"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Predator Reboot...

I'd like to see Arnie return in the movie in a role like Busey's, the special task force team was a cool idea that I'm sure would have been expanded on if a Predator 3 movie had been made in the 90's.

More blood and gore wouldn't have them better movies. Blood helps makes the deaths more real and brutal but what made the kills great in Predator was the way they were executed IMO. Originality and making us care for the characters that die in the new movie will be what makes it work or not.

Are you saying that you didn't care about the pizza delivery boy in AvP:R and didn't like the movie despite their being tons of gore in the movie?! IMO, worst movie in the franchise by a mile.

Totally agree with your post.

IMO, worst movie in the franchise by a mile.
In the franchise that had two films only?
Come on, it was waaay better than the first bloodless borefest with space barbarians dyin' like nothing. :lol

Are you saying that you didn't care about the pizza delivery boy in AvP:R and didn't like the movie despite their being tons of gore in the movie?! IMO, worst movie in the franchise by a mile.

Totally agree with your post.

I will say that I prefer to watch AvPR over Predators, purely based on Wolf and partly because deep down I'd rather root for a pizza delivery boy than a rapist (Stans for example).

I will say that I prefer to watch AvPR over Predators, purely based on Wolf and partly because deep down I'd rather root for a pizza delivery boy than a rapist (Stans for example).

Really? Wolf is an awesome creature design but AVP:R is a seriously bad movie however you look at it, it's actually difficult to watch. Predators was actually a surprisingly good movie imo with pretty decent production values and some fairly solid acting to boot. I didn't like the idea of "Super Predators" at all, but over all it was a decent flick. You were never meant to root for Stans really, and he got his just deserts, that was another strength actually, it had characters that you could hate, and some you could root for, it also had one that threw you for a twist, I liked it.

The reason the suspense and the tension building worked in the first it was because it was the first time we saw the creature and because the team had a mission to do

Before getting to the predator the movie was interesting in the sense that even if u took out the alien following them the movie still had a good plot.
The second movie also had an okay plot... The gang war stuff was pretty good

Take out the pred and the gang stuff was still interesting to watch like the first one.

Predators has nothing like that
There Is no second plot. There is nothing going on except the group being stranded. That makes it really boring to watch a second time
Avp had the exploration plot which Is alright.

Avpr could have been awesome since it could have had 3 plots going, the pred. The aliens attacking and the humans
Before the aliens and predators show the movie should have been interesting to see

But still avpr had more going on than predators

We have seen the pred 5 times in movies now... I wish they gave us a movie that didn't take 40 minutes to show him.
Have a strong second plot and work the pred into it earlier

Predators has nothing like that
There Is no second plot. There is nothing going on except the group being stranded. That makes it really boring to watch a second time
Avp had the exploration plot which Is alright.

Avpr could have been awesome since it could have had 3 plots going, the pred. The aliens attacking and the humans
Before the aliens and predators show the movie should have been interesting to see

But still avpr had more going on than predators

I agree with the notion that Predator had its own thing going on and was rudely interrupted by a murderous Yautja. But I don't see the conclusion above, you say Predators has nothing, but AVP:R has the Aliens and Predator attacking, well Predators had two factions of Predators attacking each other and the humans (as well as various others) so in that regard it offered just as much. It also had better character building etc which makes a big difference. Predators was intentionally different though, it was more like a battle royale as they were dropped in an arena specifically to be hunted, so that pretty much was the plot. I'm not saying it was an excellent film, but it offered pretty much what I expected from it, more in fact as AVP:R had pretty much killed off all expectations I had for the franchise.

I hope the new movie has a strong second/sub plot. I think we're all expecting another war like scenario but it'd be great if they give us something completely new and unique but still has good. If you think about it the first two movies have a bigger plot with the Predator twist running along side, this works well.

Your post prompted me to look up Predator 2 trivia on imdb.com. Very interesting stuff (if true.)

Some highlights:

1. Gary Busey's role was written for Schwarzenegger but Arnold thought that part would be stupid for him and declined. :lol

2. Patrick Swayze was offered the role of Harrigan prior to Glover but couldn't participate due to injuries incurred while filming Road House.

3. Predator 2 was the first movie to be given the brand new NC-17 rating prior to 20 cuts to bring the violence level down.

4. The film was set in 1997 and all the actors sweated profusely as a cautionary nod to the impending global warming crisis, but actual 1997 turned out to be a degree colder on average than it was in 1990. :lol

5. Fox offered the directing job to McTiernan again but they couldn't afford him after Die Hard increased his asking price.

6. Fox briefly considered having Arnold return to help Harrigan but by that time he was already committed to T2.

Predator 2 (1990) - Trivia - IMDb

That's imdb for you, like Wikipedia any idiot who sign in can edit it.

1. Arnie thought it was a bad idea to remove the setting from the jungle to a city, Arnie's role was adapted for Busey including switching around the ending. Baldwin sliced, Arnie enters Preds ship, Harrigan turns up at the end and says 'you'll get another chance'.

2. I don't remember that so it might be true.

3. Like I said there was a battle between the director and the censors, cut and compromise ended up with the weakened film you see.

4. 100% true

5. John McTiernan declined on two main points. First he didn't like the idea of switching from jungle to city, he described it as dumb. Secondly he thought by not revealing the Predator too soon created suspense, people knew now what the Pred was and he didn't think it would be the same a second time.

