The Star Wars OT/PT general chat thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is that any different than the ST?

Well, it's all personal opinion, but while some jokes fell flat and Space Leia was just wrong, nothing else bothered me, except maybe looking at that Skeksis.

The acting was good, writing was well done, I liked the way the story went and felt more real to me,like instead of making Luke this infallible Hero, they showed he had vulnerabilities and made mistakes. As a matter of fact, the movie was a learning experience for so many of the characters, they made mistakes and would hopefully grow because of them.

Yoda didn't look as good as he did in ESB, but he was miles better than he was in the PT.

Rey and Ben's fight choreography was not perfect, but it was good.

It surprised me, Snokes demise, Reys lineage, which hasn't happened in a SW movie since ESB.

With the exception of lifting the rocks, there were no bad effects in the movie.

I would have done things differently, sure, but Im not the Director, nor do I honestly want my fan daydreams reproduced on screen. I want to see something I never imagined in the first place.

They ruined Obi-Wan in the OT. In the PT he’s a swashbuckling, tenacious Jedi who goes toe to toe with Jango Fett, shoots Grievous in the heart, cuts Darth Maul in two, and cripples Anakin in one fell swoop. The most epic scene he has in ANH is his nursing home duel with Vader.

They ruined Obi-Wan in the OT. In the PT he’s a swashbuckling, tenacious Jedi who goes toe to toe with Jango Fett, shoots Grievous in the heart, cuts Darth Maul in two, and cripples Anakin in one fell swoop. The most epic scene he has in ANH is his nursing home duel with Vader.

giphy-13.gif

I don’t know how firmly your tongue is in your cheek but it’s very refreshing in a SW thread to read an opinion you’ve never heard before. :lol

That was a nice video.

4793181-nujpi9y.jpg.gif

The stories are not the strongest
As if OT stories are some kind of unique greatness. :lol
It's just a bunch of slapped together elements from other popular stories Lucas liked, nothing more.

From Jar Jar
He's a 3PO of TPM, then 3PO got back.

lil Annie
I don't get it.

horrendous dialogue, inane humor (stepping in poop, for example)
Same can be said about Disney Wars with their edgy modern overdrive dialoges and obnoxious humor.
At least PT actually feels like a kids cartoon. At the time even Disney animated movies became bland edgy crap.

boring and unnecessary plot points
Boring? Maybe. Unnecessary? Mostly not.

over-choreographed fight scenes
So one thing that actually made PT look cool and popular among kids... is its week point? Yeah, no. :lol

dying of broken hearts
SW are nonsensical fairy tales for kids.
You really wanted that droid to say "It's a very complicated labor, we can only save her child" at the end?

bad puppet Yoda
In one movie. And at least it was Yoda and not some crazy ghost with god powers.

It really overpowered what was good.
For you. :)

They ruined Obi-Wan in the OT.
6084a8ea90d4970c07589e3876e1a05e.jpg

:rotfl :rotfl

Now that’s a fresh take if I’ve ever seen one. Kudos to you, sir.

Also random question, only for people who don’t like the ST:

What do you think of Kylo Ren’s TFA (mask on) design? Divorce it from the character and what he turned out to be, but just purely from a design standpoint? I know it was a reject from an older idea and I’m not bashing it in anyway, but just curious how you feel it fits in the SW world.

Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t.

Well, it's all personal opinion, but while some jokes fell flat and Space Leia was just wrong, nothing else bothered me, except maybe looking at that Skeksis.

The acting was good, writing was well done, I liked the way the story went and felt more real to me,like instead of making Luke this infallible Hero, they showed he had vulnerabilities and made mistakes. As a matter of fact, the movie was a learning experience for so many of the characters, they made mistakes and would hopefully grow because of them.

Yoda didn't look as good as he did in ESB, but he was miles better than he was in the PT.

Rey and Ben's fight choreography was not perfect, but it was good.

It surprised me, Snokes demise, Reys lineage, which hasn't happened in a SW movie since ESB.

With the exception of lifting the rocks, there were no bad effects in the movie.

I would have done things differently, sure, but Im not the Director, nor do I honestly want my fan daydreams reproduced on screen. I want to see something I never imagined in the first place.

I guess it’s the age old different strokes for different folks. I’m glad you have the ST to enjoy now while others had the PT and OT.

For me SW was always about the imagination - which I feel is completely lacking from the current movies. Everything is a play on something that came before, or bigger/more powerful versions of the old things instead of truly ‘new.’ I do admit the acting is better because... obviously lol.

I do take exception with the ‘Luke as an infallible hero’ bit though. The whole OT is about his fallibility, he fails on several occasions in several different ways outside of ep 4. I don’t know why that comes up as a new thing for Luke.

I also think the PT has lost the ‘overchoreographed’ fight scene crown after the throne room ballet. I won’t get into it about the ST any more than that.

Also with all the talk about dying of broken hearts it’s ironic the best example of that happening in real life comes from close to SW - Debbie Reynolds dying a day after Carrie Fisher.

But again I’m glad that the number of SW movies you can enjoy is growing. I’m happy with the 7 I like and the TCW show along with all the old in universe games and a few select EU things. There’s enough to last a lifetime there as it is. And maybe down the road something will rub me the right way like RO.

