The Dark Knight 10th Aniversary Theatrical Rerelease

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be prepared for a full blown parody ala Gremlins 2 and you should be fine.

:lol I’ll keep that in mind. And dang I was looking forward to goldblum too... Didn’t think you could overdo him. Your comments have piqued my interest tho, as you’ve warmed to it over time.

Also I never saw antman and never intend to.

I’ve got to say that it is extremely difficult to really come up with a greatest film of the 21st century. I think it speaks to a few things in particular. Foremost being the sheer glut of genre content, and, on the other end of the spectrum, the beer constant plethora of pretentious tripe that are so caught up in themselves as to capture attention in the short term, but utterly fail to sustainably capture an audience’s attention. I don’t understand if I’m just looking at it wrong or what, but, truthfully, I don’t think we’ve seen this generation’s Casablanca. I don’t think there’s been a film in the 21st century that can enthrall you like The Godfather, and I don’t know if that speaks more to the quality of the films or just our perception; as though, perhaps, enough time hasn’t passed to validate them as truly great films.

It’s just weird being in the milennium, I guess, and I think sometimes we overlook the fact that the Casablancas and The Godfathers or, even, films like Raiders of the Lost Ark didn’t come until near or even during the second half of the century, so, I guess, when you contextualize it that way, comparatively, everything we’ve seen to this point is the 21st century would be the equivalent of asking “what the greatest film of the 20th century is” between Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat, Birth of a Nation, and A Trip to the Moon. I just can’t determine if we just haven’t seen the films that will define this century, yet, because the artists who will create them haven’t been born, yet, or if film as a medium has become so commodified that we’re becoming increasingly incapable of creating art that truly resonates with people.

I’m struggling to think of a film that I would say could qualify as the “best of the 21st century,” thus far, and, the truth is: I have no idea. I have a few favorite movies, like Hell or High Water and The Fighter. As far as superhero movies go, I’d probably say that Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Winter Soldier, and Spider-Man:Homecoming are probably my favorites, but, again, it feels like you’re grading on a different scale when it comes to genre stuff. A 95% for the latest MCU film doesn’t feel like the 100% for a movie like Cool Hand Luke. It’s like we’re grading on a curve; like Daytime Emmys vs. Regular Emmys. There’s no such thing as objectively “good” art because all art is inherently subjective, but these are just some of my feelings on this seemingly endless debate over “the best movies of the 21st century.”

Does No Country for Old Men count? That's definitely a favorite of mine.

Sorry for contributing to the thread derailment. :monkey3

Maybe my statment was too bold? Claiming TDK was best film of the 21st century, so far...
Maybe if I had worded it slightly different. TDK is the best film of the last 18 years, it might of been more acceptable.

If only Nolan stopped here and didn’t made that God awful Dark Knight Rises, then it would have been something special.

No blockbuster or superhero crap can be "the best film of this... " year/decade/century.

TDK is absolutely a GEM of the 21st Century.

It's all subjective, but these would be my other picks:

There Will Be Blood
Spirited Away
Inception (my Nolan pick IF I had to choose)
Amélie
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Lost in Translation

Well I don't care if I get ridiculed. The best film of the 21st century was, in fact, a comic book movie.

ed-harris-a-history-of-violence.png

No blockbuster or superhero crap can be "the best film of this... " year/decade/century.

I would tend to agree, there are probably some art films that have been made in the last 18 years that I have never heard of but which are far more artistically made then your main stream movie blockbuster. On the other hand this is the SSF forum and most of us enjoy Superhero/Action/Sci Fi escapism films.

Back