To all Brits. Is the weak pound stopping you from buy from Sideshow direct ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinoLast

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yes I know, I should have put buying.

Not just Sideshow but also other American Dealers
I just had to cancel my Iron Man Hot Toys from Sideshow because the weak pound has made the price sky rocket.
Is America too expensive to buy from at the moment?
Remember if you buy from America direct and not the EU, you also have to pay VAT and the wonderful Royal mail £8 holding fee too.

US dealers are a bigger rip off than the asian dealers. I rarely buy from the states anyways.

i think the exclusives are worth buying from sideshow, but the rest i always check with forbidden planet, play.com etc...

i've got things arriving that i bought when the pound was basically worth two dollars, but now i gotta pay a lot more... i just wish the currency rate could have been locked somehow at the point of purchase...

The upside is now we can buy from UK without doubling the price. Time to place an order with ForPlnt . . .

1 British pound = 1.5033 U.S. dollars

1 Canadian dollar = 0.830358 U.S. dollars

1 Australian dollar = 0.6423 U.S. dollars

Hmm... I think there's something wrong with your definition of weak.
Even with shipping, your standard of living is so high that it is relatively cheaper for you to buy an SSC "doll" than it is for an American (or Australians or me for that matter)

im actually considering cancelling my bezerker exc :horror but i dont think i have the power.....it is...precious to me. hopefully this is just a short term thing and the markets will sort them selves out.. hopefully :D

Iv'e never bought from the states apart from a few exceptions on this very board where I got some great deals. I always buy from Japan or wait for UK retail sites to get in the sideshow stuff. My card actually wont pay sideshow but maybe thats a good thing in one way since I would be very tempted to order everything on flexpay.

I can cope with the weak pound, its the shipping rates import tax and handling fee's that put me off buying from outside the EU in general. I'll only get something direct if It's the only way to get it, other than that I check ebay, play.com fobidden planet etc. This goes not only for sideshow but GG and others too including private sellers. GG shipping rates are nuts to the UK!!!!!

The only two things I ever bought direct were the exclusive Hellboy and exclusuive Faith and that was back when I had a friend who was commuting between London and Texas every few weeks so I wasn't paying int shipping. Since then I always order direct from the Far East, you save so much money this way.
That said I haven't bought any SS figs since Old Ben and Giles, all I've been interested in is HT, Enterbay and Medi, though I will probably pick up Indy, Vader and a Stormy, but I can easily wait for them to come throuh play.com and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pick Gandalf up cheap in a couple of months.
Sorry... what was the question?:rotfl

yep, slowed down quite drastically (any and all imports). i've spent money on customs and commisions but it's not like they'll always be available. but it hurt like crazy doing it, let me tell you. i really want to order hot toys scissorhands (as far as i know, no Uk retailer is selling them yet) so i have to let that go. i'm just like you guys - checking the exhange rate every day :lol

forbiddenplanet.com did send me a storewide credit crunch voucher the other day though. switched all my preorders to them and saved a wicked 20%. its not all bad news i guess.

Same.

Everyone at work was wondering why i was so bothered about the exhange rate, "cause it cost me more to get my dolls" LOL
That's got to be the reason why it's called a doll ar.
1 British pound = 1.5033 U.S. dollars

1 Canadian dollar = 0.830358 U.S. dollars

1 Australian dollar = 0.6423 U.S. dollars

Hmm... I think there's something wrong with your definition of weak.
Even with shipping, your standard of living is so high that it is relatively cheaper for you to buy an SSC "doll" than it is for an American (or Australians or me for that matter)
Now you're making me teary. :monkey2

When the pound was worth $2.00 we had a ball. Now it's worth less than $1.50 we aren't having it so good, but hey, if i want my dollies I buy 'em.

Some you win, some you lose!:rolleyes:

I'm euro being in Ireland. It seems to be going up and down - a little this way or a little that way every day. For a while there my preorders just seemed to be going up and up and up but since I really wanted them I asked toys2 to charge me for them immediately. Subsequently they went down again of course. I now see the advantage of paypal where you're charged straight away - no doubt about what the toys will end up costing.

I still haven't got my VISA bill though which is a bit worrying because I'll end up having to pay a late payment fee - I'm hoping thats not going to be proportional to what I owe or else it'll be a lot - I'm going to owe close to if not over 2000 for what I considered essential preorders - thats after cancelling the 2 Enterbay 24 figures.

yep been hit hard from buying from the states recently cost me a lot more than i was expecting,

WHAT REALY SUPRISES ME is that places like play.com have not increased there statue prices like the Predator Cinemaquette, its still at £999 they got to be loseing money on that now or makeing no profit what so ever.

yep been hit hard from buying from the states recently cost me a lot more than i was expecting,

WHAT REALY SUPRISES ME is that places like play.com have not increased there statue prices like the Predator Cinemaquette, its still at £999 they got to be loseing money on that now or makeing no profit what so ever.

The problem with play is that they will state that you can get something from them but they might never get the item in stock.

Back