The GODZILLA Film Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif
chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif
chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif
chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif
chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif
chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif

:rock :rock :rock

Watching a little G action this weekend, wanted to share this, one of my favorite stills of the modern G films.

9.jpg

I wish they would make a proper American Godzilla film...Large budget, faithfull to the first one, kickass redesign, done by a director who can balance spectacle and action, keeps the anti-atomic bomb message, portrays Godzilla as a ^^^^ing invincible force of nature...:rock But alas, I'm afraid that'll remain a dream forever.:monkey2

And isn't a new Gojira movie supposed to come out in 2013, with the 50th(?) anniversary?

And isn't a new Gojira movie supposed to come out in 2013, with the 50th(?) anniversary?

Godzilla's 50th Anniversary has passed, 2004 marked the 50th Anniversary for him, Gojira debuted in 1954.

2013 isn't even a 60th anniversary. Maybe there are plans for a movie, but if that's the release year, it won't be tied to anything special.

Godzilla's 50th Anniversary has passed, 2004 marked the 50th Anniversary for him, Gojira debuted in 1954.

2013 isn't even a 60th anniversary. Maybe there are plans for a movie, but if that's the release year, it won't be tied to anything special.

Hrmmn...Maybe I got the date wrong, cause I swear I read something about a new movie being released on an anniversary of the franchise...

Well if it's 2014, that'd be the 60th Anniversary, but seems weird to be planning that far ahead already, and why bother only making them for anniversaries, the G fanbase I'm sure would love more movies, regardless of them being released at some special date. If Toho makes Godzilla movies, I'm watching and owning them.

As for American studios making one, I had my hopes back in 1997 when I heard of the movie coming that it would in essence be just like the Japanese films, only superior CGI and suit work, no dubbing, more realistic sets, and perhaps a real solid story. I like the movie that was made, but I look at it as just a cool monster movie, not a Godzilla movie, nothing about it embodies what Godzilla's about, short of a huge lizard with spines on his back that breaths fire. Japanese Godzilla is symbolic of nature fighting back against man's atrocities, American Godzilla was just about taking a realistic approach to origins and everything. I don't think there's an American film maker that could do a Godzilla movie and not lose the essence of the character, I think it'd always be like what was made or a Michael Bay type movie.

I don't think there's an American film maker that could do a Godzilla movie and not lose the essence of the character,

This got me thinking. Surely there must be somebody out there that could pull off an American Godzilla. I thought about it for awhile and determined that any American Godzilla would just be another monster movie.

Godzilla was created in a place and time unique to Japan. This small island faces the threat of tsunamis, volcanos, earthquakes, the ambitions of unscrupulous military commanders, and then suddenly, nuclear annihilation. An American Godzilla would be as silly as a Japanese film about the American Revolution.

Godzilla has always been one way for me (and other Americans) to catch a rare and real glimpse of Japanese culture and commentary. I don't need an American Godzilla. As an American G-fan, I'm quite content to be on the outside looking in. It's more interesting that way.

chibigodzillamv9qb6.gif
:rock

I'd love to see a new Godzilla movie, done the right way.

The Godzilla w/Matthew Broderick was absolutely horrible.

:monkey4

I never saw Godzilla 2000. How was it?

Godzilla movies really are always about statements it seems, at least most anyway.

I recently watched the last few films, and from Godzilla vs Biollante on, there was a strong message about female power worked into them, from the telepathic character of Nikki Sagusa to the military women in the last few films, especially when some of the last films closed with shots of the women at sunsets and things to capture them in a moment of saying hey, a woman can be as powerful as a man.

That's why I don't think an American studio could pull off a proper Godzilla; American movies tend to be made just for show nowadays, no strong cultural statements made anymore, and therefore they won't understand that cultural statements are what drove to Godzilla starting and won't continue that in their own film. Godzilla would be treated like a Transformer or an Alien or Predator, just a creature wreaking havoc.

And Sean...they are just plain cool! :rock

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 1993 RULES! Love that one! Great score. I have that one and the Destroyah Japanese CDs. Awesome music.

