1/6 The Dark Knight - 1/6th scale Two Face Collectible Figure (Toy Fairs 2019) Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was more than happy with 1/4 TDKR Batman and 1/4 Joker being my only Nolan figures, but I think I’m going to have to jump in and grab everyone else in 1/6. Hopefully this guy does well and we finally get Ras and Scarecrow. I’m fine to just hunt everyone else down if need be, but I’ll take reprises if they make ‘em. Still, I wouldn’t have thought twice if this were Penguin and/or Catwoman. Those two really need to come out. It’s been long enough.

I don't think there's any great mystery behind why Hot Toys decides to make what they make, and when. I'm sure it's all about sales.

Since production capacity is a finite resource, I'm sure that they're thinking "Well, we can dedicate this production window to Penguin or another Iron Man. Iron Man will sell more. Decision made."

Marvel is prioritized because Marvel is surely their highest selling line, which necessitates abandoning or delaying other projects. It sucks, for sure, but I get it. Even I, a diehard DC fan, buy way more Marvel figures than DC figures, because DC films have been sucking hard since 2013. Marvel cranks out good movies every year, and good movies surely drive figure sales. Making the case to delay a Marvel figure in favour of a Penguin from 1992 has got to be a hard in the halls of Hot Toys.

I would definitely prefer to see a wider variety of properties, certainly more older properties, but I get why it probably doesn't make business sense.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

All true but their practice of announcing things and then going silent and never releasing anything is really ***ty of them, but of course they still hold that license so no one else can make anything. Or taking a license people are excited about and making.....one figure, the sales of which would probably be better if people had any confidence that it'd be followed up with at least one companion figure. That's the stuff that really grinds people's gears.

Last edited:
All true but their practice of announcing things and then going silent and never releasing anything is really ***ty of them, but of course they still hold that license so no one else can make anything. Or taking a license people are excited about and making.....one figure, the sales of which would probably be better if people had any confidence that it'd be followed up with at least one companion figure. That's the stuff that really grinds people's gears.
For sure; it's a crap situation for us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The quarter scale Begins and TDK Joker are pretty recent entries and they have been very mediocre attempts. Hot Toys didn’t do anything ground breaking with them. I don’t think Hot Toys is capable of improving on the Armory TDK Batman or DX 11 Joker honestly. We’d probably just see slight rereleases of things that have already been done, like the minor differences from OC Batman to Toy Fair Begins, or DX 12 Batman to Armory Batman, the straight rereleases of the Tumbler and Batpod etc. etc. Probably be lame “new” stuff like this,

View attachment 459994

It’d be complete BS if they start going back and doing redos of Nolan Batman stuff instead of,

- releasing Romero Joker
- releasing the Arkham Batgirl
- finishing the Batman Returns line with Catwoman and Penguin
- making a Ra’s Al Ghul
- doing a quarter scale Nicholson and Keaton

With Justice League and the DCEU dead and buried, they have a couple of years before The Batman comes where they can focus on producing things they actually teased and showed off. Now is the time to do it. If they start doing Ledger Joker and Bale Batman 5.0s, Bane, Catwoman, John Blake and Scarecrow 2.0s, that would be super disappointing. I want to see new stuff get done, things that have never been done before that have the potential to be exciting and successful.

I’d rather see Kilmer Batman and Chris O’Donnell Robin done in 1/6 instead another Bale and Ledger.

Here here ......tap tap!

Seconded.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Just saw this on SSC's site. Very cool! The original had its charm, but was never as high end as it could be. This should go nice on display with my DX. . .whatever number it was Joker and Dark Knight Bats.

Just saw this on SSC's site. Very cool! The original had its charm, but was never as high end as it could be. This should go nice on display with my DX. . .whatever number it was Joker and Dark Knight Bats.

DX11 and DX12, respectively. Definitely agree that this very is much better looking. Alot of improvement with the Suit tailoring :clap

Marvel is prioritized because Marvel is surely their highest selling line, which necessitates abandoning or delaying other projects.

The reason Marvel is a high selling line is because Hot Toys went to the effort to try and make it a high selling line. By releasing many figures, they inspire collectors to "complete their collection" and get the whole set. This drives interest, in a feedback loop, which drives further production, etc.

One of the reasons for the great success of the "The Dark Knight" line of figures is because they made so many different characters. Multiple Bat-men, multiple Jokers, Two-Face - even Scarecrow. When TDKR came out, they followed up with six characters and seven figures.

"Batman Returns" was eagerly anticipated - but after years of delays, and the expectation that there would be no follow-ups in the form of Catwoman or Penguin, meant interest was low. This had nothing to do with figure quality or interest in the property - it was all in what was offered, how it was offered, and most importantly, what wasn't offered.

If Hot Toys was interested in Batman continuing to be a high selling line, then it very well could have made it so. Batman is pretty much a license to print money when it comes to any form of merchandising. Their business decisions seem to be self-defeating - one can either assume incompetence or ulterior motives from other sources. Given that it actually seems to be a profitable business, I rule out incompetence. Given that Disney already has a huge history of business shenanigans, and that they seem to be the ones profiting from the Hot Toys situation that we're complaining about, I tend to think that's the most likely explanation. The old maxim of "Follow the Money" tends to be worth considering.

It sucks, for sure, but I get it. Even I, a diehard DC fan, buy way more Marvel figures than DC figures, because DC films have been sucking hard since 2013.

The success of the movies since 2013 has little to do with the demand for figures from 90s movies, 60s TV shows, or recent video games. If anything, recent failures will drive interest in older properties.

The reason Marvel is a high selling line is because Hot Toys went to the effort to try and make it a high selling line. By releasing many figures, they inspire collectors to "complete their collection" and get the whole set. This drives interest, in a feedback loop, which drives further production, etc.

