1/6 The Dark Knight - 1/6th scale Two Face Collectible Figure (Toy Fairs 2019) Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, no businessman including Howard is going to admit to collusion or being strong armed. Disney has the two biggest and most important properties to his business by far, so of course Hot Toys will generally prioritize them first, second, and third. The rest of the pleb licenses they hold are left to hope and pray they get tossed a bone every now and then, which is what happened here with Two Face. DC is far from the only franchise that suffers from this. There are many egregious examples of figures that haven't been made...Doc Brown part 1, Sarah Connor, etc, etc, etc.

Assuming you mean Star Wars, I don't know that I'd agree that it can be mentioned in the same breath as Marvel merchandise anymore. SW merch seems to be tanking left and right these days, including the entire billion dollar Galaxy's Edge theme park.

You'll see more non-Disney figures when another IP has a rapidly growing, annualized series with dozens of marketable characters and actors that completely dominates the film market and is the biggest franchise in film history. .

Even if Hot Toys milked every drop of product out of the last thirty years of Batman films, they would still be producing more Marvel figures than Batman, because there is simply more to make, and demand to meet it. More films, more characters, in more unique looks... Marvel's franchise is tailor made to sell toys. Even when Batman dominated the toy market, Kenner had to make up dozens of variant Batman figures because there was simply not enough characters to make figures of that consumers actually cared about. There was demand for Batman, as there is always demand for Batman, but there wasn't enough actual CONTENT to turn into toys to meet that demand--hence Arctic Attack Batman and so on.

For a company like Hot Toys, having a constant stream of new characters with new looks in new films is basically their lifeblood, and no film franchise is delivering that at the speed and volume that Marvel currently does. You'd have to look at decades of Bond films for the closest comparison to what Marvel has done in ten years.

DC tried to produce a competing product and came up short. That breaks my heart, honestly, but it is what it is. Until DC's film product can compete with Marvel, Marvel will continue to dominate HT production.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Burton received a producing credit for Batman Forever but he actually had nothing to do with the film. WB thought his name would help sell the movie.

He had some involvement and they kept some of his ideas like the Riddler and Harvey Dent, although Burton wanted Robin Williams and Billy Dee Williams to reprise the Dent role. He had a small amount of involvement I know, but I can't say it was zero. And Batman Returns didn't do as well as they hoped. The decline started with that and got the WB execs questioning was Burton right for the franchise. In the end I think they are all to blame.

Assuming you mean Star Wars, I don't know that I'd agree that it can be mentioned in the same breath as Marvel merchandise anymore. SW merch seems to be tanking left and right these days, including the entire billion dollar Galaxy's Edge theme park.

Definitely second fiddle now, especially outside of North America and Europe. But still the second biggest franchise by far.

And the top tier OT stuff still sells off the shelves. The newer stuff struggles. Awfully coincidental that the Star Wars brand is struggling on the heels of The Last Jedi, don't you think?

Awfully coincidental that the Star Wars brand is struggling on the heels of The Last Jedi, don't you think?

Oh no question. Solo's box office, TLJ figures collecting literal dust on store shelves, and now Galaxy's Edge. I don't think that anyone can wonder whether or not TLJ did damage to the brand at this point. We'll see if it's repairable in the coming months/years.

sorry, none of you know what their relationship is with Disney, Marvel, DC, WB, etc.

No, but we know what Disney's relationship is with other businesses in general and their general modus operandi over the years. It's not a secret - it's a matter of historical record. Disney is about as dirty as it gets.

When the cookie jar is empty and Little Johnny McCookies has a long-standing history of constantly stealing cookies from the cookie jar....well, then it's not at all absurd to suggest that maybe Little Johnny is the reason the jar is currently empty.

Your just speculating and spreading rumors.

Yeah, I am speculating, but if the shoe fits...

Howard has said it over and over for years. If you don't believe him, then thats your issue I guess.

What has Howard said? When? Where?

If you can't provide a source and a quote, then you can't say "Howard said it." You're just making facts up.

