The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

THorin :(

Hope PJ can tease us with Legolas,Thranduil or a pic of Evangaline Lily.
Maybe even Chris Lee and the White Council?

If not,i will just settle for Goblin King pics mwahahahahahaah.
SPOILED we all are i say.

I agree with whoever said some of those dwarfs look like caricatures of dwarfs. Some of the makeup looks Star Trek TNG bad.

That was me, but the more I watch the trailer and see these pics, the more I'm accepting / liking them. Let me throw in the caveat that the first time I saw the dwarves was while watching the trailer last night. Yes, I know that images were released in the summer, but I placed a self-imposed moratorium on myself on all news regarding The Hobbit (a little silly considering I've read the book numerous times). Between 2000 and 2003, I lived and breathed the LOTR films, taking in every photo, news, tidbit, etc. I wanted to see if I could make it to this film without knowing anything about the movie, despite having read the book. When the LOTR films first came out, numerous friends asked my questions about the trilogy, and part of me envied the fact that were able to discover the trilogy that way (one of the reasons why I'm not reading the Song of Ice and Fire series until after each respective season).

Anyways, after pretty much skipping this thread, the trailer made me go back and skim / read through the whole thread.

Sorry to chime in so late to these threads but don't take my lack of talk for a lack of interest.

For some odd reason in December I become re-obsessed with Tolkien. I managed to find the blu ray extended at my walmart last week for 50% off. Been wanting it since it came out but wasnt willing to pay retail. Been watching them all day, and will likely be playing them again in the background tomorrow. I usually always have something from the Trilogy going eg. music, music, inspired art work.

One thing you can count on with this film is that there will be plenty of aimless walking in front of beautiful backgrounds.

I'll be watching for all the transitions in scale :lol. Dunno why that always catches my eye

I'm at work, is it a good trailer? It's going to be hard to take Martin Freeman seriously.

Well, Bilbo isn't exactly a dead-pan character. I think Freeman will do really well. I can't wait to see him freak out as all the dwarves start arriving! :panic: :lol

Both Kili and Thorin look like humans to me, not dwarves.

Those are the only two that still bother me a little. Thorin especially. I get that Kili is young and they wanted to create a "hunky" dwarf for the ladies, but Thorin just seems out of character. My understanding is that they didn't want him to have a big bushy beard so you could get more of the nuances of his acting performance, which makes sense. I think seeing him on screen will win us all over.

The other's (with the exception of Gloin and Dwalin) look like caricatures of dwarves, and nothing like teh dwarves we've seen in Gimli (obviously) or the dwarves in the Fellowship prologue and at Elrond's council.

I thought that at first as well, but I think they did a great job of giving variety to the character design. We don't want a troop of Gimli clones (like Gloin). And as far as them looking like "caricatures", you do have to admit that with the exception of Thorin these guys are pretty silly in the book. I think the looks suit them well.

But again, I'm sure I'll get over it.

You will. :1-1:

Thanks for those pics, Dino. :wave

Dino

You are welcome Dino :wave

Dino

:lol :grouphug

The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as the played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes; and this is like a fragment of their song, if it can be like their song without their music.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old...

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light...

As they sang the hobbit felt the love of beautiful things made by hands and by cunning and by magic moving through him, a fierce and a jealous love, the desire of the hearts of dwarves. Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick. He looked out of the window. The stars were out in a dark sky above the trees. He thought of the jewels of the dwarves shining in dark caverns. Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up--probably somebody lighting a wood-fire--and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr Baggins of Bag-End, Under-Hill, again.

:goodpost: :monkey2

I'm sure San Diego Comic Con 2012 will have the first preview of some of the collectibles from The Hobbit.

Saw the trailer for this today. Seems like a Lord of the Rings ripoff what with McKellan playing the old stoner and the midgets and whatnot. No originality in Hollywood nowadays.

I have to disagree... It was written by Tolkien and is the same setting as the Lord of the Rings so it should be quite similar.

sarcasm01.jpg

:lol Sorry. To quote a great former NFL coach, I don't know diddly poo about this story, but the trailer looks good to me. I dig the guy from the Office as Bilbo.

Saw the trailer for this today. Seems like a Lord of the Rings ripoff what with McKellan playing the old stoner and the midgets and whatnot. No originality in Hollywood nowadays.

They're not gay! They are Hobbits!!!

:lol Sorry. To quote a great former NFL coach, I don't know diddly poo about this story, but the trailer looks good to me. I dig the guy from the Office as Bilbo.

So wait, you weren't being sarcastic? :cuckoo: :lol

Then I have to concur with jungle jom. :lecture

To be clear, in movie terms, this movie is a "prequel" to Lord of the Rings. However, Tolkien wrote The Hobbit first, with Lord of the Rings being written as a sequel. So yeah, they should look similar considering it's a lot of the same characters in the same world...

If anything, Hobbit should've been the first movie followed by LOTR.

Then again, what do I know, I'm a Batman lover.

The Trailer was great and it has swayed my opinion a bit on the boy band dwarfs. It really felt like "There and Back Again".

The singing felt surprisingly cheesy. Didn't like that bit. Martin Freeman has nailed Iain Holme's voice. That was note perfect.
Does anyone know if Chris Lee is in this or out due to advance old age?

Back