The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Ian McKellen on The Hobbit: 'My Time is Running Out'

Courtesy of New York Magazine

Ian McKellan seems to be growing frustrated with the continuously-stalled Hobbit films, which Peter Jackson may or may not direct. On New Zealand’s Good Morning show, the actor said that an announcement related to The Hobbit is imminent: "It'll either be, we're going ahead or we're not," McKellen said. The actor is supposed to play Gandalf The Grey if the two-part Lord Of The Rings prequel actually happens, but he's not even sure he'll be part of the production at all anymore: "Well, I’m not under contract and my time is running out and I’m enjoying working in the theater and frankly, I would like to race after doing Waiting For Godot, get on with doing another play, but we’ll have to see. I don’t give the producers the impression that I’m sitting waiting."

Skip to 4:30 for Hobbit info
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/wAr1nLcmqeQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/wAr1nLcmqeQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Come on MGM or whoever...... ____ or get off the pot!!!

Oh wow! I didn't know that Sir Ian was looking that old. I hope that he is in good health and would be able to hold up to a grueling filming schedule!:pray: It would not be the same without him.

I've said it in every thread and I'll say it again, these movies will never see the light of day.

You guys need to start telling yourselves this. Prepare for the worst.

I'm currently reading the Hobbit again. At least we'll always have the book.

:read

I'll never understand why and how this project has been so delayed. :impatient:

I understand when something like Spiderman took YEARS and many different directors/writers to make. It was a *gamble* back then, but the Hobbit is a guaranteed money maker and will make 100s of millions in its opening week alone, even if it isnt very good. :tap

Oh wow! I didn't know that Sir Ian was looking that old. I hope that he is in good health and would be able to hold up to a grueling filming schedule!:pray: It would not be the same without him.

That was my first impression when I saw him with the raggedy beard, but when you listen to him talk he sounds as good as ever.

He also looks "old" because he's wearing an old man's sweater and groomed to play the part of a hobo in the play he's in. I remember seeing a video of someone giving him change when he was sitting outside of a theater in costume. It was just adorable!

Some Hope...

Courtesy of NYdailynews

Peter Jackson casting 'The Hobbit' in Los Angeles, close to signing directing deal: report

Peter Jackson is taking his old bones to the shire once again.

"The Lovely Bones" director is meeting with actors in Los Angeles to cast "The Hobbit," according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Though the movie has not been officially green lit, Jackson has reportedly also made stops in New York and England to cast the film.

Sources told the industry Web site that Jackson is on the brink of signing a deal with Warner Bros. to direct the two-part "Hobbit" adaptation.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, MGM holds half the rights to the property but is currently in financial turmoil.

MGM would need to sign off on the film even if Warner Bros. decides to fund it alone.

"The Hobbit" went up for grabs in May when director Guillermo Del Toro left due to reported scheduling conflicts.

Jackson was set to produce, having directed the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, but expressed concerns at helming the film over timing concerns. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Jackson would not commit to the project unless it was fast-tracked to appear in theaters in 2012 and 2013.

Once they are cast, both "Hobbit" films will be shot back-to-back in New Zealand, deadline.com reports.

Sounds like promising news. I've just started reading The Hobbit today ramping up toward tackling The Lord of the Rings, and aiming to be completed with them both before school starts back up for me. I do tend to be a slow reader, as I'm somewhat OCD and don't like to miss a single beat. If I drift while reading, I will return to the beginning of the paragraph and start it again.

I think the new maquette line reinvigorated my interest in these books.

Anyway, great news indeed.

Thanks for the update KAOS. I'm not ready to go chicken little yet.

I'll never understand why and how this project has been so delayed. :impatient:

I understand when something like Spiderman took YEARS and many different directors/writers to make. It was a *gamble* back then, but the Hobbit is a guaranteed money maker and will make 100s of millions in its opening week alone, even if it isnt very good. :tap

My thoughts too. So the company is in finansial problems ..... then why not go ahead and make a 110% sure blockbuster cashcow. What bank won't lend them money to something that can only be a winner :slap I just don't get it

My thoughts too. So the company is in finansial problems ..... then why not go ahead and make a 110% sure blockbuster cashcow. What bank won't lend them money to something that can only be a winner :slap I just don't get it
Didn't Lord of the Rings save New Line's ass?

Problem is MGM is in dept for billions from what I have read. At this point they may actually be forced to sell their rights to the Hobbit. I think Warner has made an offer to buy MGM which would clear the way for the Hobbit. If they won't sell you the rights to the Hobbit then just buy the whole company as a fan sounds like great thinking to me.

Well rumours are once again gathering steam that Dr Who will in fact be playing Bilbo but not David Tennant as most thought but possibly Sylvester McCoy.

https://www.theonering.net/

Hmm, that could be a much more interesting choice and I think he could even pull it off too.

Since this thread hasn't been bumped for awhile, I'm going to throw this out there....

Having just read The Hobbit, I started it ages ago and never finished it, I have to ask, is there really that much to it to justify a two parter since they claim they aren't going to write a tie-in to Lord of the Rings? I can see a 2 1/2 hour movie, but a 4 to 5+ hour two parter? I'm just not sure unless they're going to add more to it than what is written.

Just in case some haven't read The Hobbit, I can't point out things, but it just seems to short of a read for a two parter.

Is it just me?

I do not agree. For me The Hobbit is a one of a kind book because on not so many pages is so much content. I can imagine a movie of 2,5 hours and - as you mentioned it - they will tell more "what is not written" but happened between the Hobbit an The Lord of the rings.....thats why it will be a 2 parter....sorry for my bad english!

Back