've gotten KO'd. He's been wobbled in ALL of his most recent fights, an x-boxing champion would've easily put his lights out ...even with a glancing blow.

Couture would've gotten KO'd. He's been wobbled in ALL of his most recent fights, an x-boxing champion would've easily put his lights out ...even with a glancing blow.

Totally agree, that wouldnt have been smart on Randys part to think he could exchange with Tony. Randy did exactly what he needed to do.

The dude has all the talent in the world, and he comes up short EVERY TIME.

Dana White said it best:

https://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=2991
I mean I think Maynard's best shot was pretty much doing what he did to Florian, but I mean Florian's a pretty smart fighter. He should know from experience that's exactly what Maynard was going to do. Florian claimed he was training with GSP and Maynard's wrestling would be no problem.

But Dana White basically said exactly what I felt. Maynard was right in front of him and Florian did NOTHING. Florian had no sense of urgency in Rd3, in fact Florian worked his way back to his feet near the end and STILL did nothing. He just let the clock run out.

I think part of the problem is Florian's coaching. Nothing against his brother. I think Florian and his brother are OK dudes, but I mean maybe its time for Florian to train with a different camp that's not his family. Florian's an apparent BJJ blackbelt and I really couldn't tell that from this fight at all.

Just saying if you are a fighter and if you are fighting for a title opportunity in your hometown maybe I dunno do something. Kenny was so scared of Maynard's takedowns he didn't do anything probably in fear of getting taken down.

Florian's excuses after the fight sounded beyond hollow. I just can't take Florian seriously right now.

Florian from here on out is a perennial gatekeeper. He will NEVER be champion.

Totally agree, that wouldnt have been smart on Randys part to think he could exchange with Tony. Randy did exactly what he needed to do.
But this is what Toney wanted. And credit to Toney. Toney was a washed up and irrelevant old boxer. He trolled UFC for a job and it worked. Suddenly everyone was talking about him again and he probably got a big payday out of it. That's what he was really doing trolling UFC for a big payday. And UFC did it probably in effort to keep Strikeforce from doing it.

Think about it. Now that this has happened we are less likely to see Strikeforce try something similar.

UFC wanted to do a boxing/MMA fight for a long time and this was their chance and that's what they got out of it.

What people just aren't willing to admit is that MMA is the hardest combat sport there is. And this isn't an insult to boxing but its true. Boxing is ideally not a good base for MMA. The best base at the moment is really amateur wrestling. Boxers have no hips, no takedown defense, and no grappling ability. All their strength is in their upper body. That's all well and good but it won't save them when the fight goes to the ground.

Pride FC has also done boxing fights. They had Hidehiko Yoshida fight a pro-Japanese boxer named Nishijima. It was the EXACT same thing. Yoshida took him down sub and its over. Phil Baroni fought Nishijima in Pride, PHIL FREAKING BARONI was able to submit Nishijima.

Yeah I met Nishijima after Phil beat him and well...he wasnt the happiest guy around. Yeah I mean a boxer with no ground expierience has nothing to offer MMA. Even striker vs striker...the "strikers" in MMA would most likely go for a take down because they know better, a boxer doesnt know better. There sport is to stand in front of each other and trade...

Even in MMA right now, since MMA is still raw and developing there is sometimes a big gap between grapplers and wrestlers and the strikers.

Grapplers and wrestlers that have decent chins are good at taking the fights to the ground and keeping them there. Call it grinding or call it lay and pray like it or not the judges score more for the guy that gets the takedown and stays on top for most of the fight rather than for the guy working from his back.

The issue is that strikers and/or guys whose backgrounds are kickboxing have trouble blocking the shots and dealing with the grappling.

So now as MMA is developing we are going to see more base wrestlers getting into the sport but also some guys who are very multi-talented and good at everything that will hopefully be able to deal with the better wrestlers.

Take Anthony Pettis in his fight with Shane Roller. Roller is a top level NCAA wrestler and Pettis is a young guy and his base is more kickboxing, but Pettis was able to figure out a way to deal with Roller's wrestling. Pettis went for takedowns on Roller and he was extremely slipper and active on his back. I think Pettis showed a great way to neutralize and deal with top level wrestlers in an MMA fight.

:exactly: That's why he went for the takedown right away. He didn't even want to chance getting himself KO'd

Yeah I think there was to much riding on this fight for Randy to take any chances. He knew he was representing himself, UFC, MMA and all the trash talk James did, he had to make him eat his words by making James just totally look like he never had a fight in his life.

THE BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET, TAKE A LOOK!

508489_lgQDPnB3vM03cX0404g3_xl.JPG

Its time people got on their feet and give Joe Warren the respect he deserves. Look at what he's done and accomplished barely over a year into his MMA career. First fight he beats a former WEC champion. His second career MMA fight he fights and beats KID YAMAMOTO. He runs the Bellator featherweight tournament table, every guy he beats has 2 or 3 times as many fights or wins as him. Then he beats the undefeated Joe Soto and knocks him out.

