The Gi joe pictures thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The late 70's-mid 80's was the best time to be a kid. Going into a Toys R Us and seeing aisle after aisle packed solid with GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars, Master of the Universe, Thundercats, the list goes on and on. Kid these days will never understand what a magical experience that was. I still vividly remember the first time I laid eyes on the USS Flagg in a toy store. At that age it seemed like the size of an actual aircraft carrier.

Walking down that little video game aisle of Wal-Mart is a cold experience by comparison.

Exactly.

GI Joe, Transformers, and He-Man were my top 3.

But it just doesn't seem like a toy I take my son down in Wal-Mart.
Back then it seemed like the Toys 'R' Us stores were everywhere also.

I realize there are patterns with everything.
But what happened?
Why did the Joes and Transformers go away?

Video gaming killed toys didn't it?

IMO, yes.

The advances in technology just killed the action figure "market."

One of the key factors was also Kenner coming back out with the Star Wars line and Hasbro buying Kenner. Joe was a huge contributer to SW toys decline in the 80's and they didn't want the lines to compete in the 90's. I guess they figured today that both lines could exist together.

I have to disagree. The Star Wars POTF line didn't start until late '95 -early '96. By that time GIJOE: RAH was already dead and the Extreme line wasn't no where near as popular as RAH and couldn't even compete with Star Wars.

The major downfall of RAH was the Gulf War. As soon as the War started military toys became "taboo" and Hasbro had to change direction of RAH to Star Brigade, Eco-Warriors, Dino Hunters, Street Fighter 2 :rolleyes:....you get my point. All of these changes came between '92-'94 which was during the War. Changing the direction of the line is what killed it.

serpentor.jpg

When I was growing up I watched the GI Joe cartoon, I wasn't big on the comic book. I collected all the figures and vehichles and playsets.
I have just one question...did Stormshadow ever join the Joes?
I remember him & Snake Eyes always fighting but never finishing the job, always with respect.
I remember going to Child's World...we didn't have a TRU near us.
The action figure aisle was filled with GI Joe's,Star Wars, Transformers and every other cool figure.
Now that the GI Joe figures are coming back out I can't stop buying them.
:chew

Like it a lot..I love what he's sayin in his statement..truely an original artist.

I agree.

Thanks Khev for finding this and posting it. Really interesting and his statement does a wonderful job of summarizing possibly why many of us still collect (despite our--dare I type it-- maturity?... or rather despite of:D).

And the Hulk Hogan and Big John Studd painting is graphically disturbing :rotfl and I had those (and maybe still do somewhere).

Back