The next Batman movie approach.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the death of Miss Dawes, there is a female void that has to be filled. That is why I have a feeling that Catwoman will be in Bats 3. Selina Kyle/Catwoman has been a love interest in the Batman comics for years. Also there was that comment by Lucius Fox, when asked if the new suit would fend off dogs, Lucius added, "and cats". Granted, Catwoman is not as menacing a foe as the Joker, but who is? Riddler? Nolan has already stated he would never consider Pengin as a villian. There's only one Batman villian that's in a league with Joker, and that would be Ra's Al Ghul. They could bring in Talia (Ra's Al Ghul's daughter) as the love interest. With his famous Lazarus Pits, Ra's is imortal which could cover his rise from the grave, although we never did see his dead body in BB. Granted this is all speculation, but it is fun.

What was a secondary to BB but central to TDK was Gotham itself as a character and ultimately the protagonist. It is Gotham that Ra's sets out to destroy and it is all of Gotham that the Joker wants to throw into chaos. The beginning of TDK shows Gotham starting to come into the light - street crime is down thanks to Batman and organized crime is in the spotlight thanks to Dent.

But by the end of TDK Batman is a villain and Dent is dead. It's 1 step forward and 2 steps back. And if the escalation continues (how do you escalate from Joker?) then it's going to have to be some serious bad guy.

I know the script says that Two-face is dead, but he is perfect to be the villain for 3. Where once Dent wanted to bring Gotham into the light, now he would want to drive it into the dark - he knows the crime lords intimately and could organize them into something very formidable. Other rogues could make appearances in slightly reimagined forms, Riddler and Penguin would be good crime lieutenants, Killer Croc and Bane as muscle, etc. Selina could come in as a love interest, but not the main villain.

I'm not advocating a villian convention like Batman & Robin, but something well thought out with some villains as secondary characters could work. How do you up the stakes from the Joker?

Nolan's group have given us 2 fantastic movies, I don't see why they would let us down in the third.

we dont know what they were initially planning for the third one but im pretty sure it included the joker again. i wished they showed even more of his sadistic side by using more of the "the killing joke" or "no man's land" sadistic stuff. i really wanted to see the scenes in the killing joke where batman is attempting to help the joker recover from his madness in a third movie but now that hope is gone. im all for the selina kyle intro but i would not want to see a second masked character in a nolan movie, but then again if the third movie is the last then it would be dumb just to have her as a regular love interest without a mask. I would say the best candidate seems like the riddler to tell you the truth. Another al ghul related plot seems redundant and a bane seems too comic like for this batman representation. This batman seems more about a moral and mental struggle with the villain. Bane was pretty smart in Knightfall but he represents physical struggle.

The biggest thing that surprised me about TDK was the fact that Two Face was in it. From everything I had read going into it, I was under the impression that only Harvey Dent would be in TDK.. and that his accident would happen almost at the end of the film and the Two Face reveal would be the last scene setting up Two Face as the villain for the 3rd film. So I was shocked to see an entire story arch for him in TDK. Bane as a roided up ex-Pro Wrestler or Killer Croc as a disfigured, circus freak could both work in Nolan's realistic vision of Batman imo.

I think with a few strategically placed computer rips of old footage of Heath from TDK. They could have the Joker in the 3rd film, in a cell in Arkham. Possibly a way of bringing in a Harley Quinn type, ex psychologist becomes Joker fanatic, orchestrating the Joker's brand of chaos wjile he's locked up. You would still need a main baddie for the film though, and while I like Two Face coming back there are so many that could be used.
Dr. Hugo Strange
Killer Moth
Killer Croc
Deadshot
Hush
Mad Hatter
Ventriloquist
etc.
but I think the best story line would be the same one used in the John Byrne book the Untold Legend of the Batman from the early 80's, where Batman finds out his parents murder was actually a hit by mobster Lew Moxon.
Taken from Wikipedia:
Sometime prior to their murder, Dr. Thomas Wayne and his wife attend a costume party - to which Dr. Wayne wears a bat-like costume. Wayne is taken from the party, by gun-point, to meet racketeer and bank robber Lew Moxon. Moxon orders Dr. Wayne to remove a bullet from his shoulder. Wayne carries out the operation before overpowering Moxon and his men.

Moxon is arrested and sentenced to 10 years for armed robbery. As he is taken away he swears revenge on Thomas Wayne. Ten years later, a free Moxon informs Thomas Wayne that he will get someone else to extract that revenge (that someone being Joe Chill). It is suggested that Chill was told to leave young Bruce alive so as to provide an alibi for Moxon.

Years later Batman learns of Moxon's involvement in the murder of his parents, by which time Moxon is operating a Billboard blimp business. Batman's first attempt to convict Moxon for the murder of his parents fails, as Moxon is now suffering from amnesia and is able to pass a lie detector test. Batman determines that Moxon's blimp business must be a cover for illegal activities and continues to trail the gangster. Eventually, after uncovering Moxon's illegal activities, Batman confronts the criminal while wearing his father's costume (his own had been ripped during an earlier fight). On seeing Dr. Wayne's costume Moxon suddenly remembers what he had done. Thinking Batman was actually Thomas Wayne's ghost, Moxon panics and runs out into the street, where he is hit by a truck and killed.
UntoldLegend1.jpg

it maybe would have worked in the first movie but the situation is too complex right now in gotham for wayne to focus on his personal problems

Agreed. For better or worse, people expect a well known villain as the main protaganist now. A generic mobster will not suffice.

