The Medicom Alien review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's different schools of thought on how to make Alien collectibles. For the most part, companies try to make the piece represent as it was seen on screen, others do try to make the details accurrate to the film costume(s). To do that isn't inaccurrate, just means you'd have to light the piece like the film to get the same effect. Medicom's opted to make their figure look as the costume would appear on display in a museum, not how the creature appeared on film.

I know different strokes...blah blah...but i'm just going to say....thats silly.

Like I said, wheres my Scott, and Giger! :lol

Looks good, but knowing Medicom's quality it will probably fall apart after a while. Such a shame too.

I'll wait for Hot Toys' version

I'm sure for many it'll seem silly, but for ALIEN hardcores, which $170 for this figure will filter down to, it'll be like owning a mini replica of Giger's work, which there aren't many piece of so it's a rare treat, a purer look at the xenomorph before lighting and KY effects have altered how it appears.

great review. this figure is a no-go for me.
far too expensive for what you get. too small for my collection. lousy paint apps. barely any substantial articulation.

I'm sure for many it'll seem silly, but for ALIEN hardcores, which $170 for this figure will filter down to, it'll be like owning a mini replica of Giger's work, which there aren't many piece of so it's a rare treat, a purer look at the xenomorph before lighting and KY effects have altered how it appears.

I was looking for ways of describing what it feels like to have this figure in hand and you have nailed it perfectly.

You actually do feel like you're holding a mini-dude in a suit.
My 5 year-old just loved it, BTW. Not that he'll get to play much with it...

But, back to the figure, it's just a wonderful (albeit very expensive) toy. This one truly does have to be seen in person to fully appreciate it, warts and all.

Looks great abake! :monkey5
... and thanks a lot for the review!

I was planning to hold out on this one and get the HT version instead. However, I've decided that I need this fig. I'll probably get both now.:eek:
Where did you get yours again?:naughty

Hey Abake, top review.

Once again I snapped like a whore's Knicker elastic and pre-ordered this from Play for £119.00!! Why you may ask as I have been a vocal detractor of this figure? I'm an Alien fan and I know that if I don't get it I'll regret it. And it's grown on me quite a bit after seeing in-hand pics. True it's not a patch on Kyle's work on the NECA but I c a n n o t r e s i s t:rotfl

I shamefully caved in an pre-ordered mine a long time ago at yesasia... in my defense the figure was selling out on all the japanese stores and there was no word that it would be carried by any stores over here!
Anyway, yeasia accepts no cancellations, so I think I got mine at the highest possible price!

I think most online shops still have it up for pre-order. I'd try cornerstore or DSC, I've shopped at both with great service and prices.

Excellent review and great pics btw. I will pass on this fig but i do like it warts n all. Its the size issue with Medicom again for me personally, if it wasn't id grab it asap.

Excellent review and great pics btw. I will pass on this fig but i do like it warts n all. Its the size issue with Medicom again for me personally, if it wasn't id grab it asap.

Thanks dude!
I tried to take the pics as straightforward as possible... no moody lighting, no photoshop effects, so that the figure could be seen as nearly as in hand as possible. Just the good old light of the sun! :D

I did tweak sharpness and contrast a bit to bring out the detail better, but that was it.

Any of you pro painters know if some Testors Dulcote can be sprayed on this to keep the paint from chipping? Or would it harm the plastic?

Back