The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched the latest episode! Overall it was a solid entry, there hasn't been a bad one yet. However there was something weird about the entire episode to me, points where it almost felt like a fan film just in the setting and how it was shot. Not to mention pudgy Boba. Did anybody else get that vibe?

Just watched the latest episode! Overall it was a solid entry, there hasn't been a bad one yet. However there was something weird about the entire episode to me, points where it almost felt like a fan film just in the setting and how it was shot. Not to mention pudgy Boba. Did anybody else get that vibe?

Yes. A few of us actually. Looks like the show had weird budget constraints again. And some of the actors are always shaky.

there was something weird about the entire episode to me, points where it almost felt like a fan film just in the setting and how it was shot. Not to mention pudgy Boba. Did anybody else get that vibe?

It was always going to feel different with RR directing.

Pudgy - he was wearing his armour on top of his robes. Plus he's older so more naturally pudgy.

I think part of it is that so much of this new Fett is associated with TM's face and voice that I can't help but see him as "Jango Reborn" as opposed to "Boba Reborn." I just didn't feel like I was watching an OT character cut loose at all.

I wanted to love this, I really did. And I don't want to spoil anyone's fun who is loving this. Like I said we'll see how I feel after watching it again.

Tears from an extreme PT hater, delicious :).

Agreed 100%. ROTJ failed to have him live up to his reputation, the PT failed, and now he were are with joke cracking, promise keeping, "let's find a diplomatic solution to our dilemma" Fett. Good lord. I so wanted his portrayal in this show to just lock in the PT as canon once and for all and that just didn't happen.

Yep. Cobb hit the vehicle he was aiming at. Let that sink in.

Can you imagine OT Fett saying any of Mando Fett's lines? No way. OT Fett would have attacked Mando without a word, taken back his armor, and hand delivered the kid to Gideon for that awesome reward. But no Ahsoka Tano is a cold blooded badass who breaks her promise to train Grogu while Boba Fett is all about diplomacy and honor. What the hell.

And he had access to Slave I all this time but instead willingly chose to wander the wastes of Tatooine in a dress in for five years?

Soo Boba Fett is the new Luke Skywalkwer(TLJ)?
He cant mature with age, he only can be the one liner he was in the OT? Jango did more to the Badass reputation in the PT than Boba ever did in the OT

I feel that the show is trying to convey that as Din?s attachment towards BY grows stronger it effectively diminishes his ability to act cool and rationally when his safety is threatened. Early season 1 Din would have picked that jet pack up and I don?t know whether he would have stopped Boba taking the shot in Slave 1, deny the empire their prize even if a risk to the child?s health.

He acts like an irrational parent now. Running straight towards BY when the empire land. Hovering around him unsure what to do whilst the others are fighting the empire.

Khev and AJP, another aspect that you are perhaps not considering is that Boba?s experience in the Sarlaac changed him. He used to be sure of himself and his place in the galaxy but now he is not. Didn?t those Disney books say that Boba allowed Vanth to keep anduse his armour because he thought he would use it for a better purpose than him or something.

I think part of it is that so much of this new Fett is associated with TM's face and voice that I can't help but see him as "Jango Reborn" as opposed to "Boba Reborn." I just didn't feel like I was watching an OT character cut loose at all.

I wanted to love this, I really did. And I don't want to spoil anyone's fun who is loving this. Like I said we'll see how I feel after watching it again.

Hmm you kind of need to blame the PT for this, not Mando. We all knew he?d look and sound like his father since he?s a clone [emoji1745]

I feel that the show is trying to convey that as Din?s attachment towards BY grows stronger it effectively diminishes his ability to act cool and rationally when his safety is threatened. Early season 1 Din would have picked that jet pack up and I don?t know whether he would have stopped Boba taking the shot in Slave 1, deny the empire their prize even if a risk to the child?s health.

He acts like an irrational parent now. Running straight towards BY when the empire land. Hovering around him unsure what to do whilst the others are fighting the empire.

Khev and AJP, another aspect that you are perhaps not considering is that Boba?s experience in the Sarlaac changed him. He used to be sure of himself and his place in the galaxy but now he is not. Didn?t those Disney books say that Boba allowed Vanth to keep anduse his armour because he thought he would use it for a better purpose than him or something.

Exactly, this show wants to show us that even underneath his near-invincible suit of armour, he's just a man and not some emotionless murder robot. They do a great job and conveying his thoughts and emotions solely through his voice and body language since we can't see his face.

Every time the kid is in danger he starts panicking and gets distressed, you see this when the big sea create eats the child and he's basically begging Bo-Katan and the Nite Owls to go save him and his relief when the child is returned to him.

Exactly, this show wants to show us that even underneath his near-invincible suit of armour, he's just a man and not some emotionless murder robot. They do a great job and conveying his thoughts and emotions solely through his voice and body language since we can't see his face.

Every time the kid is in danger he starts panicking and gets distressed, you see this when the big sea create eats the child and he's basically begging Bo-Katan and the Nite Owls to go save him and his relief when the child is returned to him.

Well, he's got serious issues. I'm not sure if the show is just heavy-handed or they mean for him to come off as an emotional wreck.

To be fair he lost his parents in a violent war crime, got raised by a cult to be a killer, and hasn't had face-to-face contact with another sentient for decades.

