The Hunger Games

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yea, that really surprises me that people missed that. I think it's pretty obvious that District 11 is supposed to be the agricultural South just as District 12 is Appalachia.

Almost everyone was as I imagined them - except Cinna - I kind of expected him to be flamboyantly gay. Kravitz played it well, but it wasn't exactly what I expected.

white-people.gif

Movie felt pretty run of the mill... I didn't dislike it; but I'd agree with EF there was no real punch to it. But with the first book I felt much more invested early on.

Probably doesn't help that I read it recently so its very easy to make comparisons, but overall it just didn't do a lot for me. Deaths were waaaay to toned down and I really did not like how the end showdown was altered, took away any of the drama of it.

Probably wait to rent the sequels.

I agree. I thought it was run of the mill - good, but nothing mind-blowing that I haven't seen before. Acting was good, story was good, but felt a little long there towards the end of the game. I almost thought the over-the-top costumes of the crowd seemed cheap and like Party City-like, but I loved Effie Trinket and her get-ups. I felt like the obvious censorship of the deaths in the game was cheap, particularly when the game started. You couldn't tell what was happening to who. If the book spelled all this out, and kids read it, they can see it on the screen.

Overall I enjoyed it, though I don't care how long the sequel takes to come out. If at the end of a film I can't wait to see the next chapter, I know I've seen an excellent film. I just didn't feel that with this movie. I wouldn't be terrible upset if they never made a sequel, although I know it's already in the works.

Deaths were waaaay to toned down and I really did not like how the end showdown was altered, took away any of the drama of it.

I haven't read the books but how was it altered?

Wow. Some of these reactions are really pathetic. I can imagine being mildly disappointed if a character looked different than you imagined but to say it ruined the movie is just ridiculous.

I thought the actress playing Rue was adorable. I instantly liked her as soon as she entered the screen and I felt really sad when she died.

I hate the internet.

I was very impressed with the film, but I'd read the books and kind of knew what to expect. However I think the movie was stronger emotionally than the first book. In the books I never got a sense that this was a dystopian futuristic society where the 1% lorded over the rest of the former United States. But the movie really calls it home as social commentary as well as being a good action movie.

I haven't read the books, but this was pretty much what I got out of it, and why it hit me as hard as it did. The film personalized what it means to be at the mercy of that kind of a society, and it did it softly. Don't usually see it done like that, and it had more of an impact on me than it would have if it were terminators tearing families to shreds or something.

Last edited:
While I think the comments they've posted are racist, dark skin doesn't mean black. It could have been Snooki.

Aside from the fact that the author has said in interviews and such that Rue and the guy from District 11 were African-American, there are other clues in the book that that is how you should see the characters.

I don't give a ____ what she is. I'm just saying dark skin doesn't make someone black.

No, it doesn't but as Dave said if you've read the books you'd know of other items mentioned that lead you to KNOWING they're black. Its really as simple as 1+1.

No, it doesn't but as Dave said if you've read the books you'd know of other items mentioned that lead you to KNOWING they're black. Its really as simple as 1+1.

I'm just basing my comments on what the author of the article is using as evidence that these people should have known she was black and that's all he provides.

Back