The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your wife seems like a pretty smart gal, Jye. Every time I watch one of these hobbit movies, no matter how much I absolutely love them, they tend to leave a bad taste in my mouth with all the CGI **** they decided to go with this time around. It takes you out of the movie.

At some points the Hobbit movie U and the LOTR movie U don't even feel like they take place in the same middle earth because of it.

yep... it kind of reminds me of star wars episode 3 compared to the originals. Obviously the hobbit movies better, and LOTR had cgi in it as well

but it does feel like it is almost a different universe. it doesn't really feel the same. the hobbit sometimes feels the way remake movies do, replacing what made the original great with a bunch of cartoony cgi,
seeing the hobbit scares me into wondering what a lotr remake would be like, they might as well make the entire movie CGI even all the characters at this point.

im surprised Peter didnt film the hobbit movies ENTIRELY with green screen, I mean, he totally could have

but it does feel like it is almost a different universe. it doesn't really feel the same. the hobbit sometimes feels the way remake movies do, replacing what made the original great with a bunch of cartoony cgi

It doesn't to me and lots of others. Of course this varies to some fans.

Let's just make sure we use spoiler tags.

I'll be avoiding this thread for sure. I can't resist clicking spoilers.

Even though I've read the book and know how everything will end, I don't want to be spoiled regarding whether or not Jackson takes liberties with the plot.

yep... it kind of reminds me of star wars episode 3 compared to the originals. Obviously the hobbit movies better, and LOTR had cgi in it as well

but it does feel like it is almost a different universe. it doesn't really feel the same. the hobbit sometimes feels the way remake movies do, replacing what made the original great with a bunch of cartoony cgi,
seeing the hobbit scares me into wondering what a lotr remake would be like, they might as well make the entire movie CGI even all the characters at this point.

im surprised Peter didnt film the hobbit movies ENTIRELY with green screen, I mean, he totally could have
I feel the same way to an extent, Middle Earth in rings felt like a historical, lived in world which is what they were going for. The Hobbit at times just feels like being on a greenscreen soundstage while theme park ride setpieces unfold with no sense of real danger.

I'm glad they made lotr when they did, it wouldn't be the same trilogy with even more CG stuff.

Seeing amazing builds like Edoras hall on a remote NZ hill are still amazing to me, as does all the 'bigatures' stuff.

Honestly, as much as I know PJ is milking the franchise, and as far as his creative license goes at times... I could watch 72 hours of Middle-Earth films.

I couldn't do a better job than PJ does, and after this last Hobbit film I'm going to be very sad.

doesn't the Tolkien family hate everything about the movies?

Chris his son does. His grandson Royd has actually had cameo roles in ROTK and one of The Hobbit films.

This is true. Just for clarification sake, Royd is actually a great-grandson and his actual surname was Baker as his mother was a Tolkien. He officially changed it to Tolkien himself. I like that, he's hard core! :rock

Thanks for the link. I started reading until I got to this part...

The very last of these points could be considered quite a large plot spoiler as it deviates quite significantly from the material in the novel. So be warned.

...then I was out. :lol

I thought the trailer was pretty meh to be honest. Too much lazy, cheap looking CGI for my tastes. "The Defining Moment" is FAR too specific. "The Defining Chapter" from the last trailer was understandable, but "moment"? What could it possibly be? Also, what is with the bats? The way they were introduced in the trailer was almost identical to how the Uruk'hai were described by Aragon in Two Towers. Uruk'bats? Bat'hai? Sounds bizarre.

I've said this before, if The Hobbit would've been a straight adaption of the book it would've made a boring movie. It's a children's book without a lot of detail.

Why would it be boring? Why not a fast paced, streamlined adventure story in the spirit of Star Wars? Just because it doesn't have such a great amount of detail as LOTR doesn't mean that it has to have so many subplots and so much story bloat like AUJ and DOS did. Once again, Star Wars is a great example of how a world can be made detailed and believable without bogging down the plot in extraneous material, and indeed the original LOTR was pretty straightforward in regards to this. World building is the key.

I also think the PJ added a lot to this knowing that he may very well never get to do anything else with Middle Earth and wanted to get as much as he was allowed to into it. Also, not everyone read the books and he almost had to tie more of LotR into it for the audience. LotR brought them to The Hobbit.

Most of the subplots would have made ideal EE material, though - the Necromancer story, the Laketown politics from DOS. And the film would have made a billion any way, even without all the LOTR tie ins. Just setting it in the same universe, with Gandalf in a prominent role should have been enough.

Or they could make three movies that make $1 billion each. Which is what they did.

Back