The Walls of Helm’s Deep Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no intention of grabbing anything from this line but the battle at Helm's Deep is my favorite part of the entire trilogy. I only have the one sculpt environment and it's the Helm's Deep one. I bought a second regular 1/6 Aragorn/Strider so that using Dragon TIMELINE chainmail I could adapt him to look like Aragorn at the battle of Helm's Deep. While my LOTR action figures are all packed away from where I used to display them, the last time I displayed them was with a scene from---- you guessed it, the battle of Helm's Deep. I have enough of the AOME collection of LOTR to make a fair representation of--(say it with me) the battle of Helm's Deep (as well as two of the large Helm's Deep "castles" for a front and back).

Having said all of that (and you know where I'm leaning with this dio) like many of you here I really don't care for Aragorn's facial expression (and lack of stubble). I'm anxiously waiting to see more of this piece (and the $$$ tag as it's soon going to be time to start cutting loose some bait). I love the idea of adding this piece with the Berzerker (my favorite bad guy from the trilogy) and a Uruk Hai (for my money much more imposing than the orcs that were featured in Return of the King)--- but I really wish that Aragorn either had a better facial expression or it was Legolas and Gimli fighting on the wall back to back or maybe even greater the moment of Haldir's death (second to Gandalf possibly the best death in the trilogy---but that's a point that was already discussed at length in a previous thread).

Gee---- from my post do you think I'm passionate about this moment in the trilogy? Hint hint nudge nudge SS--- keep items coming from The Two Towers' climactic battle... 12" King Theoden, 12" Berzerker, 12" Haldir, 12" Uruk Hai, 6" Gimli:lol , 12" warrior Elf, PF Berzerker, PF Theoden, PF combined Legolas and Gimli...

and please, please fix Aragorn's facial expression (and add more stubble) or simply prove me and others wrong by displaying the prototype from different angles and blow us away.

gambit said:
Agreed wıth DL and woodsy

horrible face expression

probably will be an easy pass

It may be too early to write this piece off [without seeing it from various different angles], but how does something like this happen? I mean, how many people [SS, NL etc..] have a say in the approval process before a statue is produced? And didn't any of them have some concern about the facial expression or lack thereof?
It's too bad because other than that huge oversight, the diorama looks fantastic. The Uruk Hai look great, and even the Aragorn likeness is much better than anything we ever saw from SS/Weta. This is supposed to be a life or death scene. Where's the anger, rage , desperation, fear or anything else for that matter resembling emotion :confused:

I don't see the issue with the face. It's not like he has a dazed look on his face. He has a focused in the middle of battle look. I don't know if I want a real contorted face that throws off the look.

jlcmsu said:
I don't see the issue with the face. It's not like he has a dazed look on his face. He has a focused in the middle of battle look. I don't know if I want a real contorted face that throws off the look.

I agree that I wouldn't want a completely contorted look either-- but it's a statue/diorama and not a 1/6 that you'd want to pose in multiple fashions... a more emotional look or rather expressive look might help the overall energy of the piece--- and definitely more stubble.

DarthNeil said:
I agree that I wouldn't want a completely contorted look either-- but it's a statue/diorama and not a 1/6 that you'd want to pose in multiple fashions... a more emotional look or rather expressive look might help the overall energy of the piece--- and definitely more stubble.

Needs more stubble for sure. That's my #1 complaint on the piece.

Not giving anything away, I've seen this piece in person and it is really cool. This is a fine example of over judging a piece based on one picture. Seeing it in front of you you can see they did it right.

LOTR fans should be pretty pleased with this one. It's just as cool as the Frodo vs. Gollum statue. Only bigger :)

D. Martin said:
Not giving anything away, I've seen this piece in person and it is really cool. This is a fine example of over judging a piece based on one picture. Seeing it in front of you you can see they did it right.

LOTR fans should be pretty pleased with this one. It's just as cool as the Frodo vs. Gollum statue. Only bigger :)
Sweet....I am happy to hear that!:rock

D. Martin said:

I'm sure. It looks great really. Just the stubble I'd like to see changed.

jlcmsu said:
I do agree that the piece (or at least what we've seen of it) does look good so far, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the face looks perfect. It could be better. It just seems slightly out of place to me, but I'll wait until we see more pics before I say anything else about it.

I'll be pre-ordering mine for sure, but I do hope the pics that come in from SDCC shed some more light on the reason for this expression choice.

I don't know if I'd say the face is perfect but it looks good. Again, from what we've seen so far.

D. Martin said:

Well that's encouraging news! I had a feeling I shouldn't be too quick to judge this one based on a single photo... Thanks for letting us know!

Me too. It's a no brainer line for LOTR. I love how it captures the essence of the story. I think there's a nice balance between the movie accuracy and book accuracy. (i hope that made sense).

jlcmsu said:
Here's one of the banners for affiliates that shows a decent look at the face.

It's a nice tension filled face--- I'll just reserve any more judgement until I see more pics. I will say that I was extremely impressed with the SW This Is No Cave Environment---- That was above and beyond my expectations as I feel that I'm holding a moment directly out of my favorite of the entire SW Saga (ESB)--- If this diorama could do the same count me in.

It looks ok, fortunately the Uruks take up part of the attention.

The likeness does appear to be one of the better so far.

Should this be avaliable Thursday? I think the likeness looks great so far. I cannot wait for more pics.

Back