Tolkien Estate suing New Line Cinema

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the books several times before the movies ever even went into pre-production. After watching the movies, I got excited to read them again...and again. I do feel that New Line is a shady bunch of greedy s.o.b.s and if there is a contract to pay the Tolkien Estate then they should stand up to that agreement. That said, I do feel that the movies, like others have mentioned, did open up the world of Middle Earth to a new generation and helped create and even larger fan base of Tokien's work...and that I think, would be a good thing.

I read the books several times before the movies ever even went into pre-production. After watching the movies, I got excited to read them again...and again. I do feel that New Line is a shady bunch of greedy s.o.b.s and if there is a contract to pay the Tolkien Estate then they should stand up to that agreement. That said, I do feel that the movies, like others have mentioned, did open up the world of Middle Earth to a new generation and helped create and even larger fan base of Tokien's work...and that I think, would be a good thing.

All true! Preach it!:chew

New Line should go to the Tolkien Estate's and kiss the ass of the person in charge of it. THAT person allowed the movies to get made, THAT person let new line use the world of middle earth in the film, and THAT person allowed new line to make all that money. That a bunch of mother :censored who try to cut the tolkien estate out of all that money.

I've studied these kinds of deals and I know for a fact that those production studios try to do creative accounting to show that they didn't make any money with the movies so they don't have to pay out royalties. That's probably what New Line did and they should rot in hell for it.

New Line should go to the Tolkien Estate's and kiss the ass of the person in charge of it. THAT person allowed the movies to get made, THAT person let new line use the world of middle earth in the film, and THAT person allowed new line to make all that money. That a bunch of mother :censored who try to cut the tolkien estate out of all that money.

I've studied these kinds of deals and I know for a fact that those production studios try to do creative accounting to show that they didn't make any money with the movies so they don't have to pay out royalties. That's probably what New Line did and they should rot in hell for it.

The Tolkien Estate had nothing to do with the rights to LOTR. Those right's were sold a long time ago. Be thankful the Tolkien Estate didn't have the rights, because we never would have seen the movies and we certainly wouldn't be talking about anything LOTR related on the FreaksBoard.

Last edited:
JRR himself sold the rights to United Artists. The Estate was created AFTER the damage was done I believe.

As I understand it Tolkien licensed the rights to Saul Zaentz. He sold the rights to New Line.

If the Tolkien estate had any say in it, the movies would never have been made. But that doesn't change the fact that they're owed money.

The only reason we don't hear about these kind of cases every day is that the actors and directors get their money up front now instead of taking points. Since all the studios do their accounting to stop any money from trickling out no matter how successful a film is, anyone with back end points would have to sue to see any money.

Back