:rotfl :rotfl

Now that’s a fresh take if I’ve ever seen one. Kudos to you, sir.

Also random question, only for people who don’t like the ST:

What do you think of Kylo Ren’s TFA (mask on) design? Divorce it from the character and what he turned out to be, but just purely from a design standpoint? I know it was a reject from an older idea and I’m not bashing it in anyway, but just curious how you feel it fits in the SW world.

Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t.

But what Clown said is true.

If the movies are watched in order: 1-3, RO, 4-6. Kenobi and Anakin kick ass early on, Vader's power level is over 9000 in RO, and then they face off in senior citizen snoozeville just a movie later.... and the epic saga concluded with wiffle batting.

As for Kylo, his TFA oufit looked fine.

Oh I’m not disagreeing at all. It’s just I never heard anyone put it that way, it’s quite hilarious. (And true as you said)

On a side note, I wonder how many people *did* see them in order the first time they saw them?

I saw someone post a clever watch-order for their kids - ANH, ESB - stop it at the father revelation, TMP, AOTC, ROTS, -continue ESB, ROTJ.

Sequel Trilogy TBD, I guess. :lol

Yeah I’ve heard that order before. It’s definitely important if you want to preserve that moment (as it should be). But I feel like Vader being Luke’s father is something every kid just automatically knows nowadays even before they’ve seen them

Still I’d be curious of anyone who actually watched them numerically and what they thought, Captain Clown brought up a good point.

SW are nonsensical fairy tales for kids.
You really wanted that droid to say "It's a very complicated labor, we can only save her child" at the end?

It would have been simultaneously more plausible AND less insulting to the Padme character so yes :lol

Also with all the talk about dying of broken hearts it’s ironic the best example of that happening in real life comes from close to SW - Debbie Reynolds dying a day after Carrie Fisher.

Yeah but she was an old woman, not exactly in the best of health as it was so it's not quite the same thing.

PT has good backstories and War plot, it's just the Lucas didn't pace it and let acting be as good. That's it... I strongly believe that PT is disliked because of 80's childhood imagination of a Clone War and their own vision of Darth Vader at a young age as Anakin. I mean it's telling you about people you already know will become so there's no surprise. You see Palpatine in the PT and know that's the Emperor but you're like how did he become the Emperor? And to be honest Order 66 with Anakin storming the Temple is a genius tactical decision...

But alas because of love driven narrative not the quest for power of which many SW fans thought Anakin was is why they dislike it. However the noble jest is that Vader was sensed to be still good by his son, so if power wasn't Vader's determination what was? Which the slave narrative kinda fits, he was one as a child, a slave to the Jedi Oath, to the ideals of the Republic and ultimately to his Master in the end to lose everything he wanted and had. He was a broken man, twisted by evil because he had good intentions.

Now difference between PT and ST. OT already established character backstories so for them to drastically drift from who they were so much in ST is more of insult than the PT trying to show the backstories of OT people we knew hardly anything about besides who they were in OT.

Order 66 and the storming of the temple was indeed a great moment and quite the Machiavellian move from Palpatine, a great coup leading to the formation of the empire. You can see all the Greek / Roman tragedy and political influences as well as opposed to the more western and samurai feel of the OT. It was translated into the music as well.

The point about folks expecting a rise to power is also good as well as the slave thing. I guess one could say he was a slave all his life.

Slave on Tatooine
Slave to the Jedi Order
Slave to Palpatine
Luke set him free

But it’s not what was expected, and Lucas doubled down on the tragic figure RotJ made him. I could see why it rustled jimmies. But Lucas always seemed hung up on the ‘how someone good can do evil things with the best intentions’ thing. There’s a reason some fans don’t consider anything past Star Wars, Star Wars and consider even those who love ESB to be heathens :lol

And again back to anyone watching the movies in numerical order for the first time (if such a child exists)... I wonder if for someone who watched them like that if the ‘good guy’ Anakin turning out to be the villain in the end would have been a twist as well?

It would have been simultaneously more plausible AND less insulting to the Padme character so yes :lol

Yeah but she was an old woman, not exactly in the best of health as it was so it's not quite the same thing.

It’s about as close as you get in real life :lol

But yeah it would be simpler if she had just died of the asphyxiation combined with childbirth.

But again, Greek tragedy was Lucas’ aim... tends to be melodramatic, and explains a lot of his directing choices. (Whether one considers them good or ill)

And again back to anyone watching the movies in numerical order for the first time (if such a child exists)... I wonder if for someone who watched them like that if the ‘good guy’ Anakin turning out to be the villain in the end would have been a twist as well

There was one guy in here who claimed that was how he first watched the movies, and was proud of it. He's gone now, he was too tainted to be allowed to remain on the board.

You can still here his name when the wind blows.....

.......Weeeeeeeeee.....

Does anyone know about the Disney movies anywhere extras for the saga films?

I just recently ordered the saga Blu-ray set which has audio commentary for all 6 films. But in the movies anywhere app, it looks like not all of the commentaries are available. Is there any way to access the rest?

Thanks in advance!

Back