The Hunger Games

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just basing my comments on what the author of the article is using as evidence that these people should have known she was black and that's all he provides.

The article also shows the tweets and several of them say that they read the book but why is she black. Its like they read it but didn't pay a bit of attention and that's something I think the author was trying to get across.

The article also shows the tweets and several of them say that they read the book but why is she black. Its like they read it but didn't pay a bit of attention and that's something I think the author was trying to get across.

What's more shocking is that they seem genuinely dissappointed that's she's black. I've never read the books myself but from what I understand is that they're written for ages 10-20 so I can understand some of the younger kids not picking up on the Apartheid sounding references you and Dave mention and using only the dark skin description, but to be dissappointed after you find out? That's sad. Especially in a generation younger than my own.

judging by their grammar I doubt they read the books, or any book in a while for that matter :lol

Wow. Some of these reactions are really pathetic. I can imagine being mildly disappointed if a character looked different than you imagined but to say it ruined the movie is just ridiculous.

I thought the actress playing Rue was adorable. I instantly liked her as soon as she entered the screen and I felt really sad when she died.

Yeah she was my favorite character in the film.

What's more shocking is that they seem genuinely disappointed that's she's black. I've never read the books myself but from what I understand is that they're written for ages 10-20 so I can understand some of the younger kids not picking up on the Apartheid sounding references you and Dave mention and using only the dark skin description, but to be disappointed after you find out? That's sad. Especially in a generation younger than my own.

It is shocking that they would be surprised but some people are just clueless I guess. I agree with you that it is quite disappointing that this thinking by people continues to keep going.

judging by their grammar I doubt they read the books, or any book in a while for that matter :lol

Well, it is Twitter and with only 140 characters sometimes its rough but I agree with you all the same.

Seeing as I just passed her first apperance on my 2nd go around Rue is described as "She has bright, dark eyes and satiny brown skin and stands tilted upon her toes." I pictured black... my wife pictured Asian. Go figure.

HfNXH.png

Going to see this Friday, sounds interesting

Can anyone say "UN agenda 21" 1996 seems to be what the books are based on

Last edited:
It is shocking that they would be surprised but some people are just clueless I guess. I agree with you that it is quite disappointing that this thinking by people continues to keep going.

It's not shocking to me...I find that the vast majority of people under 25 are clueless and ignorant nowadays.

:lol :lol :lol

It's not shocking to me...I find that the vast majority of people under 25 are clueless and ignorant nowadays.

It is surprising to me - I grew up in the South and was exposed to racism everyday. But nowadays I would think that race is almost a non-factor for young people. Apparently this is not the case.

I can see an inattentive reader being surprised that Rue is black, but to be disappointed that their favorite character is black speaks to a racism that would have to be learned from their parents.

It is surprising to me - I grew up in the South and was exposed to racism everyday. But nowadays I would think that race is almost a non-factor for young people. Apparently this is not the case.

I can see an inattentive reader being surprised that Rue is black, but to be disappointed that their favorite character is black speaks to a racism that would have to be learned from their parents.

:exactly::exactly::exactly::exactly:

I thought so too, than I played a game on XBox Live. Nothing like a 13 year old screaming racial obscenities to you over a video game to show you what the youth of today are like.

:lecture

Whenever I hear students talking stupid ____, all I have to do is look at the parents and that answers all my questions 99% of the time.

:slap Some people are so ____ing stupid, ignorant and trashy

Must be really stupid as well. We have seen trailers and posters stating rue was black before the movie came out. They are either trolling or just idiotic rascist who are to stupid to read. Saying crap like since she's a black child it's not so sad if she died is downright sick.

Back