6. Arnie was committed to T2 before Pred2 was even greenlit, he had a small window in which he could make the film but he'd only commit if they rewrote it to be set in the jungle.

I agree with the notion that Predator had its own thing going on and was rudely interrupted by a murderous Yautja. But I don't see the conclusion above, you say Predators has nothing, but AVP:R has the Aliens and Predator attacking, well Predators had two factions of Predators attacking each other and the humans (as well as various others) so in that regard it offered just as much. It also had better character building etc which makes a big difference. Predators was intentionally different though, it was more like a battle royale as they were dropped in an arena specifically to be hunted, so that pretty much was the plot. I'm not saying it was an excellent film, but it offered pretty much what I expected from it, more in fact as AVP:R had pretty much killed off all expectations I had for the franchise.

Whenever I watch predators I tend to skip the first 30 minutes
It is just too much fodder
It would work like battle Royale IF humans were trying to hunt the main group.

Fatburn should have been awesome, they should have had a second group trying to kill the other one plus the preds.

Or like I said, show the predators earlier. Since the ONLY plot was humans dropped/ predators hunt, they should have made the predators attack sooner, or show their perspective
If they showed the. Super press capturing the classic one, or setting up the traps... That would have been more interesting

We do not even have a battle Royale subplot..... At all, we have nothing but people walking around for 35 minutes looking at the land.
They barely show the press once .
They show that ridiculous hunting dog
Then after like 40 minutes fatburn shows up....

Like I said, fake suspense and fake build up

The original really did hunt one by one. Actually stalked

The super preds, In predators send a f Ing dog after the group :lol
Talk about subtle lol

Last edited:

That's imdb for you, like Wikipedia any idiot who sign in can edit it.

1. Arnie thought it was a bad idea to remove the setting from the jungle to a city, Arnie's role was adapted for Busey including switching around the ending. Baldwin sliced, Arnie enters Preds ship, Harrigan turns up at the end and says 'you'll get another chance'.

2. I don't remember that so it might be true.

3. Like I said there was a battle between the director and the censors, cut and compromise ended up with the weakened film you see.

4. 100% true

5. John McTiernan declined on two main points. First he didn't like the idea of switching from jungle to city, he described it as dumb. Secondly he thought by not revealing the Predator too soon created suspense, people knew now what the Pred was and he didn't think it would be the same a second time.

6. Arnie was committed to T2 before Pred2 was even greenlit, he had a small window in which he could make the film but he'd only commit if they rewrote it to be set in the jungle.

What would have been the point in making Predator 2 with Arnie in the jungle again? Moving it to a city was absolutely the right move. Can't agree with McTiernan and Arnie on this one.

What would have been the point in making Predator 2 with Arnie in the jungle again? Moving it to a city was absolutely the right move. Can't agree with McTiernan and Arnie on this one.

Yep, the city hunter aspect worked great and added something new to the character.

I love the fact that p2 Is a city movie.
I love the futuristic thing they had going on, love the cast. Love the sets, it was awesome

Now we need a pred movie in a desert setting

Avpr was supposed to be set in a war in the middle east... Not sure why they didnt

The whole idea was that within a jungle the Pred's cloaking device was more useful than in a city or so Arnie and McTiernan thought. In the jungle they have to lure the Pred out into the open but in the city its more about detecting it and following clues, i think once you see how effective they made the Preds camouflage and how it used buildings in the city like it uses trees in the jungle. I like the idea of a Pred in the Middle East and there's certainly enough conflict to attract them, but would Hollywood want any special forces team other than an American team? I would've liked to seen a special forces team being hunted on the banks of the Euphrates in Iraq/Syria.

One of the dumbest ideas with Pred2 is the hidden ship, how the **** did nobody see or hear it landing in the tunnel? And seeing the scorched earth trail it left exiting the tunnel how did it get in without disturbing the environment?

From what I could tell about the unused avpr middle east script is that it would be an American team and the survivors would have to join forces with son of the local fighters to fight the aliens

( the pred storyline would be the same as the movie we got, a cleaner pred )

Have to say - you surprised me there. I can happily watch PREDATORS over and over - AVPR - OMG SOOO bad I cringe whenever my Son suggests watching it - even though it was filmed just down the road from me (I was on set for a fair bit of the filming) and given I ADORE most things Pred-related.

But - as always - each to their own.

Snap

I wouldn't change a THING about P2 (except the cut bits - see below) - it's an amazing piece of work that expanded the universe just enough without giving too much away.

I wish I was rich enough to fund a campaign to track down the full unedited version - it's a shame that the cut parts will be forever lost due to aging/degredation before SOMEONE realises how much money they could make by issuing a COMPLETE BluRay version.

And FYI - the version we saw in the UK when it was in the theatres had differences to the versions subsequently released on DVD in Europe AND North America. Little things - but differences nonetheless.

Have to say - you surprised me there. I can happily watch PREDATORS over and over - AVPR - OMG SOOO bad I cringe whenever my Son suggests watching it - even though it was filmed just down the road from me (I was on set for a fair bit of the filming) and given I ADORE most things Pred-related.

But - as always - each to their own.

If it helps I haven't watched either for a long time. :lol

It's hard to watch AVPR. Literally! It's hard to watch the movie because it's so damn dark for most of the fight scenes!

Back