To be fair, no businessman including Howard is going to admit to collusion or being strong armed. Disney has the two biggest and most important properties to his business by far, so of course Hot Toys will generally prioritize them first, second, and third. The rest of the pleb licenses they hold are left to hope and pray they get tossed a bone every now and then, which is what happened here with Two Face. DC is far from the only franchise that suffers from this. There are many egregious examples of figures that haven't been made...Doc Brown part 1, Sarah Connor, etc, etc, etc.

Exactly. DC isn't the only one getting screwed by the Mouse - it's just the one that most of us here probably care the most about (given that this is a DC sub-forum). But anyone who wanted non-DC figures is suffering as well.

You'll see more non-Disney figures when another IP has a rapidly growing, annualized series with dozens of marketable characters and actors that completely dominates the film market and is the biggest franchise in film history. .

Even if Hot Toys milked every drop of product out of the last thirty years of Batman films, they would still be producing more Marvel figures than Batman, because there is simply more to make, and demand to meet it. More films, more characters, in more unique looks... Marvel's franchise is tailor made to sell toys. Even when Batman dominated the toy market, Kenner had to make up dozens of variant Batman figures because there was simply not enough characters to make figures of that consumers actually cared about. There was demand for Batman, as there is always demand for Batman, but there wasn't enough actual CONTENT to turn into toys to meet that demand--hence Arctic Attack Batman and so on.

For a company like Hot Toys, having a constant stream of new characters with new looks in new films is basically their lifeblood, and no film franchise is delivering that at the speed and volume that Marvel currently does. You'd have to look at decades of Bond films for the closest comparison to what Marvel has done in ten years.

DC tried to produce a competing product and came up short. That breaks my heart, honestly, but it is what it is. Until DC's film product can compete with Marvel, Marvel will continue to dominate HT production.

I don't think you really understand what the issue is.

People aren't complaining that "Hot Toys is making more characters for Marvel movies than for DC movies."

The issue is that "Hot Toys is making ALL the characters for Marvel and not even the main characters for DC movies."

Yeah, Marvel makes more movies. It makes sense that, if every property was given a fair shake, that there would be more Marvel figures - and no one would complain. But when you get every Marvel character, variant outfit, and cameo produced, but can't even be bothered to release the main villains of Batman '66 or Batman Returns or Batman Begins...then yeah, it becomes something bigger than just "Marvel has more movies so they get more figures."

And don't get me started on "more unique looks." The variation in costumes between Keaton Batman, Pfeiffer Catwoman, and Devito Penguin is much greater than between Iron Man Suit Mark 53 and Iron Man Suit Mark 54.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The galling part of that is Marvel wouldn't have that dominant franchise without copying DC characters in the first place. Most of my friends and I suspect the general audience have no idea Deadpool and Thanos for example are blatant rip offs from DC.

The galling part of that is Marvel wouldn't have that dominant franchise without copying DC characters in the first place. Most of my friends and I suspect the general audience have no idea Deadpool and Thanos for example are blatant rip offs from DC.

So is it Marvel's fault that they did justice to their characters before DC? DC could have made an epic Darkseid movie at any time prior to 2018. Hell they even had their own "Infinity War/Endgame" primed and ready to go back in 2016 with the Knightmare apocalypse and Flash going back in time after the damage had been done to try and correct things but they chose to ****can the entire production. They have no one to blame but themselves.

What has Howard said? When? Where?

If you can't provide a source and a quote, then you can't say "Howard said it." You're just making facts up.

i guess you never read any of his interviews then? OSR has done several of them with him over the years. you can find them on here or facebook, twitter usually. they always ask him about production on certain pieces and he’s said many times about waiting for the licensor approval. Romero Joker and Dr Shaw from Prometheus are just 2 off the top of my head because i was interested in those. He even talked about why the 66 Batmobile wasn’t made. but there are many others mentioned in those interviews over the years. it would take time to dig them out but i’m sure others on here have read them. Do a search for “Howard” here on Freaks you will find them.

i guess you never read any of his interviews then? OSR has done several of them with him over the years. you can find them on here or facebook, twitter usually. they always ask him about production on certain pieces and he’s said many times about waiting for the licensor approval. Romero Joker and Dr Shaw from Prometheus are just 2 off the top of my head because i was interested in those. He even talked about why the 66 Batmobile wasn’t made. but there are many others mentioned in those interviews over the years. it would take time to dig them out but i’m sure others on here have read them. Do a search for “Howard” here on Freaks you will find them.

