Twilight Zone: ROD SERLING custom fig

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good sculpt, but I don't think I would know right off that it was Serling. On the other hand, there's no doubt with Andy's.

And Phil's right- that looks more like Night Gallery era Serling.

That would be cool looking... although since I'll have him with the other TZ figures he will be in glorious color.

I'm guessing it's the Plastic Earth version: https://www.plastic-earth.com/Html/serling.html, but I think Andy's is the far superior portrait, just as his Daniel Craig beats theirs hands down.

Yes that's the one I was refering to. To say the AB sculpt is "far superior" is quite a stretch in my opinion. If you google some images of Rod Serling you can plainly see that neither is dead on. The AB sculpt has exaggerated features that look more like a portrait you would see on a bobble head. The color pictures on the ebay auction for this figure throw the likeness way off as well. The expression bothers me, because Serling's demeaner on the show was usually serious and straight faced. His head seems way to pointy at the top, and his eyes are to big in proportion to the rest of his face. A very tight and professional sculpt of a head, but not an exceptional portrait, in my opinion. The PE head looks like a vanity sculpt where the actual person or their handler/estate ask for the head to be prettied up. It seems a little narrow from ear to ear and the hair style does lean toward the last season's of TZ and Night Gallery. I have way to many other lines I am working on to invest in either one. If I decided to get one I would go for the PE because I prefer the expression, and it wouldn't stick out as a different style among my other figures. I finally broke down and bought the PE Daniel Craig, and I am happy with that figure. The bottom line is that the person who commissioned the Serling is happy, and that's all that really matters.

I am more than happy with the sculpt. Andy nailed it. The "PE" one has weird Night Gallery hair and looks nothing like Serling from any episode of the Twilight Zone I have ever seen. Andy and I worked very hard to get it right. Going over hundreds of photos, since he never looks the same in any photo or any episode, I think Andy did a far superior job. When I saw the "PE" one I was excited until I saw what it look like. I'll put it this way, if this to be "submitted for approval" by his wife, I don't think she'd pick the "PE" one at all. But as I said, anyome can pick apart these heads, but I think Andy did a unbelievable job with it, and I am very ecstatic with his final job... and so are a lot of fellow members on this site who know craftmanship when they see it.

The color pictures on the ebay auction for this figure throw the likeness way off as well. The expression bothers me, because Serling's demeaner on the show was usually serious and straight faced.

We're remembering different episodes. When I think of Serling's intros, I always think of him as slightly bemused by the tale we're about to see.

rodserling.jpg

rod%20serling%20twilight%20zone.jpg

serling184.jpg

I agree that the color version looks slightly off, only because in color, Serling had a DEEP tan (you can tell in some of the b&w shots above).

It's odd - I've noticed the same thing with the various Craig sculpts - some people prefer one sculpt over another and to my eyes they couldn't be more wrong. People see what they want to see in sculpts. To my subjective eyes, Andy's sculpt is wonderful and I can't wait to paint it.

Last edited:
Obviously this is one of those "eye of the beholder" situations. :lol

But, I'm definitely all about the new sculpt and can't wait to have a figure completed :rock

1/6 collectors can only dream of these sort of figures to be released: completely original and professionally made.

Buying one of these Serlings is a must, you will only regret later when you didn't.
Very happy they made it public.

Two thumbs up!

After rereading my post in this thread I apologize for any drama I may have created by trying to open a dialog on what makes a good likeness. Good luck with the project.

Why? You weren't rude or anything, and folks who DO like the sculpt are going to snap up every last one available no matter what, so it's not as if you're hurting sales. Debates are good, and what I was getting at with the Craig thing, is there are three or four custom sculpts floating around that are without question well-made sculpts, but all look wildly different from each other, and each with its fans. "Eye of the beholder" as the gentleman on the last page said. I guess I'd like to hear more about what fans and detractors do or don't see in a sculpt, why one works for them over another...

Its really just a feel, the new sculpt looks like Serling to me, where the other one really doesn't.

And really no apologies are necessary, dialog is always good. Just sometimes we might not agree with you :lol

Watching the TZ marathon on Sci Fi, I will say that one of the things that might make the sculpt look off is that Serling RARELY closes his mouth during the intros. You don't often see hsi lips in the position Andy's sculpted them in. That said, I don't think I'd have wanted an open-mouthed sculpt, so I'm good with this one...

Closed mouth is less iconic, but really does make the most sense since his mouth never really opened that much and would probably look akward in the sculpt.

So is it January yet?

And really no apologies are necessary, dialog is always good. Just sometimes we might not agree with you :lol

Actually the sculptor who did the Plastic Earth Serling ask me to drop any debate. Word is that all who have purchased that version of the figure were extemely satisfied, so it's all a matter of taste.

Back