The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabukiman

Greatest Person Ever
Reaction score
Just announced for 3DS on Nintendo Direct. This is really happening. :thud:

Last edited:
Re: A Link to the Past 2: Electric Boogaloo

Remake I'm guessing. **** yeah. My all time favorite LoZ. :rock

528254_445898618827930_1017595979_n.jpg

It seems like it's going to rely a lot on the 3D... Which is good and bad. I kind of didn't like Super Mario 3D Land because of the "need" for the 3D (It hurts my eyes if I play too long, even on the lowest 3D settings). I admit it was VERY well done, and I'll applaud Nintendo if they make it work for this newest Zelda game... but sadly, I prefer my games to be 2D :thud:

As long as it takes place on the ground and not in the air, ocean, or on a train then I'm fine.

Here's some impressions from IGN

It’s not every day a sequel gets announced for one of the greatest games of all time. Luckily for us - yesterday was just such a day. During the latest Nintendo Direct broadcast, the Big N blew our minds open by announcing a true successor to SNES masterpiece The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

What’s more… I actually got to play it.

Set in the same Hyrule as the original ALTTP, the game adeptly straddles the line between lovingly accurate homage and innovative sequel. I’ll get to the new additions momentarily, but it’s worth noting that as someone who’s played Link’s SNES adventure more times than I care to admit, I was still amazed by how similar this new one felt to that original experience. The graphics have been updated, the puzzles are brand new and Link has a few new tricks up his sleeve - but that unmistakable feeling the original game offered is still there in spades, and it’s been sorely missed.

While this as-of-yet untitled A Link to the Past successor replaces the 16-bit designs of old for a fully three-dimensional world, the brightly colored graphics truly capture the spirit of Hyrule’s past. It’s as though the 2D sprites from the original game were inflated into the third dimension, their charm and vibrant personality well-preserved, merely transposed into the modern era. Even the goofy-looking Link of old makes a return, replacing the chibi cutie or certified pretty boy of recent years with a look that harkens back to his Hobbit-like origins (albeit this time with the more familiar blonde locks replacing his formerly pink ‘do).

The demo had me wandering through a 3D dungeon, swiping at Stalfos and dodging flying tiles. Once I filled up Link’s hearts, I was even able to shoot sword beams at oncoming enemies. What I played effortlessly embodied the classic feel and tight, traditional gameplay of its predecessor, while also managing to feel brand new. Activities Link and I have engaged in for years, like scaling the ascending floors of a dungeon, took on new life thanks to the 3DS system’s stereoscopic 3D. New innovations like the mechanic that allows you to become a painting and move along walls are cleverly implemented, lending a new perspective to the otherwise topdown adventure, as well as a relative cornucopia of exploration possibility.

The game also made changes to Link’s magic bar, which now appears to function as something of a stamina bar as well, replenishing as time passes and depleting not only when Link slides around walls as a painting, but also when he uses his hammer. It remains to be seen how this mechanic will be used in the final version of the game, but for the demo it offered a fitting balance - preventing players from overusing their magic ability without making it so limited as to discourage exploration.

All in all, what I played and saw yesterday was very much A Link to the Past, in all its glory. As I slayed a reborn and for some reason mossy-looking Moldorm at the level’s conclusion, it became all too apparent that this game is set to offer everything I wanted from Zelda’s 3DS debut. It’s an extension of that same world and a continuation of that top-down, button-driven gameplay we haven’t seen from Hyrule in far too long. It’s a true successor to what IGN deemed the greatest SNES game of all time. But don’t let the legacy fool you - this game borrows only the address and brilliant foundation of the original. It is a new experience, and one well worth getting hyped for.

The world and gameplay of A Link to the Past are back - it’s really happening, and so far this sequel is poised to impress. Holiday 2013 can’t come soon enough.

So excited for this. Probably my most anticipated of the year. The first one is my 2nd favorite game of all time.

I dont like when they announce another version of the big 3 they act like there giving the world like a gift from god. There just milking the teet a bit more off nintendos cash cows, dont have to act so high and mighty for reimaging an old classic

I dont like when they announce another version of the big 3 they act like there giving the world like a gift from god. There just milking the teet a bit more off nintendos cash cows, dont have to act so high and mighty for reimaging an old classic

but they are.... seriously if done right they can be but when done wrong it disappoints... but any old IP is a cash cow all and i mean all game companies do it, but a new IP from the big N would be nice...

Back