The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10408111_768462546551473_8662539040537107075_n.jpg

So far, these films can't hold a candle to the original LOTR films, despite being set in the same world with some of the same characters. I don't have high hopes for the last film, but I hope I'm wrong.

New poster is cool. I expect the trailer in the next month and I've seen a rumor it might be tied to Interstellar.

As far as these movies go. I think they're pretty damn fantastic and as good at being The Hobbit as one could expect. I have no problem saying these films easily belong on the same shelf as LOTR and just continue to show why Middle-earth is so awesome.

I loved the EE of TDoS more than AUJ. I expect this last movie will knock my socks clean off.

I keep forgetting the last one is coming out soon. They've all been pretty forgettable to me so far. They don't have the impact Lord of the Rings had. I remember the months leading up to the Return of the King was huge. There was this great buzz surrounding the trilogy from Fellowship on that was leading to something massive. I don't get that feeling here. Then again, I think The Lord of the Rings films were better made. I think the only time I was hyped for the Hobbit films is when it was announced that Jackson would be returning as director, they started filming, and I saw/heard the Lonely Mountain song/trailer. There was also those great little documentaries spread out before the movies. Since then, it's been down hill from there.

Also, what's up with the marketing and merchandising for the Hobbit brand? Seems like it was DOA. There's no real push for the conclusion of the movies and companies like Bridge Direct have seemingly abandoned their merchandise campaign. I remember back in 2002 and 2003, Two Towers and Return of the King were getting pushed hard. Toy Biz couldn't keep up with the demand and Sideshow and NECA were busting out really impressive pieces.

It seems like the Hobbit's only real contribution is offering a resurgence in The Lord of the Rings property. I can't wait until we see more of the deleted scenes/sequences from the Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers and Return of the King that they discussed at comic con.

Last edited:
I loved the EE of TDoS more than AUJ. I expect this last movie will knock my socks clean off.

The EE hasn't come out yet. You mean the TE? I think this last movie is going to be pretty darn good.

I keep forgetting the last one is coming out soon. They've all been pretty forgettable to me so far. They don't have the impact Lord of the Rings had. I remember the months leading up to the Return of the King was huge. There was this great buzz surrounding the trilogy from Fellowship on that was leading to something massive. I don't get that feeling here. Then again, I think The Lord of the Rings films were better made. I think the only time I was hyped for the Hobbit films is when it was announced that Jackson would be returning as director, they started filming, and I saw/heard the Lonely Mountain song/trailer. There was also those great little documentaries spread out before the movies. Since then, it's been down hill from there.

I think those of us who are really into Middle-earth are still excited as are new fans made by these movies. The issue is right now stuff like The Hunger Games, Marvel movies, and the like pull in all the bandwagon fans. The third film will still be around or more than a billion dollars world wide so it will be fine as far as all that goes.

Also, what's up with the marketing and merchandising for the Hobbit brand? Seems like it was DOA. There's no real push for the conclusion of the movies and companies like Bridge Direct have seemingly abandoned their merchandise campaign. I remember back in 2002 and 2003, Two Towers and Return of the King were getting pushed hard. Toy Biz couldn't keep up with the demand and Sideshow and NECA were busting out really impressive pieces.

The marketing has been alright. I'd like to see WB be a little more out there with posters, teaser, trailers, etc. As far as products go the license is only really held to do high end stuff by a couple of companies. The smaller stuff is TBD and to be honest they haven't handled things well for whatever reason. Some of that is by basically only putting these figures into Toys R Us, which made no sense to use them as the only store. Weta has been churning out quite a bit of Hobbit related stuff. Maybe you're not paying attention to them but they've got several statues out, props, etc for these Hobbit films with more announced at SDCC, Salt Lake Comic-Con, and will have some new stuff at NYCC this weekend. Plus they have said they plan to be making statues for both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings for quite some time. They're pacing things out so that folks can get all they want to get without having so many orders hanging out over the top of their heads.

I got that backwards. I liked TDoS more than the EE of AUJ (which I also liked a lot). :panic:

I got ya. I enjoyed the EE of AUJ more but I am quite excited to see the EE if DOS and what it adds to make that film even better.

I expect the hype machine will get going soon since it's a little less than 3 months out and I can't wait. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty bad ass! If nothing else it should make the people who didn't like the Return of the King's multiple ending sequences happy. :lol

I expect the hype machine will get going soon since it's a little less than 3 months out and I can't wait. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty bad ass! If nothing else it should make the people who didn't like the Return of the King's multiple ending sequences happy. :lol

I expect as I said a trailer in the next month and it appears we're starting to get a slow trickle of posters. I think this is going to be a fantastic movie to end a darn good trilogy. I think we might get a couple of ending moments.

I'm ok with these not being "LOTR" strong because well, they're not the LOTR.

Nothing from Middle Earth could ever compete with the story about destroying the ring.

How the ring was found was always going to be less dramatic for me.

Prequels are always at a disadvantage anyways, we know how it ends.

My wife says that the 2 Hobbit movies have been very forgettable for her when compared to LOTR, she loves those.

I'm enjoying them.

But yeah, nothing can touch LOTR, and I mean nothing! :lol

Last edited:
So far, these films can't hold a candle to the original LOTR films, despite being set in the same world with some of the same characters. I don't have high hopes for the last film, but I hope I'm wrong.

your expectations are way too high if you thought these movies would be as close to perfection as the LOTR trilogy was.

I'm ok with these not being "LOTR" strong because well, they're not the LOTR.

Nothing from Middle Earth could ever compete with the story about destroying the ring.

How the ring was found was always going to be less dramatic for me.

Prequels are always at a disadvantage anyways, we know how it ends.

My wife says that the 2 Hobbit movies have been very forgettable for her when compared to LOTR, she loves those.

I'm enjoying them.

But yeah, nothing can touch LOTR, and I mean nothing! :lol

The movies have been great and the book is great. Thing is you're correct in that The Hobbit in general is as good as LOTR.

Back