The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$33.00 EE 3D from BB today, looking forward to revisiting with the wife tonight. :yess:

Imagine how much the LOTR and Hobbit movies will be in 4K or 4K 3D. :horror

4K would be a perfect reason for the LOTR EEE.

Last edited:
Picked it up today at Best Buy. Came with the Dwarf key......don't know what I'll ever do with it.

$33.00 EE 3D from BB today, looking forward to revisiting with the wife tonight. :yess:

Imagine how much the LOTR and Hobbit movies will be in 4K or 4K 3D. :horror

4K would be a perfect reason for the LOTR EEE.

I thought what they added back in helped improve an already solid movie. The moments they put back in slowed the pace down to a level we're more used to with these Middle-earth films.

I would love to see them in 4K.

It's funny, the moments of DoS that I really found were too quickly glossed over and hurried through in the theatrical cut, are precisely the ones where they've added material back in this cut. I guess there was a reason those bits felt rushed!

Watched the 3D EE blu last night.

Wow! What an awesome improvement! I agree with the assessment above that it makes it just feel like a previous LOTR movie. The theatrical cut was extremely cool but was almost the "Temple of Doom" of LOTR movies with the characters just bouncing from one action sequence to the next with little time for story at each location. Though I will say that not one extra second of Tauriel made me sad. I've got to assume that PJ was reacting to complaints that the TE of AUJ was long and boring. That can only be the explanation for DOS's cuts. Because everything just added to the story in a very necessary and natural way.

SPOILERS:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Watched the 3D EE blu last night.

Wow! What an awesome improvement! I agree with the assessment above that it makes it just feel like a previous LOTR movie. The theatrical cut was extremely cool but was almost the "Temple of Doom" of LOTR movies with the characters just bouncing from one action sequence to the next with little time for story at each location. Though I will say that not one extra second of Tauriel made me sad. I've got to assume that PJ was reacting to complaints that the TE of AUJ was long and boring. That can only be the explanation for DOS's cuts. Because everything just added to the story in a very necessary and natural way.

SPOILERS:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Can anyone in the know clarify one thing for me? Are we going to get the White Council tossing Sauron out of Mirkwood? For some reason I am getting the impression that we aren't getting that somehow. :dunno

Yes I liked

Spoiler Spoiler:

I just thought the whole thing had a great flow. PJ is two for two with Hobbit EE's now IMO.

The only thing that bugged me was that after being thankfully absent in the TE PJ inserted not one but TWO Wilhelm screams into the EE. Sigh. I wish it would just die.

Can anyone in the know clarify one thing for me? Are we going to get the White Council tossing Sauron out of Mirkwood? For some reason I am getting the impression that we aren't getting that somehow. :dunno

Nope you're gonna get some of that in BOTFA.

Yes I liked

Spoiler Spoiler:

I just thought the whole thing had a great flow. PJ is two for two with Hobbit EE's now IMO.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm with ya. Both EE have improved already solid films.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm with ya. Both EE have improved already solid films.

I know that Beorn on the ridge is in the TE but it takes on new meaning after their extended talk about sending back the ponies.

I know that Beorn on the ridge is in the TE but it takes on new meaning after their extended talk about sending back the ponies.

I got ya. I guess from reading the book that didn't hit me more than it did.

Back