That's what you get Joe Soto for trying to pretend you are like Nick Diaz. You get KTFO'ed.

Joe Warren gets overlooked because he's a run-of-the-mill LnP Wrestler in most fans eyes.

Joe Soto is actually the first opponent Warren has ever finished. The win over Beebe was a doctor stoppage due to a cut.

Here's the truth: That win over Kid Yamamoto was a split decision and he ended up losing in the final to Bibiano Fernandes by armbar submission.

Not to mention A LOT of people thought he lost the fight vs. Patricio Freire (Which was another Split-Decision Win). I saw quite a few people saying the fight should've been stopped in the first round because Warren was out from the RNR.

All his other opponents aren't worth mentioning. So in reality.. he has two Split-Decision Wins over Kid Yamamoto and Freire, a TKO (Doctor Stoppage) Win over Beebe and a KO Win over Joe Soto who himself is an up and coming prospect with no big name wins.

He's also unranked and holds 0 wins over Top 10 Featherweights. And the one ranked FW he actually fought he lost by submission (#5 FW Bibiano Fernandes).

So that's why nobody gives him major props.

Last edited:
Joe Warren gets overlooked because he's a run-of-the-mill LnP Wrestler in most fans eyes.

He's a wrestler but he's a tough and active one. Karakhanyan whenever tried to get something going Warren would get his back and take him down and keep controlling him and getting out of the sub attempts.

Joe Soto is actually the first opponent Warren has ever finished. The win over Beebe was a doctor stoppage due to a cut.

Watch the fight again. Beebe got cut because Warren was spanking his ass standing. Warren was beating the hell out of him.

Here's the truth: That win over Kid Yamamoto was a split decision and he ended up losing in the final to Bibiano Fernandes by armbar submission.

You know what else were split decisions? When Diego Sanchez spanked Clay Guida. When Dominik Cruz beat Joseph Benavidez for the second time. And when Yushin Okami beat Mark Munoz.

Warren beat up Yamamoto and won that fight. He pushed the pace and walked forward through all of Yamamoto's strikes. He constantly put Yamamoto on his back and dominated the fight. That was Warren's fight.

The fight with Fernandes was actually the SEMI-FINALS not the finals.

Not to mention A LOT of people thought he lost the fight vs. Patricio Freire (Which was another Split-Decision Win). I saw quite a few people saying the fight should've been stopped in the first round because Warren was out from the RNR.

Absolutely ridiculous to score the fight for Pitbull when he got freaking spanked for two straight rounds. People also say the fight should've been stopped in Lesnar/Carwin when Carwin was pounding on Lesnar. And if Mazzagatti was the ref it might've happened. If Yves Lavigne was the ref he probably would've stopped it and then restarted it.

All his other opponents aren't worth mentioning. So in reality.. he has two Split-Decision Wins over Kid Yamamoto and Freire, a TKO (Doctor Stoppage) Win over Beebe and a KO Win over Joe Soto who himself is an up and coming prospect with no big name wins.

How can you degrade his win over Beebe like that when he basically dominated and beat up Beebe from start to finish? Is BJ Penn's win over Diego Sanchez irrelevant because that fight was stopped due to a cut?

He's also unranked and holds 0 wins over Top 10 Featherweights. And the one ranked FW he actually fought he lost by submission (#5 FW Bibiano Fernandes).

Joe Soto was undefeated featherweight champion of Bellator. I'd say that puts him in the rankings.

So that's why nobody gives him major props.

All stupid illogical, irrelevant, and illegitimate reasons.

Watch the fight again. Beebe got cut because Warren was spanking his ass standing. Warren was beating the hell out of him.

That may be the case.. but he did not finish him by KO or Sub. So the fact remains, Soto is the first fighter Warren has ever finished. All his other wins (besides the Beebe Doctor Stoppage) were by Decision/Split Decision.

You know what else were split decisions? When Diego Sanchez spanked Clay Guida. When Dominik Cruz beat Joseph Benavidez for the second time. And when Yushin Okami beat Mark Munoz.

And? Not sure how bringing up other fighters helps change the perception that Warren is not a finisher!? Again, he's only finished one fighter in his entire career. All his other fights he's won by control. Which is the major criticism leveled at him.

The fight with Fernandes was actually the SEMI-FINALS not the finals.

Doesn't matter if it was in the opening round, he lost. By Sub. And that's the ONLY ranked FW Joe Warren has ever fought.

Joe Soto was undefeated featherweight champion of Bellator. I'd say that puts him in the rankings.

And you'd be wrong. Dead wrong. He was unranked. And Warren is unranked as well.

Back