Premium Format The Joker ‘The Dark Knight’ - 1/4 Premium Format Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Dark Knight Joker

Isn't that the point of any business? :dunno they're not here to cater to anybody's personal want or needs

I never said for them to do that.

Sometimes Sideshow is different and "creative" just for the sake of it. They get in their own way of making the most appealing statue they can. Mixing 3 scenes from the movie in 1 statue and not pulling it off is not okay. They probably said "whatever", put a $500 tag on it and figured it will sell because its a Ledger Joker 1/4 scale statue. If you don't collect 1/4 figures then this is it for a high end 1/4 scale representation. It's a wasted opportunity and not understanding how important this release is for such a popular movie character. Just like Darkseid PF was for the DC line.

It's not so much that this is what they came up with as much as the fact that someone approved it. It shows a disconnect when compared to the effort seen in other statue producers. I am not saying other companies are better, but I will say that they seem to care and understand what people want more that Sideshow.

Of course, I don't expect any Sideshow superfans to see it that way and I respect that.

I have the Bale PF pre-ordered and am excited to get this one as well to complete the display. Hopefully SS has a 10% coupon down the road like with the Spidey PF. Not sure why there is so much hate for this, I think it looks awesome. Price is high but even at $500, being in the States there isn't a company better than SS making 1/4 scale statues. I can't justify paying more for some of the other options out there and won't go bigger than 1/4.

Just wondering how people know this is priced at 500.00 when the Pre order has not gone live officially.
Thanks

I don't collect 1/4 figures either, but the enterbay joker is looking like a very promising alternative. There is nothing iconic about the rendition, for a completely iconic character. Yes it looks okay (good to some bad to some averages to ok). The pose isn't iconic, the base isn't iconic, the detonator is not really iconic. This leaves the card, which with the pose, makes no sense. That's why I dislike the statue. It looks like they tried to do the hit me scene, by including the machine gun, but would he sit there squatting in the middle of the road, just flashing a small card? No. Even paired with its companion piece, batman is ready for a fight. Somewhat action pose, which is a polar opposite of this.

And don't get me wrong, I so badly wanted to buy this. I have the batman on order, and I could tolerate everything up until the price point.

Look in Sideshows blog.

I was only looking at the New Upcoming listing, but I do see in the Blog all the new photos showing Exclusive along with price of 499. Very cool
Thank you, :hi5:

I'm surprised that people are surprised by the hate. I've peeped in on the Supergirl PF thread and found people much more upset.

I'm surprised that people are surprised by the hate. I've peeped in on the Supergirl PF thread and found people much more upset.

I can understand the Supergirl PF complaints...that statue didn't look good to me from the start but I see nothing wrong with the Joker

I feel like everyone was waiting for this amazing EX and then boom, now everyone hates it because it's a detonator

I really like this statue, I've seen much, much worse

As far as the price, it's no surprise...

Dark Phoenix is $499.99, it's the new PF price...and she doesn't have mixed media

I can understand the Supergirl PF complaints...that statue didn't look good to me from the start but I see nothing wrong with the Joker

I feel like everyone was waiting for this amazing EX and then boom, now everyone hates it because it's a detonator

I really like this statue, I've seen much, much worse

As far as the price, it's no surprise...

Dark Phoenix is $499.99, it's the new PF price...and she doesn't have mixed media

Mixed media is cheaper than full sculpt. Which is why I'm not really keen to spend so much cash on statues mostly covered in fabric.
As for the rest, this post here sums it up. Althael nailed the point, this is a statue of a very iconic character and nothing in it seems to be as iconic as it should:

I don't collect 1/4 figures either, but the enterbay joker is looking like a very promising alternative. There is nothing iconic about the rendition, for a completely iconic character. Yes it looks okay (good to some bad to some averages to ok). The pose isn't iconic, the base isn't iconic, the detonator is not really iconic. This leaves the card, which with the pose, makes no sense. That's why I dislike the statue. It looks like they tried to do the hit me scene, by including the machine gun, but would he sit there squatting in the middle of the road, just flashing a small card? No. Even paired with its companion piece, batman is ready for a fight. Somewhat action pose, which is a polar opposite of this.

