The Joker Life Size Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the view must be pretty sweet from up there on your high horse. :lol

First off, let's drop the "apples-to-oranges", shall we?
Just because someone does something comparable for a lower price point, it doesn't establish an "industry standard" everyone must follow; especially when there's plenty of factors that determine an item's pricing, not the least of which - in this case - would be PCS paying considerably less for the 'Mortal Kombat' license than Sideshow paid for the DC Universe.
From a licensing and marketing standpoint, it's not even a case of "differing area codes". We're talking worlds apart here.
By your logic, Porsche needs to stop being an uppity pricemongerer because Toyota can make a Prius with four tires, a frame and an engine as well and just look what they charge for it! :slap

Now then, in terms of being the "type of customer SS is fishing for", I'm going to gloss over the 'sucker' inference you're getting at with that condescending little tone of yours and say, damn right, I am the type of customer SS wants.

Y'know why that is?

I'm the "type" of customer who buys from Sideshow because - and pay close attention here because this is the important part - I LIKE WHAT I SEE.

- Got the life-size Batman bust. Why? 'Cause it's friggin' Batman. No acrylic eyes and I could not care less.

- Got the Superman life-size bust. Why? 'Cause it's friggin' Superman. No acrylic eyes and I could not care less.

- Pre-ordered the Green Lantern bust when it went live. Why? 'Cause it's friggin' Green Lantern. No acrylic eyes and I could not care less.

Seeing a pattern? I know it's kinda subtle and I'm trying hard not to be deliberately vague here. :lol

Now the Joker's coming in at $20 higher than Bats and Supes were, was supposed to have acrylic eyes and now doesn't. So what? As I said earlier, I tried to find a %#$@ to give over it and just couldn't.

Why?

'Cause it's the friggin' Joker.

By all means, feel free to proceed full steam ahead with your moral fury and righteous indignation but to pitch quite the hissy-fit over such a trivial part of the whole (aka 'cutting off the 'eyes' to spite the face') seems utterly absurd to me; especially in light of what'd happen if whatever was holding those eyes in place failed and you, quite literally, had to 'bust' (Hyuk!) this thing open just to retrieve and repair.

Oh, and please let's not break out the "for the money we pay, I expect..." trope. My money's just as green as everyone else's and it's not about 'settling'. It's about appreciating art as a whole and not nitpicking the tinier, irrelevant things to the point of making tiny veins throb on the side of your head.

I will thank you, however. For every one of you guys who goes ballistic over something like this ("That's it, I'm cancelling!!"), the ES goes down and, as a collector, it just turns into pure win for me should I need to pursue the secondary market. (With only 250 made, it's absolutely insane what I could get for my DF life-size Alex Ross Iron Man bust. Koo-koopants prices. :panic: )

So, I'll get the Joker when he's released and display him proudly next to Batman and I can guarantee you that anyone who comes over and sees them will never say "Y'know what would make that Joker look better? Acrylic eyes, dude".

(No, for me, the conversation always starts "You paid how much?!" :horror)

It's up to u to buy or not bro.

The only thing we hate with sideshow is inconsistencies day to day. And sooner or later they gonna make us feel that it is right to spend 600 for a piece of plastic bust with no face on it.. and if they want to call that bust a human or monkey and they make us believe that..then u r on the highway to hell..

I'm the "type" of customer who buys from Sideshow because - and pay close attention here because this is the important part - I LIKE WHAT I SEE.

I will thank you, however. For every one of you guys who goes ballistic over something like this ("That's it, I'm cancelling!!"), the ES goes down and, as a collector, it just turns into pure win for me should I need to pursue the secondary market. (With only 250 made, it's absolutely insane what I could get for my DF life-size Alex Ross Iron Man bust. Koo-koopants prices. :panic: )

1. How can you like what you see....when you haven't seen it yet? What they show you on the website or at SDCC is an approximation of what you might get. This Joker bust just serves to illustrate that point. You know what's cool? Sideshow won't email you and tell you that such a drastic change (the eyes are a big focus point on this piece) happened as a courtesy if you still want to keep your order. Nope. You gotta come to forums and find out. :lol

2. Low orders don't necessarily mean low ES. You should know by now that if they want to make a crap load of anything they will do just that. Then, those same items will sit there with Daredevil, Captain America, Berserker and who knows how many more overproduced busts and items they have in their Indiana Jones sized warehouse. :cuckoo:

2. Low orders don't necessarily mean low ES. You should know by now that if they want to make a crap load of anything they will do just that. Then, those same items will sit there with Daredevil, Captain America, Berserker and who knows how many more overproduced busts and items they have in their Indiana Jones sized warehouse. :cuckoo:

But I like my Captain America life-size bust. :dunno

1. How can you like what you see....when you haven't seen it yet? What they show you on the website or at SDCC is an approximation of what you might get.

Funniest case of semantics I've seen in a long, damn time.... :rotfl

"At the Farmer's Market with my so-called girlfriend.
She hands me her cellphone, says it's my dad.
Man, dis ain't my dad! Dis is a cellphone!
I took it... and threw it on the GROUND!!"

:panic:

Semantics it may be, but you know I ain't lying.

