The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Wow, going to have to go against the current here, IMO the trailer is arse - did not capture the essence of the Hobbit at all for me and the dwarves are not what I would have pictured. Its basically way too much towards LOTR for me at the cost of authenticity to the original material. I realize continuity counts, but that is not Tolkien's The Hobbit...

Last edited:

Amazing trailer, I had no idea that the Hobbit was so close to release!! It's a shame that Aragorn isn't in it, but I'm stoked that a lot of the main characters are back, especially Gandalf and Legolas :D

And Smeagol at the end was AWESOME!

If George Lucas was directing, 10 year old Aragon, would be know as little Argie and play a big part in the movie. Along with little Boromir.:lol

Wow, going to have to go against the current here, IMO the trailer is arse - did not capture the essence of the Hobbit at all for me and the dwraves are not what I would have pictured. Its basically way too much towards LOTR for me at the cost of authenticity to the original material. I realize continuity counts but that is not Tolkien's The Hobbit...

The Hobbit is a children's book, and as much as I love it, I don't want this to look like a children's movie.

The Hobbit is a children's book, and as much as I love it, I don't want this to look like a children's movie.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

The tone for this movie appearts to be exactly 100% spot on where it needs to be.

I'm at work, is it a good trailer? It's going to be hard to take Martin Freeman seriously.

Wow, going to have to go against the current here, IMO the trailer is arse - did not capture the essence of the Hobbit at all for me and the dwarves are not what I would have pictured. Its basically way too much towards LOTR for me at the cost of authenticity to the original material. I realize continuity counts, but that is not Tolkien's The Hobbit...

As I stated in a previous post, I agree with that statement, but I'm pretty sure I'll get over it once the movie comes out.

Both Kili and Thorin look like humans to me, not dwarves. The other's (with the exception of Gloin and Dwalin) look like caricatures of dwarves, and nothing like teh dwarves we've seen in Gimli (obviously) or the dwarves in the Fellowship prologue and at Elrond's council.

But again, I'm sure I'll get over it.

Introducing Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, and Thorin Oakenshield
hobbit3.jpg

However, as for the rest of your statement:

:lecture:lecture:lecture

The tone for this movie appearts to be exactly 100% spot on where it needs to be.

I agree with these gentlemen. Fantastic.

I'm at work, is it a good trailer? It's going to be hard to take Martin Freeman seriously.

It's a pretty damn good trailer. Shows a lot: obviously all the dwarves, some battle scenes against goblins, and the dwarves against the stone trolls, and Bilbo's first meeting with Gollum...

Freeman really looks the part, you can even see some of the changes Bilbo undergoes on the journey from this trailer. I can't remember the last time a trailer got me this stoked for a movie :rock

Hi everyone! This year is the tenth anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, and we wanted to give the fans a Christmas treat ahead of the release of the two Hobbit movies in Dec 2012 and 2013. Stay tuned for more. Cheers!
-PJ's facebook.

I wonder if this means we might get another documentary. That would be awesome!

Absolutely amazing, I got that same old feeling I got years ago looking forward to the LOTR movies coming out.

Way to go P.J. !! :rock

Both Kili and Thorin look like humans to me, not dwarves. The other's (with the exception of Gloin and Dwalin) look like caricatures of dwarves, and nothing like teh dwarves we've seen in Gimli (obviously) or the dwarves in the Fellowship prologue and at Elrond's council.

But again, I'm sure I'll get over it.

Going by an early pic that came out in July of Fili and Kili yes the faces look more human than what we have seen before, but I think when you see the complete look they will come across more Dwarfish.
hobbit-filikili-newdwarvesFLgood3.jpg

Those are young Dwarves, so my guess is the older a Dwarf gets the more he resembles how we have seen them in LOTR E.g Gloin and Oin
hobbit-gloinfirstlookdwarvesfull574.jpg

Going by an early pic that came out in July of Fili and Kili yes the faces look more human than what we have seen before, but I think when you see the complete look they will come across more Dwarfish.
hobbit-filikili-newdwarvesFLgood3.jpg

Those are young Dwarves, so my guess is the older a Dwarf gets the more he resembles how we have seen them in LOTR E.g Gloin and Oin
hobbit-gloinfirstlookdwarvesfull574.jpg

Thanks for those pics, Dino. :wave

Dino

The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as the played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes; and this is like a fragment of their song, if it can be like their song without their music.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old...

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light...

As they sang the hobbit felt the love of beautiful things made by hands and by cunning and by magic moving through him, a fierce and a jealous love, the desire of the hearts of dwarves. Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick. He looked out of the window. The stars were out in a dark sky above the trees. He thought of the jewels of the dwarves shining in dark caverns. Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up--probably somebody lighting a wood-fire--and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr Baggins of Bag-End, Under-Hill, again.

The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as the played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes; and this is like a fragment of their song, if it can be like their song without their music.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old...

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light...

As they sang the hobbit felt the love of beautiful things made by hands and by cunning and by magic moving through him, a fierce and a jealous love, the desire of the hearts of dwarves. Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick. He looked out of the window. The stars were out in a dark sky above the trees. He thought of the jewels of the dwarves shining in dark caverns. Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up--probably somebody lighting a wood-fire--and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr Baggins of Bag-End, Under-Hill, again.

:clap :yess: :hi5: :clap :yess: :hi5: :clap :yess: :hi5:

Looking back at the pics that Dino posted, I'm glad the dwarves aren't all armed with the stereotypical dwarven weapons in all fantasy tales, i.e. battle axe, war hammer, or mace. Kili looks like a dwarven ranger, and is that a battle staff that Gloin has?

The trailer captures the tone of that scene from the book just perfectly. It's going to be a long wait until next Christmas!

I got goosebumps when the orchestra kicked in with the instrumental version of the dwarves' song--I'm so glad that the falling out between PJ and Howard Shore over the rejected King Kong score didn't keep them from working together again on The Hobbit. I can't wait to buy the complete recording score packages for both for the Hobbt films.

Back