Triad Toy's Dexter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think for Dexter in the kill gear, the perfect expression is an intense glare
dexter_l.jpg

arts_dexter_584.jpg

and for the Daytime Dexter, the perfect expression would be that fake smirky kinda smile thing he does.
dexter-morgan-profile.jpg

dexter_morgan.jpg

dexter_l.jpg

arts_dexter_584.jpg

and for the Daytime Dexter, the perfect expression would be that fake smirky kinda smile thing he does.
dexter-morgan-profile.jpg

dexter_morgan.jpg

:exactly:

Even though Dexter has a range of subtle variations in his looks, essentially he only has two or three expressions. Some buyers may want an expressive Dexter based on a look that gets a fraction of screen time if at all, but I want something like one of or both of the above or I couldn't be bothered. None of the sculpts I've seen to date capture what I consider to be the essence of the character.

Yeh, your pic shows it off much better!

Another stellar pose too bud. :rock

Thanks bud :hi5:

Absolutely.

:exactly:

Even though Dexter has a range of subtle variations in his looks, essentially he only has two or three expressions. Some buyers may want an expressive Dexter based on a look that gets a fraction of screen time if at all, but I want something like one of or both of the above or I couldn't be bothered. None of the sculpts I've seen to date capture what I consider to be the essence of the character.

Really? What part of the expression do you feel is off, genuinely interested.

dexter_l-1.jpg

IMG_3834-1.jpg

Really? What part of the expression do you feel is off, genuinely interested.

I don't know if my eye is good enough to offer any constructive feedback. I look at the sculpt and at the pic, and in comparing the two I'm thinking, "That's pretty darn close" - but still I come away feeling that the sculpt is lacking those highly subtle cues that Michael C Hall brings to the character.

I'd say in this sculpt that the corners of the mouth and the centre of the eyebrows combine to give an expression that is slightly too stern. Slightly more upturned curl at the corners of the mouth and perhaps removal of the stress creases at the centre of the brow may lend to the sculpt more of the playful/mischievous personality that I expect to see in Dexter.

But hey, everyone's a critic.

Really? What part of the expression do you feel is off, genuinely interested.[/IMG]

I can see why people think this about the sculpts, as there are some very unique features of Hall that seem to be tough to get right. I LOVE Xeno's sculpt (hence why I bought it). One thing Xeno's sculpt doesn't nail is that Hall's face seems a little bottom-heavy. His upper lip looks like he's got a little bit of cotton stuffed in it, and overall his "muzzle" (I don't know what it's considered on a human) is a little puffier than on the sculpt. I also think his eyes are sculpted slightly too small / almond-y.

Like I said earlier, Hall has some features that it just seems it's very tough to get the balance right. I thought Xeno's erred slightly on the "handsome action hero" side of Hall's looks, whereas Rainman erred a bit on the "simian" side of Hall.

All the painting I've seen also moved the appearance off slightly. Both Xeno's and Rainman's sculpts looked closer as just sculpts, and every paint application so far seems to shift the sculpt's likeness. But this is something I've noticed with almost every custom 1/6 I've ever seen.

Like I also said, I think Xeno's is the best Dexter out there (I like Rainman's but don't love). Coming from someone with no sculpting or painting talent at ALL, the only thing I can offer is opinion. But unless someone laser scans Hall's face and shrinks it down, I don't know how much closer we'll get to a mini-Hall than Xeno's or Rainman's.

Of all the pic's of Xeno's sculpt, that's not the best picture to use to defend it,(No offence to whoever took it:peace).

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1zmTdAFgC3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can really see how great it is in Greyskull's video^^^
..but like he said i think this sculpt does need to be seen in person.

Thanks for posting this review, it really does showcase the figure in a whole new light. I've gone from 'meh' to 'dang' over this take on Dexter - and that tailoring is out of sight.

Nobody can match Kato's tailoring, Rainman's comes close but not close enough imo..and even a mass made dexter by say hot toys or enterbay will never be able to do tailoring at this level.

Yeah for most figures, even customs, Kato's price is a little more than I'd like to spend.

But I figured I'd go all out for one figure, and Dexter was it. The quality of Kato's clothing is unreal.

It's kinda funny how so many "official" threads lately are turning into Custom threads.

It's kinda funny how so many "official" threads lately are turning into Custom threads.

I revisited the Toy Fair pics and it ain't pretty. No wonder folks want to talk about customs :)

..plus, Q1 was the slated release date wasn't it? And still we won't be thrown a bone. The fans are getting antsy.

Well, horrible though the Triad Dex prototype may be, let's keep the discussion here to that figure. If you want to discuss the awesome Xenoviper, Kato, and/or Rainman customs, please keep those discussions to threads where they belong. Thanks.

Stumbled upon this thread and thought for a second I might get a good Dexter without spending $300+ but I was so wrong. The Triad Dexter looks soooo horrible. How are they even still a company with sculpts like that and the House one? :(

Stumbled upon this thread and thought for a second I might get a good Dexter without spending $300+ but I was so wrong. The Triad Dexter looks soooo horrible. How are they even still a company with sculpts like that and the House one? :(

Luckily for Triad these licenses are not their bread and butter. I do wish though that in venturing into the character likeness side of things they'd hire a decent artist - it looks like they handed this project to the work experience kid.

I think it has alot to do with the lack of pics or any solid info on Triad's Dexter, it makes it kinda hard to discuss it specifically. Most of the custom talk is just for a basis of comparison. There are at least 6 different custom Dexter sculpts available out there. This Triad Dexter figure is such old news now, it's kinda hard not to compare it to the new stuff that's out there. For instance, when I first saw the Triad pics, i thought the body looked good but now after seeing custom Dexters with the Royce body, I think the Triad body looks wrong for Dexter.

Even though I've got 2 different custom Dexters on my shelf, I'm still very interested in info on Triad's Dexter....there's just not any new info.

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any new info on this? Any news?

Back