And as I've basically said for a couple of days now, "so what"?

Every "approximation" I've ever placed an order based off of has arrived to within 95-100% of my expectations.

This'll be no different. :yess:

"Molehill, I declare thee to be a MOUNTAIN!!" :gah:

And sooner or later they gonna make us feel that it is right to spend 600 for a piece of plastic bust with no face on it.. and if they want to call that bust a human or monkey and they make us believe that..then u r on the highway to hell..

Hyperbole much?

I own the superman and batman busts and have the blue batman on order.

I cancelled joker because the acrylic eyes were a big deal to me for this piece. Others will have a differing opinion and that is perfectly fine.

Having said all of that, Sideshow's action on the matter (or the lack thereof) is inexcusable in my opinion, regardless of what side of the fence you are on.

I mean I see both sides here. Can I do that? :lol anyway, I imagine in the end this will still look great. But I do believe that it's quite an important detail to pull out from under buyers feet. I do believe they add quite a sense of realism.

I own the superman and batman busts and have the blue batman on order.

I cancelled joker because the acrylic eyes were a big deal to me for this piece. Others will have a differing opinion and that is perfectly fine.

Having said all of that, Sideshow's action on the matter (or the lack thereof) is inexcusable in my opinion, regardless of what side of the fence you are on.

I have not pre-ordered this piece, and never planned on doing so, so I have no stake in this. But, I agree with you...the reason this bugs me is because it seems like they were just going to slip this change in there, and people generally wouldn't find out until they had it in hand.

I will give SS credit in that they sometimes add to a piece to make it better (Green Lantern and Galactus light up come to mind) and don't ask for more money. That said, they usually make a big deal about those kinds of changes...sending out mass emails with new pics showing off the shiny new features. But, when it's something like removing these acrylic eyes, they stay mighty tight lipped, like they are hoping no one will notice.

Maybe this bust still ends up looking awesome in the end, but that's not really the point. They advertised acrylic eyes then changed it without letting the people who pre-ordered know about the change. For some people, the eyes are a big deal.

Wow, the view must be pretty sweet from up there on your high horse. :lol

First off, let's drop the "apples-to-oranges", shall we?
Just because someone does something comparable for a lower price point, it doesn't establish an "industry standard" everyone must follow; especially when there's plenty of factors that determine an item's pricing, not the least of which - in this case - would be PCS paying considerably less for the 'Mortal Kombat' license than Sideshow paid for the DC Universe.
From a licensing and marketing standpoint, it's not even a case of "differing area codes". We're talking worlds apart here.
By your logic, Porsche needs to stop being an uppity pricemongerer because Toyota can make a Prius with four tires, a frame and an engine as well and just look what they charge for it! :slap

Now then, in terms of being the "type of customer SS is fishing for", I'm going to gloss over the 'sucker' inference you're getting at with that condescending little tone of yours and say, damn right, I am the type of customer SS wants.

Y'know why that is?

- Got the life-size Batman bust. Why? 'Cause it's friggin' Batman. No acrylic eyes and I could not care less.

- Got the Superman life-size bust. Why? 'Cause it's friggin' Superman. No acrylic eyes and I could not care less.

- Pre-ordered the Green Lantern bust when it went live. Why? 'Cause it's friggin' Green Lantern. No acrylic eyes and I could not care less.

Seeing a pattern? I know it's kinda subtle and I'm trying hard not to be deliberately vague here. :lol

Now the Joker's coming in at $20 higher than Bats and Supes were, was supposed to have acrylic eyes and now doesn't. So what? As I said earlier, I tried to find a %#$@ to give over it and just couldn't.

Why?

'Cause it's the friggin' Joker.

By all means, feel free to proceed full steam ahead with your moral fury and righteous indignation but to pitch quite the hissy-fit over such a trivial part of the whole (aka 'cutting off the 'eyes' to spite the face') seems utterly absurd to me; especially in light of what'd happen if whatever was holding those eyes in place failed and you, quite literally, had to 'bust' (Hyuk!) this thing open just to retrieve and repair.

Oh, and please let's not break out the "for the money we pay, I expect..." trope. My money's just as green as everyone else's and it's not about 'settling'. It's about appreciating art as a whole and not nitpicking the tinier, irrelevant things to the point of making tiny veins throb on the side of your head.

So, I'll get the Joker when he's released and display him proudly next to Batman and I can guarantee you that anyone who comes over and sees them will never say "Y'know what would make that Joker look better? Acrylic eyes, dude".

(No, for me, the conversation always starts "You paid how much?!" :horror)

Bet you've been waiting all day for my response.

A whole page just for me...I'm flattered :1-1:

Chris

It never said this will have acrylic eyes or teeth on the order page the day it went up. It only said acrylic eyes on the preview blog. I'm surprised people didn't even read the product page before they placed their order.

To anyone curious, this is the difference between acrylic eyes and painted/decal eyes.

D99CB9F8-5A03-4C27-BE9D-5EB112288766_zpslc5fo7zl.jpg

274A9A18-5CC6-4EA2-A5A8-707546952791_zpsq40jdbgo.jpg

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back