Media The Silent Hill series discussion thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
remasters are easy because of advanced a.i.

i see individual works individually. how did you feel about the silent hill movies? i only watched the 1st resident evil movie and ignored the rest. it may not suit me but it.might suit others, just like how old folks arent happy with new music but theres tons of younger fans of it.

the company probably has its reasons to do stuffs.
Honestly I didn't watch the silent hill movies, I felt like it would've left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I should check out the first movie now if it's even worth watching?

The first resident evil was most likely the best resident evil live action movie so you probably didn't miss anything, I watched the first and second RE movies and the second one was so much worse. I can't envision the multiple sequels that came after to be better in quality.

The reason is probably money; if a company has 50% chance or 80% chance to turn a profit I'd argue they'd likely go for the better chance every single time.

I partially agree. I would much rather devs focus on interesting new IPs rather than remake old games, but I do not disagree that good remakes should not be made. I would much rather older games be made available to newer audiences to play; decent ports and marketing could help. Preservation of older media seems less and less of a priority by major studios these days which really sucks. As much as I like re-imaginings of older titles, I'm just as much interested in seeing what the original thing was like.
I think it's more disappointment that the developers can't even make something original or devote their resources to something new.

It seems like the video game industry is going through the same thing that the movie industry realized; probability of success is easier when rehashing and rebooting existing IPs. They won't stop doing it until they start losing money.
I'm a tad more flexible here, because as you said the movie industry has been doing this for almost a century. Many of the most acclaimed movies of all time are remakes or adaptions of established IPs. "Gone with the Wind" and "Wizard of Oz" were in the 1930s but based on popular books at the time. Heck, you can watch 1910's "Frankenstein" by Edison Studios right now. As such, while I always love a great new IP, I don't have any problem with a worthy adaption or remake of a beloved story in the gaming industry either.
Honestly I didn't watch the silent hill movies, I felt like it would've left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I should check out the first movie now if it's even worth watching?
I have complicated feelings about the Silent Hill movies. Let me say I think the second movie is just outright bad, but the first one is incredibly strong at times, and incredibly weak at times. Understanding the behind-the-scenes of the first film reveals why a lot of it doesn't work (a lot of studio interference and studio-mandated changes, additions, and dialogue).

This is not the most accessible suggestion, but a very talented fan edited the original film to be closer to the director's vision. Called the "Restless Dreams" cut, it removes all the studio-mandated scenes and dialogue, resulting in a significantly improved film. Once we get to Silent Hill, the audience STAYS there, and it becomes an expertly-paced, atmospheric nightmare ride that I really feel does justice to the series. There was a really good film that the studio watered down, so if you ever get the urge I suggest tracking down that version to watch.
main-qimg-7fc1033fba715227bcc29bdc6daca490

Last edited:
I'm a tad more flexible here, because as you said the movie industry has been doing this for almost a century. Many of the most acclaimed movies of all time are remakes or adaptions of established IPs. "Gone with the Wind" and "Wizard of Oz" were in the 1930s but based on popular books at the time. Heck, you can watch 1910's "Frankenstein" by Edison Studios right now. As such, while I always love a great new IP, I don't have any problem with a worthy adaption or remake of a beloved story in the gaming industry either.

I have complicated feelings about the Silent Hill movies. Let me say I think the second movie is just outright bad, but the first one is incredibly strong at times, and incredibly weak at times. Understanding the behind-the-scenes of the first film reveals why a lot of it doesn't work (a lot of studio interference and studio-mandated changes, additions, and dialogue).

This is not the most accessible suggestion, but a very talented fan edited the original film to be closer to the director's vision. Called the "Restless Dreams" cut, it removes all the studio-mandated scenes and dialogue, resulting in a significantly improved film. Once we get to Silent Hill, the audience STAYS there, and it becomes an expertly-paced, atmospheric nightmare ride that I really feel does justice to the series. There was a really good film that the studio watered down, so if you ever get the urge I suggest tracking down that version to watch.
main-qimg-7fc1033fba715227bcc29bdc6daca490
I looked up the restless dreams fan-edit and it appears to be lost media at this point! If you have a copy of it lying around on your computer you could be saving SHCU lol

I enjoyed seeing the first film in theaters, even if it wasn't that good as a total package. Some of the scenes were perfect SH tableaus, and all the music was just lifted straight from the game soundtracks. Never saw the second one, I got warded off that hard

I actually loved the first Silent Hill film, still one of the best video game movie adaptations of all time imo, though it wasn't a high bar to reach lol.

The second film is pretty trash, you won't be missing out not watching it.

I too loved the first film and I know some in the SH fandom hated it because it deviated from the games but to me that's nitpicking. The tone, atmosphere, sense of mystery, awe and dread are all intact from game to film and I think it's probably my fav game adaptation. I'm excited that the director is coming back for a supposed sequel.

That said the second film is absolutely atrocious, I think it was made as a torture method or something we'll be watching on loop when we're all in hell.

I looked up the restless dreams fan-edit and it appears to be lost media at this point! If you have a copy of it lying around on your computer you could be saving SHCU lol
Yes, I still have it saved out somewhere. I was trying to see if I could get it burned to a DVD because it's not the easiest format to launch and play in currently.

upload it to google drive dude.
It's huge (over 30 GB), and I'm not entirely sure how best I would share it. It's in a weird format that is designed for DVD encoding. I've been seeing if I could just convert it to a more normal media format.

It's huge (over 30 GB), and I'm not entirely sure how best I would share it. It's in a weird format that is designed for DVD encoding. I've been seeing if I could just convert it to a more normal media format.
no dvd can hold 30gb file. what format and resolution is it in? maybe you need a bluray.

or convert it to smaller file.

You might have the Blu-ray rip? Maybe you can zip/rar compress it into several parts and then host it on zippyshare or something

You might have the Blu-ray rip? Maybe you can zip/rar compress it into several parts and then host it on zippyshare or something
Definitely the Blu-Ray size then. It’s in high-def. I’ll dig around but I do continue to attest it’s a brilliant rendition of the movie. All meat, no fluff. I’m not tech savvy so I’ll see how best to approach it.

Virtually everything Silent Hill can be considered lost media or abandonware at this point, from the games, artbooks, books and soundtracks. Since Konami released a newer MGS, Ninja Turtles, Castlevania and Contra Collections in the past few years I'm really hoping SH would follow suit.

I enjoyed seeing the first film in theaters, even if it wasn't that good as a total package. Some of the scenes were perfect SH tableaus, and all the music was just lifted straight from the game soundtracks. Never saw the second one, I got warded off that hard

This scene is still currently shown in many law enforcement training modules and academies. ( i.e. application of the ASP 26 inch expandable baton)

Cybil was awesome. While I respect and enjoy the core original story, if the first film had followed Cybil instead as the main POV character, it overall might have done a little better with general audiences.

I also have a copy on my computer as I went digging about 6 months ago. Had to combine split MKV. files. It was a task, so if @Garlador is unable to or needs help I can throw my hat into the ring.

Back