The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The show has timeline issues.

Ep 4 has a story before ciri is born with Geralt, dealing with her mother, then we cut to scenes with Ciri. If I had not read the books, I'd be lost

And who the **** cares about casting white versus non white. Good actors are good actors

True but you wouldn't have Leonardo Di Caprio as a Maasai warrior now, would you? It would be silly and incongruous, as it is with the Witcher. And they've done redhead replacement yet again which really gets on my pip.

True but you wouldn't have Leonardo Di Caprio as a Maasai warrior now, would you? It would be silly and incongruous, as it is with the Witcher. And they've done redhead replacement yet again which really gets on my pip.

I understand and appreciate the issue to a degree. I guess it bothers me less given this is pure fantasy. Excellent fantasy. But, I think all the actors are doing a good job. Triss is not how I would have had Triss, but i can't fault the actor.

The timeline really bugs me. People are gonna be seriously lost. Ep4 boggles my mind with scenes before ciri is born, then cutting to scenes with ciri! Weirdly done for a show.

I guess it's done by choice, it's not like the viewer would know what year is what. At best they could state if it's past or present. I had no idea the time lines were all over the place but knowing the books helpt figure that out once I connected the scenes together.

With all things, it has to follow rules even for fantasy though. That's why I can barely watch horror movies because they're all over the place.

I bing watched the entire series and thought it was great. I never played the game or read the books so I had no info going into the series. I didn’t even realize there were 3 timelines going on until the third episode. I should have prolonged the series for myself. Now it will be a long wait until it returns in 2021.

Whatever the case Henry Nailed Geralt. Sounds just like the video game.

Wow i didn?t know the show was going back and forth with flashbacks. Just caught it by episode 5

Yeah, since I've read the books I know that some of the events are happening years apart, I was wondering how well people who don't know anything about it would be able to pick up on that. By the time that Yennefer meets Geralt she's like 90 years old.

I'm fine with most of the casting, except for Triss, she's supposed to have red hair as her defining physical trait, and if it's red there then it's coming off as dark brown.

Just watched episode 1. Damn ending fight scene was incredible. Props to cavill he nailed it. Excited to see more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, since I've read the books I know that some of the events are happening years apart, I was wondering how well people who don't know anything about it would be able to pick up on that. By the time that Yennefer meets Geralt she's like 90 years old.

I'm fine with most of the casting, except for Triss, she's supposed to have red hair as her defining physical trait, and if it's red there then it's coming off as dark brown.

Yea I was confused who the baby he was tied to was. Then by episode 5 it hit me like a truck. I felt stupid lol

Was going to watch an episode per day to properly savor it, but I plowed through everything in two days. Damn it.

I really enjoyed this. I have a few friends who said it's impossible to understand if you don't read the books, but I don't know what they were smoking. I haven't read them yet, and I didn't have any issues.

Wish we were getting S2 in 2020. Think Hot Toys will make a Geralt?

Last edited:
The show is boring when Geralt isn’t on screen. The casting is off on all the female leads and yeah the time jumping is confusing.
The show runner originally wanted the series to focus on Ciri which is easily the most uninteresting.
Not optimistic about the shows future.

I'm fine with it, but the time jumping is off the chains otherwise they fix that we got something.

Wow i didn?t know the show was going back and forth with flashbacks. Just caught it by episode 5

Yeah, the show does not make that clear. Scenes with Ciri = show's present. Scenes with Geralt and Yen = shows past. Until ep 8 then it catches up to each other.

I personally thought the origin of Yen was pretty amazing. The actress is killing it, IMO.

Awesome show, but it had its quirks. I need to read book 8.

Things I'd have improved:

less cgi looking creatures.
clear timeline.

I've already rewatched Ep 1. And Henry Cavill did an amazing job. I had my doubts about him at first, but he ended up being an amazing Geralt.

Yea I was confused who the baby he was tied to was. Then by episode 5 it hit me like a truck. I felt stupid lol

Yeah, don't. it was confusing as hell. I get that the showrunner wanted ciri in it from ep 1, but I'd have saved her for season 2. And we are getting a season 2. Hope it does well. Would love a full run

Last edited:
Yeah, the issue with Ciri is that the season is going off the first two books and she doesn't do much. So they tried to expand her escape to when she meets Geralt and it just really drags.
It probably would have worked better if they had done it more by the books, and then put in some text to indicate when things were happening. I did like seeing the origins of Yennefer, I don't know if it goes over it in the recent two books since I haven't gotten there yet, but it was something we only got a small part of but it was nice to see it expanded here. And the actress did really great on her origin.

6 episodes in and have no idea what the show is about. No idea it was flashbacks. I guess that helps because it hasn’t made sense yet.

E6814B56-9DE6-44B8-BDD0-FA289574009A.jpg

Cavill did a fine job for sure.

Anyone want to understand the show's universe a tad better, wiki 'The Conjunction of Spheres.' Its meantioned in the show, but in a nutshell: 1500 years prior to the show, the universe of the witcher crashed within the multiverse, causing all the monsters and ghosts that should not exist, exist. Creation of the Witchers was the response to the Conjunction of Spheres. This is an oversimplification, of course. Humans made their own kind of monster to stop actual monsters. Gearlt is a badass with his swords and the ladies. If the show was 100% accurate to the books, he'd have slept with about 12 additional women. lol

Halfway through my 2nd viewing, love the show overall.

Somewhat random: the five min CGI cutscene of Game 1 is the Striga ep of the show. That's how CD Prokect Red introduced us to Geralt in game 1.

What I would change in Season 2:

All scenes happening at the same time - which they should.
Ciri = cries a lot less. Actress killed it, but I do not see her turn into the eventual badass she becomes.
Triss = red hair. easy fix.
Cgi = a tad better for monsters. I'm guessing budget on this is far less than Game of Thrones.
Longer season, if needed. 8 Episodes felt too short for Season 1 to me. But as a fan, I want more of everything.

For those enjoying the show, I highly recommend the books. But, read them in order. Book 1 is The Last Wish

Last edited:
Just finished this a few days ago and I absolutely loved it! I can understand how the time jumps can be confusing. I did not read the books, not play the games, but I had a basic knowledge/understanding of the world of The Witcher. I knew how Witchers and Mages age much slower than normal humans so I was able to realize the time jumps and catch on early-on (the father of the Striga being shown as a child was the giveaway for me).

With all the flashbacks, I think this is a show that would definitely be fun to rewatch. I can't wait for season 2!

Back