ThreeZero CHAPPiE 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys.
I haven't read a lot of this thread yet, but I have already noticed there have been some problems with this figure. I have some with my unit too.

I got mine on eBay from a Japanese seller that listed it at a noticeably lower price compared to other sellers. After me buying it, they rised the price of their remaining units so that their prices were on par with other sellers. And there were at least 2 Japanese sellers with that strange behaviour. Does this ring any bell to anybody in here?

Anyway, I bought it fearing a fake, but the seller had good record and what I received seemed to be legit. I had a quick look at the piece itself (through the plastic trays, which I haven't yet opened) and didn't like what I saw. i tried to compare with pictures on the net, but all I got were prototype pics from pro reviews. Videos I have watched are not sharp enough to be sure, so I have to turn to the community here.

Below is a list of problems. I can take pictures if descriptions were not enough:

0) AKM machine gun included with the figure is an unusable piece of *****. Paintjob is flat to say the list. Everything is same unrealistic dark dray color with some strange glitter all over it.

1) Paint application on the figure is OK, but worlds behind the proto: this is business as usual, but particualrly intense and annoying in this particular figure. All those cool scratches are gone, "Reject" and "Crunch" and other stickers look real dull...

2) Chest plate with "Police" printed on it is split in 2 halves on my unit. It seems to be part of the sculpt and paintjob, but makes no sense to me and hi-res pics of the proto do not show such feature.

3) Chest damage is completely different from that on the proto: Instead of a hole on the chest due to piercing or burning from the outside, it looks as if something inside had exploded outwards. Metal is twisted outwards. Twisted metal looks quite dark and dull, too. Nothing to do with the bare, unpainted metal showing, like in the proto.

4) Below the chest area there are 2 gray boxes (one on each side) the front sides of which contain 1 fan each (absolutely ridiculous design flaw btw...). In my unit, the left box is glued correctly, the right one is not. It is not level, neither flush with the surface it hangs from or the surrounding structures.

5) Further south: the hips are 2 gray cubes, one on each side, one on top of each leg. The front of that cube has like some metallic pad glued on it. On my unit, they are not very well glued.

And all this is just cosmetic problems, without actually having tested the figure....... :-(((((((((

OK. Questions:

1) Has anyone experienced similar problems? If not, could any of you show pics of your units?

2) From what I can judge by seeing movie stills, the chest hole in my unit is not film-accurate. What do you guys think?

3) Is any of the incorrectly-glued problems fixable?

4) Could it be that I was given a defective unit?

People please chime in!
Thanks!
m.

Hi guys.
I haven't read a lot of this thread yet, but I have already noticed there have been some problems with this figure. I have some with my unit too.
Oh, so did I...

I got mine on eBay from a Japanese seller that listed it at a noticeably lower price compared to other sellers. After me buying it, they rised the price of their remaining units so that their prices were on par with other sellers. And there were at least 2 Japanese sellers with that strange behaviour. Does this ring any bell to anybody in here?
Not really...

Anyway, I bought it fearing a fake, but the seller had good record and what I received seemed to be legit. I had a quick look at the piece itself (through the plastic trays, which I haven't yet opened) and didn't like what I saw. i tried to compare with pictures on the net, but all I got were prototype pics from pro reviews. Videos I have watched are not sharp enough to be sure, so I have to turn to the community here.
Open it up.
And some pics would be useful.

0) AKM machine gun included with the figure is an unusable piece of *****. Paintjob is flat to say the list. Everything is same unrealistic dark dray color with some strange glitter all over.
Oh yes, that thing sucks.
And compared with those badly designed hands... #ragequit

1) Paint application on the figure is OK, but worlds behind the proto: this is business as usual, but particualrly intense and annoying in this particular figure. All those cool scratches are gone, "Reject" and "Crunch" and other stickers look real dull...
Yes, the paint app could be way better.
But after all the figure looks used.

2) Chest plate with "Police" printed on it is split in 2 halves on my unit. It seems to be part of the sculpt and paintjob, but makes no sense to me and hi-res pics of the proto do not show such feature.
Picture!

3) Chest damage is completely different from that on the proto: Instead of a hole on the chest due to piercing or burning from the outside, it looks as if something inside had exploded outwards. Metal is twisted outwards. Twisted metal looks quite dark and dull, too. Nothing to do with the bare, unpainted metal showing, like in the proto.
Yup, same here.