I think it's entirely possible for Dent to return in a third film. I was not under the specific impression on my first viewing that Dent died once he fell out of the building ... and he doesn't really have to.

The city knows Dent is dead. They don't know about Two Face or that he even existed. If Two Face is alive he could have been sent to Arkham with his records sealed as to his true identity and it would further the city cover up of his existence since he would be in some type of solitary/max security confinement.

So I think there is a way to bring Dent back for a third film - not saying it's the perfect idea, but it could be done.

yeah i thought so too but i think i read an article a couple weeks ago confirming that dent was dead and not coming back. i really thought dent would have been good enough to introduce only and make the lead villain in 3. oh well, as long as spiderman 3 happens again and please all you fanboys, that movie was not good just average and i dont care if its not the director's fault.

I think it's entirely possible for Dent to return in a third film. I was not under the specific impression on my first viewing that Dent died once he fell out of the building ... and he doesn't really have to.

The city knows Dent is dead. They don't know about Two Face or that he even existed. If Two Face is alive he could have been sent to Arkham with his records sealed as to his true identity and it would further the city cover up of his existence since he would be in some type of solitary/max security confinement.

So I think there is a way to bring Dent back for a third film - not saying it's the perfect idea, but it could be done.

I read someplace that the third movie was going to start with the trial of Joker. That doesn't look possible now. I don't think even the best CG artist could create a beliveable Joker. The first time I saw TDK I was the only one in the group that thought Two Face died. So you could be right.

face it people... Dent's stroy is told... the Joker's story is told... Chris Nowlan, if he decides to make a third, is not going to explore completed story arcs... this isn't Prison Break. Nowlan is a forward thinking filmmaker that will continue to leave his mark pushing the envelope, not relicking it.

I find the one thing about TDK is that it makes a continuation of the story very difficult. Nolan has apparently killed Two Face off. (Although they brought Gordon back from the "dead".) If they have then I think they have made a mistake. Arron Eckhart was great and the look was brilliant I thought. The Joker must surely be off limits now? Heath Ledger owned the part in TDK and I wonder if recasting would almost automatically cause criticisms and unfavourable comparisions being made between Ledger and the new actor in the role. Ledger's death was a tragic thing and I would be very disappointed if Nolan recast him. Maybe it is best to leave the Joker for the vision of the next director and the next run of films.

The way forward, I think, would be to have Black Mask introduced as the next big crime lord. He is a nasty enough piece of work. Cameos could be a good way to include more extreme bad guys. The idea of The Penguin being a British arms dealer was good. Why not a cameo? Killer Croc as an enforcer? Firefly as an arsonist working for the mob?

I am not too worried about Batman redeeming himself in the public eye as it adds to his heroic nature. The public hate him and view him as a homicidal vigilante but he still sets out to do right. It strengthens the relationship between he and Gordon and it makes him a figure of fear again. (Word in Gotham now is that he WILL take lives in his quest for justice. I thought it was a really clever move on the team's part to re-inforce Batman in this manner.)

Someone mentioned more use of Batman's detective skills being made. I quite agree. With this in mind, perhaps a serial killer type thriller would be good. Mr Zsasz??

I am sure whatever they decide it will be good. I just hope WB don't pressure on them to make a piece of crap just to try and beat box office records.

Maybe Nolan will decline the offer to make a third?? Who knows?

I wouldn't think Nolan would bow to pressure to make a third one for the sake of it. Look what happened to Joel Schumachers reputation after Batman and Robin.

Maybe the movie doesn't need a major villain as a main driving force. Batman's now seen as a villain in the eyes of the law and citizens. Why not use something along the lines of the Anti-Bat task force seen in Dark Knight Returns. TDK has shown that he's easily able to take down the Special Forces team, so why not something specifically designed to hunt the Dark Knight.
This could give Gary Oldman's fantastic Gordon more screen time as well with his conflict of interests between knowing he's innocent and to his duty.

Would be good to see some more development given to both Gordon, Alfred and if they can Lucius. Still no guarantee that he quit as Bruce kept his word and the machine destroyed itself

Man.. TDK is already over $500 million. If I was Chris Nolan I'd quit while I was ahead. Anyone honestly think a 3rd film could top let alone come near the financial AND critical success of TDK!?

Is great news, although what annoyed me is here in the UK it's been outgrossed by Mamma Mia! it's like a bad joke. Just shows the majority of people in the UK have no taste in films or music!

Man.. TDK is already over $500 million. If I was Chris Nolan I'd quit while I was ahead. Anyone honestly think a 3rd film could top let alone come near the financial AND critical success of TDK!?

No it will never, because the only reason TDK did so well was because of ledgers DEATH...if he hadnt of died then it prolly would of done about as good as Batman Begins..I mean you had 90% of girls going to see it just because he died. Next time a girl goes "omg TDK was so amazing. Ledger did so amazing." Ask them how they liked BB. 10 bucks they never saw it, and if they did it was after TDK

No it will never, because the only reason TDK did so well was because of ledgers DEATH...if he hadnt of died then it prolly would of done about as good as Batman Begins..I mean you had 90% of girls going to see it just because he died. Next time a girl goes "omg TDK was so amazing. Ledger did so amazing." Ask them how they liked BB. 10 bucks they never saw it, and if they did it was after TDK

Must admit there has been a suprising amount of female love for TDK but all of it is aimed at the Joker. It's true in a sad way nothing does wonders for your career like dieing especially if it's dieing young. At least it was a performance worthy of the adulation though.

Back