The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the trailer was pretty meh to be honest. Too much lazy, cheap looking CGI for my tastes. "The Defining Moment" is FAR too specific. "The Defining Chapter" from the last trailer was understandable, but "moment"? What could it possibly be? Also, what is with the bats? The way they were introduced in the trailer was almost identical to how the Uruk'hai were described by Aragon in Two Towers. Uruk'bats? Bat'hai? Sounds bizarre.

Why would it be boring? Why not a fast paced, streamlined adventure story in the spirit of Star Wars? Just because it doesn't have such a great amount of detail as LOTR doesn't mean that it has to have so many subplots and so much story bloat like AUJ and DOS did. Once again, Star Wars is a great example of how a world can be made detailed and believable without bogging down the plot in extraneous material, and indeed the original LOTR was pretty straightforward in regards to this. World building is the key.

Most of the subplots would have made ideal EE material, though - the Necromancer story, the Laketown politics from DOS. And the film would have made a billion any way, even without all the LOTR tie ins. Just setting it in the same universe, with Gandalf in a prominent role should have been enough.

Or they could make three movies that make $1 billion each. Which is what they did.

I'm glad they made 3 movies, so, I'm happy. Sorry you aren't.

Nice enough song. It shares some similarities with Into the West. Quite sedate in some ways. Billy Boyd does a great job singing it. I was hoping for something with a bit more darkness to hint towards. But over all I give it a thumbs up. I think the Enya piece and the one with Emiliana Torrini remain my favorites though.

Nice enough song. It shares some similarities with Into the West. Quite sedate in some ways. Billy Boyd does a great job singing it. I was hoping for something with a bit more darkness to hint towards. But over all I give it a thumbs up. I think the Enya piece and the one with Emiliana Torrini remain my favorites though.

It does remind me in tone with Into The West, which is probably why I like it so much. That is still my favorite but I could see this ending up as number two on my list.

Interesting, Gollum's Song was my least favorite of the three. But when I say least favorite I just mean I liked the other two a little bit more, it was still fantastic.

Interesting, Gollum's Song was my least favorite of the three. But when I say least favorite I just mean I liked the other two a little bit more, it was still fantastic.

At the end of Two Towers I was really feeling bad for Gollum and the song at the end just resonated with that.

Josh, do you wish that the Hobbit trilogy had come first?

Do you think that had that happened it would've made LOTR an even better trilogy, or no.

If Hobbit even would've been a trilogy.

I think we would be dissing LOTR when comparing them to the superior Hobbit movies. :lol

Last edited:
Josh, do you wish that the Hobbit trilogy had come first?

Do you think that had that happened it would've made LOTR an even better trilogy, or no.

If Hobbit even would've been a trilogy.

I think we would be dissing LOTR when comparing them to the superior Hobbit movies. :lol

No, I'm ok with how things went. I do think things would have played out differently as far as layouts of all the movies. So for how things are I'm glad they are the way that they are because I think what we've gotten so far are five damn good movies.

I think it is possible. :lol

Planning on taking off work Monday the 15th for the Trilogy! :)

No freebies this time. :(

Cinemark - Cinemark - The Hobbit Marathon

If AMC does this I'll probably do it.

Analysis: Peter Jackson's The Hobbit trilogy concludes this December with The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Advertisements promise that this will be "the defining chapter" of the franchise, and fans of the Middle Earth saga are surely excited to see the titular battle portrayed on the big screen. Outside of hardcore fans, though, it doesn't seem like there's much excitement surrounding this finale.

The franchise is currently on a downward trajectory: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey earned 20 percent less than The Return of the King, while The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was off 15 percent from An Unexpected Journey. The bleeding should slow down with The Battle of the Five Armies: Smaug was widely considered an improvement over its predecessor, and franchise finales tend to do pretty well.

Unlike the last two years, though, The Hobbit isn't the only major movie coming out this December. Noting the lukewarm reception of the first installment, other studios programmed some very competitive titles: Exodus: Gods and Kings, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb and Into the Woods should all chip away at this movie's audience.

As a result, a modest decline seems to be in order (somewhere in the five to ten percent range). Ultimately, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies seems poised to be the lowest-grossing, least-attended entry in the six-movie Middle Earth saga.

Forecast:
$235 million

I saw. He was wrong last year on the domestic number and I expect he will be again. I figure this is going to make around $265 million in the US and in the area of 1-1.1 billion WW.

I agree, their crystal ball has been way off on many occasions.

From the articles I've seen they've been rooting against these movies. I know that sounds stupid or that I'm being protective of this subject matter. However, they kept saying AUJ was a failure despite the fact it made over a billion dollars WW. I'm sorry but that ain't no failure as far as BO numbers go. The last one didn't make as much but still made just short of a billion and that ain't bad either. I expect this film being the last of the three and the last Middle-earth film will see a bump in numbers as most end films tend to do. I know for myself I plan to see this at least 5-6 times.

The title alone sells it. I'm guilty of skipping past the fluff on dvd and straight to the battles :lol

I read on twitter that there are now something like 12 different options to watch the movie in :lol

Back