One of the reasons for the great success of the "The Dark Knight" line of figures is because they made so many different characters. Multiple Bat-men, multiple Jokers, Two-Face - even Scarecrow. When TDKR came out, they followed up with six characters and seven figures.

"Batman Returns" was eagerly anticipated - but after years of delays, and the expectation that there would be no follow-ups in the form of Catwoman or Penguin, meant interest was low. This had nothing to do with figure quality or interest in the property - it was all in what was offered, how it was offered, and most importantly, what wasn't offered.

If Hot Toys was interested in Batman continuing to be a high selling line, then it very well could have made it so. Batman is pretty much a license to print money when it comes to any form of merchandising. Their business decisions seem to be self-defeating - one can either assume incompetence or ulterior motives from other sources. Given that it actually seems to be a profitable business, I rule out incompetence. Given that Disney already has a huge history of business shenanigans, and that they seem to be the ones profiting from the Hot Toys situation that we're complaining about, I tend to think that's the most likely explanation. The old maxim of "Follow the Money" tends to be worth considering.

The success of the movies since 2013 has little to do with the demand for figures from 90s movies, 60s TV shows, or recent video games. If anything, recent failures will drive interest in older properties.

Speculate all you want, but Howard has told why things get delayed many times. It's almost always the licensor.

Last edited:

If Hot Toys was interested in Batman continuing to be a high selling line, then it very well could have made it so. Batman is pretty much a license to print money when it comes to any form of merchandising. Their business decisions seem to be self-defeating - one can either assume incompetence or ulterior motives from other sources. Given that it actually seems to be a profitable business, I rule out incompetence. Given that Disney already has a huge history of business shenanigans, and that they seem to be the ones profiting from the Hot Toys situation that we're complaining about I tend to think that's the most likely explanation. The old maxim of "Follow the Money" tends to be worth considering.

Yup. Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Speculate all you want, but Howard has told why things get delayed many times. It's almost always the licensor.

So why have Catwoman, Penguin and Romero Joker been delayed. It’s been 5 years for the former.

Warner Bros is the licensor, what has Howard’s reasoning been?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there and article where Howard had mentioned that Returns Catwoman was coming but didn't give any other details other than that.

Yup, no you’re right. That was a long time ago. Also I remember them specifically mentioning that Batman and the Penguin would come out in December of 2012 in a QnA.

I do not recall a single interview where DC/WB licensing were delayed because of the licensor. Not for the figures people are talking about anyway.

To add to Haytil’s points and argument, Hot Toys don’t even do QnA interviews anymore. Their communication with the customer base is pretty much non-existent.

I wrote a longer post, but I ended up deleting it because there’s really only one thing to be said: even if Disney was, indeed, compelling Hot Toys to de-prioritize other franchises in favour of producing more Disney product, the only reason Hot Toys would agree to such terms is if it was more profitable to keep the Disney licenses than any other. It surely is, because Marvel is the most popular film franchise on the planet today.

If licensing was an issue how would the numerous other figure/statue companies have been able to produce multiple versions of Penguin and Catwoman?

If licensing was an issue how would the numerous other figure/statue companies have been able to produce multiple versions of Penguin and Catwoman?

Yes, Hot Toys possesses these licences (for 1/6 and 1/4) and yet seems to be uniquely restricted from releasing anything by the licensor? The same licensor that allows other companies to make smaller scale figures, statues and so forth? Makes no sense.

I wrote a longer post, but I ended up deleting it because there’s really only one thing to be said: even if Disney was, indeed, compelling Hot Toys to de-prioritize other franchises in favour of producing more Disney product, the only reason Hot Toys would agree to such terms is if it was more profitable to keep the Disney licenses than any other. It surely is, because Marvel is the most popular film franchise on the planet today.

Yes, this is what I'm saying.

Selling a bunch of Disney and a little non-Disney will of course be more profitable than selling a bunch of non-Disney and selling ZERO Disney. Keep in mind that Disney isn't just Marvel - it's also Star Wars.

That's why when the Mouse puts the squeeze on, Hot Toys (and anyone else) naturally caves. It's not that DC isn't profitable - it's that other, external influences are also at play. So I just think it's disingenuous to suggest that "Hot Toys doesn't do Batman or DC because they're not as profitable as Marvel." The reality is that "Hot Toys doesn't do Batman or DC because Disney doesn't want them to and Hot Toys doesn't want to piss off Disney."

(And this is why media consolidation and monopolization is a BAD thing for consumers).

"Breaking on InfoWars, Disney won't let Hot Toys do DC figures.":panic:

sorry, none of you know what their relationship is with Disney, Marvel, DC, WB, etc. Your just speculating and spreading rumors. Howard has said it over and over for years. If you don't believe him, then thats your issue I guess.

To be fair, no businessman including Howard is going to admit to collusion or being strong armed. Disney has the two biggest and most important properties to his business by far, so of course Hot Toys will generally prioritize them first, second, and third. The rest of the pleb licenses they hold are left to hope and pray they get tossed a bone every now and then, which is what happened here with Two Face. DC is far from the only franchise that suffers from this. There are many egregious examples of figures that haven't been made...Doc Brown part 1, Sarah Connor, etc, etc, etc.

Burton produced Batman Forever. Thats what I was referring to and then it ran into the ground, thats why i said Burton/Schumacher. I wasn't referring to 89 or Returns. WB wanted more merch friendly films. Batman Forever actually made more money than Returns, but it got critically panned.

Burton received a producing credit for Batman Forever but he actually had nothing to do with the film. WB thought his name would help sell the movie.

Back