4) Below the chest area there are 2 gray boxes (one on each side) the front sides of which contain 1 fan each (absolutely ridiculous design flaw btw...). In my unit, the left box is glued correctly, the right one is not. It is not level, neither flush with the surface it hangs from or the surrounding structures.
They used tons of glue on that figure. :/

5) Further south: the hips are 2 gray cubes, one on each side, one on top of each leg. The front of that cube has like some metallic pad glued on it. On my unit, they are not very well glued.
See above.

OK. Questions:
1bfb853469178ce155ac08cc7e0a8159.jpg

1) Has anyone experienced similar problems? If not, could any of you show pics of your units?
With badly glued parts, yes.

2) From what I can judge by seeing movie stills, the chest hole in my unit is not film-accurate. What do you guys think?
Never checked it.

3) Is any of the incorrectly-glued problems fixable?
Yup. Just wait for those parts to fall off (no joke, happened to a lot of parts on mine) and use some good superglue to attach them properly the right way.

4) Could it be that I was given a defective unit?
Mmmmh... hopefully not a knock off.
Defective depends on how you look on it. ;)

No one would make a knock off of a not very popular and extremely complicated figure like this - so don't worry, it's genuine.

Hi everybody.
Sorry for taking ages to take pics of my Chappie.
I won't be opening the plastic trays, just in case I decided to sell it. Thus, following pictures were all taken through the plastic clamshells. Anyway, they get the point across:

1) Chest: you can see the splitted chest (why???) and the wrong, twisted-outwards metal. Also, you can see the blue paint job even inside the exploded area (it should be completely different, scarred, melt, burnt, etc).

CAM01058.jpg

CAM01059.jpg

2) Under the chest: one of the 2 fans (the one on the right side of the picture) is semi-detached, not fully glued to the upper surface it hangs from, not level.

CAM01062.jpg

3) Hips: rectangular frontal plates are not glued straight, fully aligned with the structure they are attached to.

CAM01063.jpg

So:

1) Are these flaws? are they common? have you also found them in your units? Any known fix?

2) What else must I expect once I open the plastic tray...? Can any of you give me a "summary of offences"?

Thanks to you all contributors.

Regards,
m.

It looks legit, you just didn't get a perfect figure. It's not a fake.

But for something with so many intricate parts that's to be expected. You got it at a lower price, so if you think give and take its still a good deal just enjoy it.

If you're gonna obsessively look at all the flaws even out of the box, then I guess it's time to sell it off. My Chappie is the Gangsta version, so the flashiness of the paint and graffiti distracted me from examining every imperfection in detail. It just looks cool, loved the movie, happy to have him.

Yeah, the aesthetic of the gangsta version helps hide a lot of imperfections. I'm sad I never got to display mine properly, but the right trade opportunity came at the right time

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm late in the game ... I skipped this figure when the time to pre-order arrived. I like the movie a lot ... but at the time couldn't justify the price for a simple package. I finally got the regular version. And it's pretty cool. I hope to thoroughly look over it this week.

chappie_.jpg

chappie__.jpg

It IS a cool figure.
Tha paint job isn‘t as crisp as I wished it was.
Some jounts are stuck and the hands/fingers are VERY loose.
Besides that really cool.

Hi everybody.
Sorry for taking ages to take pics of my Chappie.
I won't be opening the plastic trays, just in case I decided to sell it. Thus, following pictures were all taken through the plastic clamshells. Anyway, they get the point across:

1) Chest: you can see the splitted chest (why???) and the wrong, twisted-outwards metal. Also, you can see the blue paint job even inside the exploded area (it should be completely different, scarred, melt, burnt, etc).

View attachment 323486

View attachment 323487

2) Under the chest: one of the 2 fans (the one on the right side of the picture) is semi-detached, not fully glued to the upper surface it hangs from, not level.

View attachment 323488

3) Hips: rectangular frontal plates are not glued straight, fully aligned with the structure they are attached to.

View attachment 323489

So:

1) Are these flaws? are they common? have you also found them in your units? Any known fix?

2) What else must I expect once I open the plastic tray...? Can any of you give me a "summary of offences"?

Thanks to you all contributors.

Regards,
m.

Last edited:
I'm late in the game ... I skipped this figure when the time to pre-order arrived. I like the movie a lot ... but at the time couldn't justify the price for a simple package. I finally got the regular version. And it's pretty cool. I hope to thoroughly look over it this week.

View attachment 449820

View attachment 449821

By the looks of it, it is a very nice unit. Parts look perfectly glued.
Congrats, and keep'em coming.
m.

Man this fig is commanding a high price. Never thought that would happen; I almost bought him back when he came out but prioritized him out of my queue. There was a time where he was just sitting at retailers.

Back