The GODZILLA Film Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You actually hit on something that was a bit of a turn off for me with Godzilla movies starting from like 1991 on. You always have to have a human story, that's just the way it is, but it seemed like almost too much time was devoted to the human story and not enough to the monsters, which ultimately, especially as Americans watching poorly dubbed copies :lol, is what we're watching them for. That's why Gojira and Godzilla 1985 are my top 2 favorites, there was such an emphasis on Godzilla himself in them and in both cases, they really went all out with FX techniques to give a great range of closeups and full shots and just really good stuff.

I think I benefit that I can watch the American Godzilla and just watch it was what it is and not trying to be. I just see it as a typical American movie of its kind and as such its a good film in that body of pictures, but a Godzilla it is not.

None of the images open out of thumbnail view, is that just me or general issue?

It's not working for me either. Bah, there are some real sweet pics in there.:banghead

I think I benefit that I can watch the American Godzilla and just watch it was what it is and not trying to be. I just see it as a typical American movie of its kind and as such its a good film in that body of pictures, but a Godzilla it is not.

Yup. If it had a different name, it would have been a pretty fun western monster movie. But as it stands...No, just no.:monkey4

It's not working for me either. Bah, there are some real sweet pics in there.:banghead

Ya, from the thumbs I'd like to see just about every one of them there.

I'd like to know how the American design was pitched to TOHO. The maquette had him almost standing like TOHO's design. I'd be curious if they did that to get approval and then went the T-Rex body gesturing they used or not.

Regardless, we've got 20+ movies of real Godzilla action :rock

Ya, from the thumbs I'd like to see just about every one of them there.

I'd like to know how the American design was pitched to TOHO. The maquette had him almost standing like TOHO's design. I'd be curious if they did that to get approval and then went the T-Rex body gesturing they used or not.

Regardless, we've got 20+ movies of real Godzilla action :rock

From what I heard, there was originally going to be a '94 american Godzilla movie, for which Stan Winston did the designs and to be directed by someone else. Then all kinds of nasty things happened in production and the project was shelved, until Emmerich said he was interested in it. As far as Toho was concerned, they didn't know that the story and design had been changed, and only got to see Zilla when the movie was almost done...

Thought I'd give this thread a bump with some images of my latest acquisition. I can't figure out the maker, it's not really a figure as there's no poseability, and the construction method isn't exactly like Bandai, but overall it looks and is sized like a Bandai piece, so maybe it's not a figure but something else. I love it though, and I'm glad I found it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Bookmarked the Gfan page---only 4 hours away from Chicago--I wish i had known.

its so difficult to pick a favorite G-Flick that i won't do it . but the worst was G-1998. i think it would of been much better if they would have put a traditional Godzilla head on that body.

While it's not exactly, Godzilla, there is a new DVD coming out from Classic Media on September 9th - Rodan/War of the Gargantuas.

611D7nKdoJL._SS500_.jpg

The original Rodan of the 60's was a great design, they completely ruined it in the 90's I thought, too Jurassic Park Pteranadon in it's look to me.

I just watched GODZILLA 1985 for the first time on an old VHS tape. I have no idea why some fans hate this movie! Sure, it isn't great filmmaking by any standards, and I'm sure the Japanese version is superior, but IMO, it is the only other Godzilla film that I have seen that at least tries to capture the tone and message of the original. It also features one fo the best Godzilla designs. As opposed to some of the corny and downright laughable designs in the earlier films, this Godzilla actually looks menacing. While the eyes make him look more human, at the same time the eyes and the fangs make him resemble a fierce, Oriental dragon. I also enjoyed the reappearance of Raymond Burr, who added a sense of legitimacy to the 1985 American version.

Sure, movies like Mothra vs Godzilla, and Son of Godzilla are fun Saturday morning adventures, but Godzilla 1985 is closer to what the character was originally about. I even feel it blows movies like Godzilla Raids Again and some of the later Showa films out of the water!

I bought FINAL WARS as a blind buy, looking for some cheesy 1960's-style monster battles with great modern special effects. Unfortunately, I had to turn it off because it gave me a headache. Literally. The fast editing where each cut lasted under about 4 seconds, the X-Men rip-offs, and color/explosion/CGI over load were too much for one movie.... or for ANY movie.

I bought FINAL WARS as a blind buy, looking for some cheesy 1960's-style monster battles with great modern special effects. Unfortunately, I had to turn it off because it gave me a headache. Literally. The fast editing where each cut lasted under about 4 seconds, the X-Men rip-offs, and color/explosion/CGI over load were too much for one movie.... or for ANY movie.

Ya, if it weren't for it being, tentatively, the last Godzilla movie ever, at least planned and not some future remake or something that rips it off, I'd probably not own Final Wars, just a weak way for him to go out, but as a G fan I have to have them all.

Nothing will beat the Matthew Broderick Godzilla remake!!!

godzilla-monster-edition-large.jpg

They took a tired old outdated concept and monster and made it something worth watching!!

I'm pissed there is no sequel!

010.gif

I liked this Godzilla too I thought it was the Best Film ever when I was a kid and I would hire it out every time I went to the Video Store
Yea Disapointing there was no Sequel with the Whole Godzilla Baby still alive at the end and all :banghead

Back