Mixed media is cheaper than full sculpt. Which is why I'm not really keen to spend so much cash on statues mostly covered in fabric.
As for the rest, this post here sums it up. Althael nailed the point, this is a statue of a very iconic character and nothing in it seems to be as iconic as it should:

A lot goes into the tailoring...don't think that because it's not fully sculpted it should be cheaper

And "iconic" is an opinion, I think the statue is great

^ Spot on Althael and Mule. Excellent point.

I'm more disappointed at the lost opportunity here to really make this into something special.

I apologize for my earlier voiced frustrations but to see an absolute beauty of a piece like Lobo (and his Ex) from last year - to now seeing something like this? Where's the same effort or better?

It feels like one step forward - two steps back. Especially with a character as inconic as Ledger Joker. Thats what has me so frustrated and disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

A lot goes into the tailoring...don't think that because it's not fully sculpted it should be cheaper

And "iconic" is an opinion, I think the statue is great

The part about mixed media is right from Jerry Macaluso. Fabric is made from patterns that are much easier to replicate, cheaper and easies to glue to the body. Full sculpt requires to break down the statue in more piece that need to be painted individually, then glued together, and it's much more subject to human error than applying fabric (it requires more QC, basically).
In statues, you pay more or less the amount of time required to get to the finished pieces of the production run. Fabric implies less time, hence it's cheaper. You can see this point proven by PCS classic Street Fighter line (mixed medi, cheaper) as opposed to the Ultra line (full sculpt, more expensive).

El Mule, I won't get into an argument with you...it will make no difference since you think you are right and want to be negative

A lot goes into every statue whether it's fully sculpted or mixed, if you don't like the statue, don't buy it

If you have no interest in this statue, don't post hate

The part about mixed media is right from Jerry Macaluso. Fabric is made from patterns that are much easier to replicate, cheaper and easies to glue to the body. Full sculpt requires to break down the statue in more piece that need to be painted individually, then glued together, and it's much more subject to human error than applying fabric (it requires more QC, basically).
In statues, you pay more or less the amount of time required to get to the finished pieces of the production run. Fabric implies less time, hence it's cheaper. You can see this point proven by PCS classic Street Fighter line (mixed medi, cheaper) as opposed to the Ultra line (full sculpt, more expensive).

The Ultra line are true 1/4 scale while the MM line is not. Also the Ultra line has more elaborate bases.

I never said you shouldn't like it, I just made that post since you made the comparison to the Phoenix PF.

Yeah, that's mostly how I feel about it. I've seen worse too, mostly from Sideshow, but that doesn't justify the lack of quality in this piece. It's not as bad as MoS PF, or Reeve PF, but that don't make it worth $500.

The point to all of this is that everyone has an opinion..
I really get tired of pages and pages of insults to Sideshow or the sculptor or the team that works on a particular piece

I understand not everyone will love this statue, say it and then stop
Don't be disrespectful to a company or a person because they didn't create the exact thing that you wanted

Even paired with its companion piece, batman is ready for a fight. Somewhat action pose, which is a polar opposite of this.

Isnt that the point of Batman and Joker, opposites of each other? Maybe the pose does fit.

They are passionate about the character. As ledgers joker the the topic here, some people are Very passionate about it. While I do agree with you that absolutely trashing the artists and such is not the right approach (I haven't actually seen much of this compared to supergirl), you also have to appreciate that these passionate people have been waiting YEARS for this piece to be released. Venting their disappointment after a let down 2.5 years in the making (if not longer, or shorter) is normal. It doesn't meet a lot of expectations, because the expectations it would have to meet are so high. Rightfully so, evidenced by what I said earlier about the character being iconic. It being 'exactly' what they wanted isn't the complaint. The complaint is the fact it's 'nothing' compared to what they wanted, and these two ideas are vastly different.

Back