Also, regarding just watching Godzilla, I like the part in Space Godzilla where the gang are chasing him on foot and motorcycles, after he comes in from the ocean, as he walks from one area to another on that beach...that was well done to me.

Or here, in Godzilla vs King Ghidora
GinGvsKG.jpg

I love the Heisei version of G, the HUGE one with that long, long tail. Looked awesome!

That's funny, I've been watching G vs. SpaceGodzilla before bed the last few nights and just left off at the beach scene last night.

One of my favorite G suits is the one from Biollante and the 91 Ghidorah movie, he's such a presence and I love how the back spines don't graduate from his head but are just small, small, then all of a sudden these HUGE spines that then fade smaller to the tail.

EDIT: Exactly like that picture you posted Les, I was so happy when I managed to track down the Bandai figure of that Godzilla, it's one of my favorites and it's in the 8" scale instead of the standard 6".

I love how eBay allows me to come into posession of obscure Godzilla figures and things from Japan.

Just won this 6-7" tall Godzilla 1989 figure, very exciting, much more accurrate than the one I already have in the sculpt work, and particularly the spine paint apps, they're exactly what they should be and look great, I can't wait until it arrives.

DSCN6301.jpg

DSCN6302.jpg

DSCN6303.jpg

WHOAH!! THAT G KICKS SERIOUS A$$! I mean SERIOUS! Fantastic score! :bow
I applaud you!!! THanks for sharing that one. Love him with his mouth closed best. Love the lines of the design. AWESOME fig! Never saw that one before at all.

WHOAH!! THAT G KICKS SERIOUS A$$! I mean SERIOUS! Fantastic score! :bow
I applaud you!!! THanks for sharing that one. Love him with his mouth closed best. Love the lines of the design. AWESOME fig! Never saw that one before at all.

This was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of it, which is surprising. Could be it's not as legit as the seller lists it, says it's a Bandai from 1998, but whatever, as long as it's not a falling apart POS and looks as great at the pictures, should be fine. Size and style says Bandai to me though.

I prefer the closed mouth figures, partly because having just about every G suit in figure form, I've seen the open mouth overplayed, but also, on most, it's a solid strip of plastic with teeth embossed and painted and on some it just looks bad, closed mouth looks nicer.

I think I should do some photowork with my Godzilla figures, I've never really done much with them, I've shot all of them to show each suit once, but never anything creative.

I'd love to see a new Godzilla movie, done the right way.

The Godzilla w/Matthew Broderick was absolutely horrible.

:monkey4

I never saw Godzilla 2000. How was it?

:lecture Who could ever forget the speech Broderick gave explaining how NYC was the perfect place for Godzilla to lay it's eggs because it was a perfect hiding spot:confused: One of the stupidest examples of screen writing I've ever witnessed.

I believe this was the film that single-handedly destroyed the reputation of the Cannes Film Festival when it debutted there.

Good Lord! That American travesty is why we are not too good at monster movies. We either camp them up, and play down to the fan base, or overdo them. The Japanese don't care. They just make them, totally committed whether it sucks or not, so when it hits, it is fun. I wish the American makers of monster movies could understand that. Cloverfield came in pretty well, closer in tone to the 1954 Godzilla than any other American monster movie has, but it is still missing something. Not showing the monster much is not a plus. I am there for the kaiju, nothing else. Human story? Who cares! Give me monsters or leave me out of it. Only thing wrong with the last Godzilla movie, the Japanese one, Godzilla FInal Wars, was that there was this fight going on with Godzilla and the new Gigan, outside the spaceship where all this human story was going on, and I saw WAY too much human story. WHO CARES! Show me rubber suits in combat! Let's see action!

But seriously, most variants of Godzilla miss it. It's the subtleties that make these movies special. And, to me, the music. Akira Ifikube makes them special also.

Anyway, I could go on all day. Nice catch again Sean. I am kinda jealous here! :D Nice to see your set growing!

Back