The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Good review Gruff Old Bear.

I think I'm just going to settle with a regular 2D experience at a regular theater. I'm not hearing good things about this 3D 48fps crap. I'm getting sick of 3D, IMAX, fake IMAX, etc. I just want to watch to watch these films the old fashioned way, on a normal theater screen.

I've seen Skyfall, Lincoln, Dredd, etc. all at normal theaters and the viewing experiences were fine. This should be no different. **** 3D 48fps.

Great review!:duff I'm watching it in HFR 3D. I want to experience it for myself before I write it off. Of course, I will watch it in all other formats as well. As long as the story and movie itself are good, I won't have a problem.:)

I think I'm just going to settle with a regular 2D experience at a regular theater. I'm not hearing good things about this 3D 48fps crap. I'm getting sick of 3D, IMAX, fake IMAX, etc. I just want to watch to watch these films the old fashioned way, on a normal theater screen.

I've seen Skyfall, Lincoln, Dredd, etc. all at normal theaters and the viewing experiences were fine. This should be no different. **** 3D 48fps.

You gotta at least give it a shot once...Any way it's viewed it will be great but you gotta at least give it a shot

Saw it, and I enjoyed it so much it pains me to have to say right off the bat that this is going to be a very controversial production. Jackson and Philippa Boyen attended last night's screening and sat for questions, and most of what I have to report will be about their comments, not about who and what made the final edit. I'm glad I knew relatively little when I went in, and I hope my fellow Freaks can avoid spoilers and hustle their butts into theatre seats when this opens in 10 days.

It has been said by many fine directors that 90% of their job is to cast the picture right. Jackson couldn't have found a better Bilbo -- or, I think, a better Thorin. With the trilogy's Gandalf and Gollum back in action, the cast has four strong anchors, and the remaining dozen dwarves are all distinct, strong personalities. The art direction, makeup, costumes, and post-production CGI are as convincing as they were in the trilogy. And the lighting will probably be just as beautiful in the 24fps version. Jackson confirmed that there is a 24fps version; when filming started there wasn't a theatre in the world capable of showing what they were shooting at 48fps. I imagine there are many theaters that still can't handle a non-standard film print.

3D is itself still an acquired taste; this picture was shot in true 3D and is, I think, easily the equal of Avatar in using the depth of 3D to fully compose each image, rather than for "thrusting" effects. It doesn't often spit things out at you, rather, it pulls you in. Jackson commented that the remaining step in bringing this technique to full effect is still months away -- laser projectors that will brighten the screen, though this film seems plenty bright.

The real controversy will be Jackson's experiment with the frame rate. He told the audience he'd begun exploring while making a short film segment for Universal's King Kong ride. The Kong short was shot at 60fps. It sounded as though he really viewed the increased frame rate here as an extension of the 3D. He still clearly believes in it, and it may be that it simply takes some getting used to. But the complaint that's been heard is one I found to be true. There are moments when the film seems to look like a television show, and it does take you out of the story. I felt it in action sequences; a friend felt it in the close-ups. I should note that I went into the screening with the mistaken belief that the film was only partly shot in 48fps, like Christopher Nolan's partial use of Imax cameras in The Dark Knight. I didn't notice anything different until midway through the arrivals of the "unexpected guests" at Bag End. And for long stretches I thought I was watching normal 24fps film, before something would suddenly strike me as, well, video. I honestly don't feel I have a handle on how to describe this viewing experience. But I'm afraid it will prove to be a distraction for many viewers. It might be real, but I don't find it beautiful.

Asked about the additional material, Jackson indicated that most of it came from the appendices at the end of ROTK, and that prior to his death Tolkien was weighing whether to write a new revision of The Hobbit to tie it more closely to the trilogy; the new film may be closer to what Tolkien himself envisioned than we have any right to expect. Philippa Boyen added that the material in the actual book may make for a quick read, but it is actually time-consuming on screen. They both seemed to take pleasure in having been able to not cut so much as is usually necessary for a film adaptation, though Jackson did say in response to a question that, yes, there will be extended editions on DVD one day. The material to do it is there. (I don't have an exact timing, but I think The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is already about 2 hours 20.) The journey of the dwarves and their plus-one proves to lend itself pretty well to additions. Everything they pass along the way provides a natural gateway to a song, or a tale, or an encounter.

My greatest curiosity going in was simply how the film would treat the One Ring itself, since the audience already knows what it is and will regard it with apprehension. In the book, it was simply a magical ring, a secret weapon, and a typical fairy-tale element, and readers didn't learn until later its true nature. As it turns out, knowing more than the characters do is itself a pleasure.

I'm really sorry say so much about the filming technique, and don't want to leave the impression that the film adaptation itself is anything but a joy to behold. I think fans will love the movie, but probably prefer the standard 24fps print. I'm looking forward to that version when I see this film again.

