The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really enjoyed the EE. Having never seen the theatrical version I can't say what I thought of the added material, but this film felt much more like a film that blends in well with the LOTR films unlike AUJ. If BOTFA is as good or better than I'll be happy and , aybe AUJ will grow on me more than it has so far.

I find AUJ blends quite well. I don't disagree that the EE of this does as well but AUJ I just think is as good at that. It probably has the most Hobbit book feel where this you get more of the serious LOTR feel.

Watched the first half of the DOS EE again last night. MAN do I like that new Beorn intro. He's so much cooler now. I think the extra Lake-Town scenes change Bard's character for the better as well. In the TE everyone is watching and spying on him and he only succeeds in hiding the dwarves by bribing everybody or threatening a riot. But when you see all the townspeople covering for him and then he tells the fisherman that "the fish you can have for free" it no longer comes across as a bribe but rather a gift to a struggling neighbor. It really drives home how much the people like him.

I always found the TE to be a rousing fast paced adventure tale but this EE is just so much better as a film.

Watched the first half of the DOS EE again last night. MAN do I like that new Beorn intro. He's so much cooler now. I think the extra Lake-Town scenes change Bard's character for the better as well. In the TE everyone is watching and spying on him and he only succeeds in hiding the dwarves by bribing everybody or threatening a riot. But when you see all the townspeople covering for him and then he tells the fisherman that "the fish you can have for free" it no longer comes across as a bribe but rather a gift to a struggling neighbor. It really drives home how much the people like him.

I always found the TE to be a rousing fast paced adventure tale but this EE is just so much better as a film.

Agree 100%

Only I did not find the TE version to be rousing... Rather I found to be an over the top piece of fan fiction... Now the film feels more complete and finished.

I always found that the Extended versions of the films helped improve the LOTR films (though I hate the Pirate ship scene in ROTK) but DOS was the most improved as far as how I felt about the film before and after seeing the EX cut. TTT I would say was next. AUJ was slightly better but not improved to the level that DOS and TTT are.

Only I did not find the TE version to be rousing... Rather I found to be an over the top piece of fan fiction...

Oh yes, your disdain for the DOS TE is well documented. :lol ;)

I disagree on the TT EE being a major improvement. I actually think it's inferior to the TE. The movie just doesn't really take hold until the Battle of Helm's Deep (save for the awesome Rivendell flashbacks) and anything that prolongs its arrival or interrupts it further is only a bad thing. I do love a few moments from the EE, particularly the Boromir flashback, but overall I prefer the TE.

The EE have always taken these fantastic films and made them better. The material that has been added back in as a whole in all these films has fleshed things out even more so. They are without a doubt the definitive versions of these films.

The EE have always taken these fantastic films and made them better. The material that has been added back in as a whole in all these films has fleshed things out even more so. They are without a doubt the definitive versions of these films.

:exactly: couldn't agree more!

I remember getting one of the dvd EE every christmas back in the day :lol Always watch them around that time now.

I'll give the hobbit another read before the last film next month.

Anyone else prefer the dvd EE covers that look more like books? Not too keen on these blu ray boxes and the distracting big 3D logo on the front.

Hopefully they come up with something better for the complete boxset. I'd love a wooden chest filled with all 6 editions.

Hopefully they come up with something better for the complete boxset. I'd love a wooden chest filled with all 6 editions.

I'm hoping for something on the line of what they did with Harry Potter.

I prefer the LotR DVDs as well and also the soundtracks. With those were the same too.

Back