Din is damaged goods by any definition, so I guess the emotional weight of The Brat is too much to bear.

Dude went from hating droids to choking up when IG decided to self-destruct. He's got some attachment issues.

Well, he's got serious issues. I'm not sure if the show is just heavy-handed or they mean for him to come off as an emotional wreck.

To be fair he lost his parents in a violent war crime, got raised by a cult to be a killer, and hasn't had face-to-face contact with another sentient for decades.

Din is damaged goods by any definition, so I guess the emotional weight of The Brat is too much to bear.

Dude went from hating droids to choking up when IG decided to self-destruct. He's got some attachment issues.

And he wouldn't be an interesting or compelling character if he was just an emotionless killer with no flaws whatsoever. Which some people seem to want him to be.

And he wouldn't be an interesting or compelling character if he was just an emotionless killer with no flaws whatsoever. Which some people seem to want him to be.

I agree that he's far more interesting than if he were played as an adolescent power fantasy, but I do think he's written with some jarring inconsistencies. A critique, not a condemnation. This show is at least as flawed as the OT, but it gets by on heart and charm, just like the OT.

To be fair, this crippling anxiety he's developing around Grogu that renders him incompetent is becoming consistent. I just don't know if that's what they're going for, or if it's just a lazy convenience to show off the skills of other characters.

Judging from these comments it seems impossible to do something ?everyone? likes. I guess that Mando is what gets closest to something most people like... but some people wants a show about a ?killer robot? and some about ?an emotional wreck?. I think it strikes a balance and does it really well. But it?s pretty clear that they can?t and shouldn?t please everyone [emoji1745]

Judging from these comments it seems impossible to do something ?everyone? likes. I guess that Mando is what gets closest to something most people like... but some people wants a show about a ?killer robot? and some about ?an emotional wreck?. I think it strikes a balance and does it really well. But it?s pretty clear that they can?t and shouldn?t please everyone [emoji1745]

Most creative work falls apart when you try to please everyone.

I think one of the reasons this show works, is that they're committed to the story they're telling and take risks that actually pay off.

I notice when things they try fall flat or simply don't resonate with me, but overall the show's got heart.

It's becoming clear to me that when the final crisis comes, it's Grogu that will cause Din to remove his helmet and abandon his fanatical cult upbringing.

Don't underestimate the Cute.

Most creative work falls apart when you try to please everyone.

I think one of the reasons this show works, is that they're committed to the story they're telling and take risks that actually pay off.

I notice when things they try fall flat or simply don't resonate with me, but overall the show's got heart.

It's becoming clear to me that when the final crisis comes, it's Grogu that will cause Din to remove his helmet and abandon his fanatical cult upbringing.

Don't underestimate the Cute.

Yes. I think that he?ll start removing it when his alone with Grogu... a baby needs eye contact. I know it may sound too emotional for some. But hey, it?s true. And I think that eventually Dins feelings for Grogu will be more important than ?the way?.

Yes. I think that he?ll start removing it when his alone with Grogu... a baby needs eye contact. I know it may sound too emotional for some. But hey, it?s true. And I think that eventually Dins feelings for Grogu will be more important than ?the way?.

Grogu stares at him when he lifts his helmet to drink soup, which is already bending the rules near as I can tell. And he's losing his stoicism; the timing was obvious but Grogu's simplest acts and gestures make him laugh. He's in love and that helmet is coming off so he can get him some Grogu snuggles.

Dead or alive. :horror

Thought I read that Pedro Pascal was only doing voice work for season 3 and beyond? He won't be physically on set in the suit.

Thought I read that Pedro Pascal was only doing voice work for season 3 and beyond? He won't be physically on set in the suit.

Rumours, rumours, rumours. Same as certain someone saying he quit half way through this season and most of the season wouldn't even follow Mando.

I think another (more likely) possibility is that he was severely injured from his time in/escape from the Sarlaac pit and needed time to recover. It would explain his not going to get his armor from Cobb (that and not knowing Cobb had it) as well as not immediately leaving in the Slave I. Given that the Jawas had acquired his armor at some point, I think it's a safe assumption that they or someone else had either stripped the ship for parts or claimed it as their own, so that would have also required his time and attention.

I also don't think it's that unbelievable (or inconsistent with his OT character) that he would negotiate with Mando instead of coming out guns blazing. There's more to bounty hunting than being a badass in battle (tracking, collecting intel, developing informants, etc.), so showing him as more than a one-dimensional character was welcome. And there's also the fact that he would recognize that Mando in full beskar had the advantage, so he was less likely to achieve his objective through conflict.

I agree that he's far more interesting than if he were played as an adolescent power fantasy, but I do think he's written with some jarring inconsistencies. A critique, not a condemnation. This show is at least as flawed as the OT, but it gets by on heart and charm, just like the OT.

To be fair, this crippling anxiety he's developing around Grogu that renders him incompetent is becoming consistent. I just don't know if that's what they're going for, or if it's just a lazy convenience to show off the skills of other characters.

As far as his forgetting to retrieve his jetpack, that was definitely a lazy convenience in Favreau's script. I could buy his panicking and forgetting it the first time he returned to Grogu, but not for the entire episode thereafter. He seemed pretty cool & confident while dispatching stormtroopers alongside Fennec Shand.

Back