The current state of DC 1/6 collectibles . . . DEAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yeah, today is that big multimedia "DC ALL STARS EVENT", and it sucks the big one.

Look at this forum,

View attachment 481037

Harley Quinn, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, video game Batgirl, knock off Catwoman. This is it, isn't it? This hobby used to be poppin' with exciting news and announcements for figures. Now it's just a bunch of ugly looking doll variants of characters that have already been done. That gaudy armored gold Wonder Woman looks awful. That's the only new item that Hot Toys could conjure up?

Is that the only thing that sells these days? Video game Batman repaints (from a game series that is 5 years old now), Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman? Advertisements showing long sold out figures and COSBABIES? So stale.

It's sad. There's NO excitement for these products. Hot Toys sucks now.

The market is moving into $100 1:12 figures now.

1/6 has become overpriced and now the big boys only offer for sure characters.

Exactly, not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. HT is a business, they?re not your friends, they?ll invest in what will generate them money.

George Reeves Superman?.....Faora?..... not enough people care about this stuff and HT will not cater to a few fanboy fantasies.

I understand the demand is not high but I'm not expecting them to produce as many Faoras as they would for Thanos. Either way, Batman is a popular character; It boggles my mind that they cannot get around to making a QS Keaton. That wouldn't generate them some cash? The Joker, another highly popular character - can't they get around to producing the Cesar Romero Jokers that they already made a prototype for?! Isn't there enough interest for a 1966 Batmobile? "Fanboy fantasies" or not, Faora releasing during the time of Man of Steel would have outsold whatever they made from their Pepper Potts figure.

I understand the demand is not high but I'm not expecting them to produce as many Faoras as they would for Thanos. Either way, Batman is a popular character; It boggles my mind that they cannot get around to making a QS Keaton. That wouldn't generate them some cash? The Joker, another highly popular character - can't they get around to producing the Cesar Romero Jokers that they already made a prototype for?! Isn't there enough interest for a 1966 Batmobile? "Fanboy fantasies" or not, Faora releasing during the time of Man of Steel would have outsold whatever they made from their Pepper Potts figure.

I agree, Faora released during MOS would have been fine, but not now.

As for something like Cesar Joker, i actually do think that would do very well, but i just think HT are so inundated with current licenses that certain figures get placed to the back end. At the end of the day, they?ll sell 40000 Iron Men and only 1000 Cesar?s, so business wise they will go with the bigger sell.

Sometimes they?ll take a chance (Alita,Hellboy) but they are announced when those products are actually in the public eye, not 10 years later. Sometimes it?s just a business timing/rare opportunity situation, like a luck of the draw.

Would Faora had sold well? BBTS had to practically give away Zod to clear out their stock of him.

The market is moving into $100 1:12 figures now.

1/6 has become overpriced and now the big boys only offer for sure characters.

EVILFACE! HOW HAVE YA BEEN?

IckyAgileGreatdane-size_restricted.gif

You're all blaming Hot Toys, but blame DC themselves for making garbage movies with little fanfare. Hot Toys doesn't suck, they just make figures people actually want, and people want Marvel because Marvel stuff is selling and viewed positively by a vast majority.

If we had a DC Universe like Marvel, we'd be getting a bunch more figures. If we had DC movies that were good, we would be getting way more figures.

Why do you think they slowed way down on Star Wars ST stuff? ST sucks, collectors don't buy it, they stop making it.

DC just isn't that popular and doesn't have very popular movies coming out now. I don't know why people would expect them to go back into the past, they hardly do that for anything besides Star Wars. They're not going to make a George Reeves Superman lol, come on.

DC is popular. The problem is that WB and the people in charge of the movies are idiots

You're all blaming Hot Toys, but blame DC themselves for making garbage movies with little fanfare. Hot Toys doesn't suck, they just make figures people actually want, and people want Marvel because Marvel stuff is selling and viewed positively by a vast majority.

If we had a DC Universe like Marvel, we'd be getting a bunch more figures. If we had DC movies that were good, we would be getting way more figures.

Why do you think they slowed way down on Star Wars ST stuff? ST sucks, collectors don't buy it, they stop making it.

I never got 1 Poe in 3 movies. I really wanted him.

I never got 1 Poe in 3 movies. I really wanted him.