Yes, there are some nice casting surprises. You'll have to see it for yourself to experience those. No spoilers here. :peace

Awesome review...thank you

Sounds like about what I've heard from others on the frame rate. Its going to be love it or hate it i think. As far as the run time of the movies its 2 hours 45 mins I believe but if it felt shorter it may be time flies when you're having fun. Also it sounds like the movie is as much fun as I hope it would be.

Seems like too much CGI and green screen, honestly, I could sort of tell by the contrast lighting in a lot of the scenes, especially Rivendell. All the orcs and goblins are CGI? Sounds like the Clone Troopers and Battle Droids in the prequels.

The orcs and Uruk-Hai in LOTR were amazing. All actors, all stuntmen, all prosthetic/make up work. Lurtz, Gothmog, Shagrat, Grishnakh, Ugluck, the grunts, they were all real. Sort of disappointing. Why not just continue the monster effects that were done before? Nobody complained?

No way am I going to write this off over a few reviews though. I'm still excited and looking forward to it.

Rivendell looked just as fake in LOTR. It was the one location that stood out to me in LOTR as being fake, much more so than all the rest. The use of matte paintings and greenscreen is very apparent. What I have seen of Rivendell from The Hobbit looks pretty much like it did 10 years ago, and I must admit I'm slightly disappointed. But I love the LOTR in spite of Rivendell's odd CGI environment, and I'm sure I'll love The Hobbit in spite of it, too.

Orcs and Goblins are a mixture of prosthetics and CGI this time around. Jackson explained that he used CGI to enhance their faces and make them more alien. He mentioned that it's nearly impossible to hide the human features of the eyes and nose with prosthetics, so he used CG to put eyes and noses where they could not be placed with prosthetics.

But I agree with you, no need to write this off. Overall the film looks absolutely fantastic. One of my best friends will be seeing it next Tuesday. I'm super jealous. I'll post her thoughts here after she reports in.

Rivendell looked just as fake in LOTR. It was the one location that stood out to me in LOTR as being fake, much more so than all the rest. The use of matte paintings and greenscreen is very apparent. What I have seen of Rivendell from The Hobbit looks pretty much like it did 10 years ago, and I must admit I'm slightly disappointed. But I love the LOTR in spite of Rivendell's odd CGI environment, and I'm sure I'll love The Hobbit in spite of it, too.

Orcs and Goblins are a mixture of prosthetics and CGI this time around. Jackson explained that he used CGI to enhance their faces and make them more alien. He mentioned that it's nearly impossible to hide the human features of the eyes and nose with prosthetics, so he used CG to put eyes and noses where they could not be placed with prosthetics.

But I agree with you, no need to write this off. Overall the film looks absolutely fantastic. One of my best friends will be seeing it next Tuesday. I'm super jealous. I'll post her thoughts here after she reports in.

Rivendell I thought looked stunning in The Lord of the Rings and am glad it looks like it did in those movies. As far as the Orcs and Goblins from what I've seen in trailers and in the making of books they look pretty damn cool. So this change seems to have worked for sure.

Skyfall in IMAX was awesome though. Just saying. I do hate LIEMAX and 3D. Regular screen for me.

Great review GOB! I had already made up my mind to watch in old-fashioned 2D for the first look...didn't want any distractions to mar my experience. Will give the 3D, IMAX, 48fps, and a-partridge-in-a-pear-tree versions a shot for viewing later.

I hope this is what happens to 48fps HFR

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5444-1354297408-3.gif

Movies should look like movies, not like hi def tv shows.

I love how you see the "captain's" shades go flying after he falls. :lol

I don't understand how some reviewers are counting th 48fps agains the actual movie? AHEM IGN....

I just want to know if the movie itself was good. Hell I don't even have a theater within an hours drive to see the 48fps. I will go to the regular 3D version if I can get out. I can't wait! :rock

As long as the film is good it will be fine in any theater...at least we have choices...All I care about is a great film...but will give the new 3D IMAX version at least a shot...that's all

I love how you see the "captain's" shades go flying after he falls. :lol

I think those were the girl on the right's glasses.

What the hell happened there?

The "captain" kinda looked like he passes out or something. He just went right down. :lol

I think those were the girl on the right's glasses.

What the hell happened there?

The "captain" kinda looked like he passes out or something. He just went right down. :lol

Some of those speed boats can turn at the drop of a hat and if your not ready..POW!...A little rogue wave or even scraping a reef/rock/something while turning will do it too...that captain wasnt holding on to anything that's why he got thrown to the floor

Last edited:

Some of those speed boats can turn at the drop of a hat and if your not ready..POW!...A little rogue wave or even hitting a reef/rock while turning will do it too

No thank you! I'll stay on land then! :lol

The "captain" may've gotten two girls on top of him though. :yess:

Back