The Dark Knight 10th Aniversary Theatrical Rerelease

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the 21st Century:

Best Drama: Boyhood
Best Sci-fi: Blade Runner 2049
Best CBM: Batman Begins
Best Fantasy: Fellowship of the Ring
Best Action/Adventure: Rogue One
Best Animated: Spirited Away
Best Romantic Comedy: Love Actually
Best Horror: The VVitch

Maybe my statment was too bold? Claiming TDK was best film of the 21st century, so far...
Maybe if I had worded it slightly different. TDK is the best film of the last 18 years, it might of been more acceptable.

I hardly ever say it 'coz I'll probably get flamed, but I never got into any of the Nolan films. I don't get the reverence for them. Christian Bale irritates me for no reason I can really describe - I dunno - maybe on some level to me some level of self-importance comes across:dunno, no matter what he is doing. (Kinda reminds me of Tom Cruise that way, tho both actors are talented). The movies just seem ponderous and occasionally boring or silly. Unrelentingly dark and heavy. There's a few standouts like Ledger but overall not my thing. Doesn't help when I think the villains (League of Shadows, Joker) are kinda cool and I'm rooting for them. IMO there were miscasts like Rachel.

It's not that I think they're bad, it's just I don't enjoy them a lot. Don't spend time analyzing why. There can be great movies like No Country for Old Men but for me the litmus test is am I gonna buy and watch again. I'm not trolling but just sayin' not everyone is blown away by Nolan's Batman films. I wouldn't want to have to watch them over and over.

I don't know what the best film of the last 18 years might be:dunno - for me that might get deep into technical details and stuff I've got no idea about. And it may be subjective. IMO Nolan's Batman films ARE well constructed - consistent visual theme, pace, editing. Whether I like them are not, IMO they're well-made films. It's just there are other films I'd rather be marooned with, including IM1, TWS, CW, Indiana Jones, POTC....

Re the IMAX thing - a favorite theater of mine has a seat-rumbling sound system and it's "true" IMAX - probably the theater I'll target for IW - so yeah, if there's a favorite film I think it's worth the cost. The screen is so huge it's pretty immersive. Cinemark's XD is pretty great too IMO; crystal clear screen if smaller, and good sound. IMO the Nolan films are worth it if you love those.

No blockbuster or superhero crap can be "the best film of this... " year/decade/century.

I'm curious as to what your standard of "best film" might be.

Because, looking at it from a purely audience reaction perspective, I'll never forget seeing IM1 the first time. Weekday night, reasonably full theater, and I got the impression nobody was expecting much. People were showing up because of word-of-mouth or the trailers, but it's not like Iron Man was Superman or Batman. The atmosphere was tepid.

That audience was lit up, by the end. If I ever met RDJ I'd have to thank him for that.

That night is always gonna stick in my head (especially because the person with me had been flat about the whole thing and ended up smiling and applauding with everyone else). I don't see people clap at the end of films very often.

So, is a film like IM1 that electrified audiences the "best"? Or does it depend on technical details of some kind? Or is a film that guts you in some way (3 Kings, No Country for Old Men, Munich, Blade Runner 2...?)

Not snarking at all. I always wonder. Films that make millions are dismissed as "pandering to the lowest common denominator" (tho possibly well-acted with good positive heroic messages) but then you get stuff like "There Will Be Blood" and it makes little in theaters and few see it, by comparison.

Can't there be categories of greatness by genre? Just don't think it's reasonable to cross compare some of these films.

I really with this was somewhere close to me. I never actually saw TDK in the theater so it would be cool to do it now. Sucks is basically North East only.

Ok so its the 10th anniversary of TDK, one of the best films of the 21st centaury imo and it is getting a limited run out at cinemas . I watched the original at the cinema and have watched it on DVD many times now, so I might not bother seeing it on the silver screen again but it is also the 50th Anniversary of one of the greatest films of the 20th century, 2001 A Space Odyssey. I would love to see that on the big screen, Owing to the fact I didn't exist when it was originally released. I hope it gets a showing at a local Cinema to me.

There is a theater near us that plays classic movies on Sundays sometimes and it’s awesome. I have gone back and watched Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Wall Street and I just saw for the first time ever Casablanca. I was hoping this was going to be at that theater but NOPE.

Ok so its the 10th anniversary of TDK, one of the best films of the 21st centaury imo and it is getting a limited run out at cinemas . I watched the original at the cinema and have watched it on DVD many times now, so I might not bother seeing it on the silver screen again but it is also the 50th Anniversary of one of the greatest films of the 20th century, 2001 A Space Odyssey. I would love to see that on the big screen, Owing to the fact I didn't exist when it was originally released. I hope it gets a showing at a local Cinema to me.

:clap:goodpost::exactly:

Even you don't believe that deep down :lol

I honestly, wholeheartedly believe it.

And I like TDKR for what it is. But even w/ the "Gotham will watch it's destruction" or whatever lip service they threw at it, keeping the police alive in a sewer is stupider than teddy bear log power IMO. And Ewok stealing a speeder bike > that one Jack Black looking cop running. Or should I say less cringey?

Nolan was definitely having a laugh at some points. I mean, Bruce Wayne's bed is a big pair of ****.

boobs.jpg

I honestly, wholeheartedly believe it.

And I like TDKR for what it is. But even w/ the "Gotham will watch it's destruction" or whatever lip service they threw at it, keeping the police alive in a sewer is stupider than teddy bear log power IMO. And Ewok stealing a speeder bike > that one Jack Black looking cop running. Or should I say less cringey?

Is there a gif or meme of the cop you're talking about? :lol

Back