I'm fairly certain Howard has made no comment about licensor approvals being the issue preventing:

-Batman Returns Penguin
-Batman Returns Catwoman
-Liam Neeson Ra's al Ghul

I'm happy to be proven wrong with a source, but I'm asserting that no such source exists because it's not true.

I do believe you may be right about the 66 Batmobile, though, as that vehicle (and to some extent, the series as a whole) is notorious for being a licensing/IP nightmare.

So is it Marvel's fault that they did justice to their characters before DC? DC could have made an epic Darkseid movie at any time prior to 2018. Hell they even had their own "Infinity War/Endgame" primed and ready to go back in 2016 with the Knightmare apocalypse and Flash going back in time after the damage had been done to try and correct things but they chose to ****can the entire production. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Well it's Marvel's fault they had chose to copy Darkseid rather than coming up with an original character. They should be paying royalties to DC for that.

I wasn't defending WB and agree with the exception of the Nolan movies they badly mismanaged DC properties since 1992.

I'm fairly certain Howard has made no comment about licensor approvals being the issue preventing:

-Batman Returns Penguin
-Batman Returns Catwoman
-Liam Neeson Ra's al Ghul

I'm happy to be proven wrong with a source, but I'm asserting that no such source exists because it's not true.

I do believe you may be right about the 66 Batmobile, though, as that vehicle (and to some extent, the series as a whole) is notorious for being a licensing/IP nightmare.

I know he was asked about Catwoman and Penguin and Romero Joker. In 2014 he said there was a licensing issue.
1zcmyhe.jpg

then in 2017 he's said Catwoman would probably be made before Penguin. And the 66 Batmobile he simply said they don't have plans for it at that moment. As far as Romero he said "when the timing is right"

2017 interview:
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/fo...o-interview-evasive-annoying-howard-chan.html

As far as Ra's i know he's been ask about him too. I can dig it up. But his answer was in the vein of "like to maybe someday".

If that first interview was genuine (and some of it does give me pause) this is my response 5 years on

Due to licensing issues we have to push back these figures to 2015 or even 2016

NECA were able to make a Catwoman and 2 Penguins. What licensing issues? But maybe that was in reference to the Back to the Future part of the question. Those figures have in fairness since come out.

We have plans to revive the Colonial Marines

o7b1Jw2.gif

I call bull***t.

How about the 1/4 scale Predators?

We are still reviewing the AVP lines, nothing is confirmed as of now

So what the **** was this for?

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...ators-avp-avp-1-6-1-4-scale-announcement.html

Why did you make this announcement all the way back in 2011?

We are going to announce this great news now - we are bringing to fans not only the 1/6th scale, but also the 1/4th scale collectible figures of the Predator movie series - Predator, Predator 2, Predators, Alien vs. Predator (AVP) and Aliens vs Predator – Requiem (AVPR)!

It will be surely an enhancing of the details and quality level! And the mask and some of the body armors will be made by die-casting!

Moreover, we will be bringing the collectible of Dutch featuring our beloved actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1/4th scale too!

Fans, please stay tuned!

The 1/6 line was already a thing so the only real reason for this announcement was the 1/4 aspect. They even embellish it with mention of diecast biomasks and armor.

'Stay tuned'. 8 years later and not one quarter scale Predator has been made, nor Dutch. I wonder why people get pissed off with Hot Toys....

Last edited:
I think Howard is full of **** with contradictory answers.

3F6E4AA4-99EB-4DB0-B47E-18E94F925544.jpeg
BF8ED077-EF1E-4C32-97E9-0717AA5298D5.jpeg

:lol

Man. Think about that for a second. That announcement for 1/6 and 1/4 figures was 7 years ago.

Curious how long their contracts last for licenses last anyway. Why have Hot Toys been allowed to hold the Dark Knight license for 10+ years now when a company like Enterbay loses it within only 2? Why is Hot Toys allowed to put a stranglehold on all these licenses they do nothing with?

The simple answer is that they will always find a way to make the products that their market research says will sell the best and be the most profitable.

“Life, uh, finds a way.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well whatever. it is what it is. i've exhausted myself of this debate, so carry on with your normal programming.

Back