That’s still shocking they haven’t released him yet. Part of the Big 3 of heroes, I’d say a main character in his trilogy in the sense of Han/Leia were in theres... and nothing. Just shows how hard the ST sales bombed if they don’t have faith in him selling.

I think it would have been the most Star War-ish figure to come from the ST. Proto looked really good. I don’t even like the ST since TLJ and would have contemplated buying it.

Personally, I think after collecting Hot Toys for 10 years now I know better than to have a wishlist or expect them to work on something. It just doesn't work that way with HT and I've long made peace with it. I'll never find contentment if I put stock in a market outside my whim and control.

DC isnt very popular and their movies have sucked. They may as well make a wonder twins film.

Batman is cool once in a while. In 1989 it had been 23 years since the last batman movie, but even with 1992s batman returns we were getting silly villains. Then it took another 16 years for a good batman film, which was great because they saved the joker for the sequel. You cant make a series of batman films close together because he is a boring character who doesnt evolve. Thats why TDKR was so interesting because he was forced into his 50s so while he nor his villains didnt really evolve, gotham city and the US did.

Personally, I think after collecting Hot Toys for 10 years now I know better than to have a wishlist or expect them to work on something. It just doesn't work that way with HT and I've long made peace with it. I'll never find contentment if I put stock in a market outside my whim and control.

A truer thing was never said! :lecture

For my part, I've accepted I'm no longer their primary target demographic, and for the foreseeable future my *active* 1/6th collecting days are over. Maybe I'll go back to working on customs or look at older figures I may have missed, although anything pre-2012 generally hasn't got the quality I prefer.

I don't think I'll return to 1/12 scale in any significant way, but who knows what the market will throw at us in the years to come. This was never my only hobby anyway, so I'll keep myself entertained.

I wonder if any of this stuff even really sells as much as it used to, the Marvel stuff included.

Each year there seems to be less and less interest. Makes me wonder how many figures actually sell.

All things considered I think DC is looking fairly well. They’ve been making not so great movies, and yet this year we’ve gotten two Harley figures from Birds of Prey, a repaint of the Arkham Knight Batman, Arkham Batgirl.

Plus at this show Arkham Harley was revealed and Batman Forever Batman (I think Robin too) are on display. The DC films have been hit and miss at best, and even with their major flop of a film with Birds of Prey we’re still getting two figures, granted because of the popularity of Harley Quinn but still.

DC isnt very popular and their movies have sucked. They may as well make a wonder twins film.

Batman is cool once in a while. In 1989 it had been 23 years since the last batman movie, but even with 1992s batman returns we were getting silly villains. Then it took another 16 years for a good batman film, which was great because they saved the joker for the sequel. You cant make a series of batman films close together because he is a boring character who doesnt evolve. Thats why TDKR was so interesting because he was forced into his 50s so while he nor his villains didnt really evolve, gotham city and the US did.

DC isn't popular. Batman a boring character. WTF? You didn't count Batman Begins as a good film either so that's just crazy.

Wonder Woman, Aquman and Joker were hugely successful movies. BoP despite under performing will more than make it's money back. MoS compares well to other recent origin movies. The only outright bomb was Justice League.

And gimmicky, “silly villains” are the bread and butter of Batman. No character has a more intriguing rogues gallery.

Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, etc.

Hot Toys has tapped into like 5% of what they could do from all the lines they’ve obtained. So many iconic and colorful villains ranging from the 60s show, to the Burton films, to the Schumacher films to the Arkham games that they could have given us in the past 10 years.

But no, instead they instead made these losers,

B062DCC9-0D97-4F4F-B42D-5EE89C04BB16.jpeg35D3A4F7-14F3-479F-B945-82739E2DD456.jpeg8CCC5A75-C37C-491B-84B9-9AD9D7589762.jpeg

Any one of those could have been a Ninja Ra’s Al Ghul or a Frank Gorshin Riddler or an Arkham Mr. Freeze or a Returns Catwoman.

And gimmicky, ?silly villains? are the bread and butter of Batman. No character has a more intriguing rogues gallery.

Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, etc.

Hot Toys has tapped into like 5% of what they could do from all the lines they?ve obtained. So many iconic and colorful villains ranging from the 60s show, to the Burton films, to the Schumacher films to the Arkham games that they could have given us in the past 10 years.

But no, instead they instead made these losers,

View attachment 481091View attachment 481092View attachment 481093

Any one of those could have been a Ninja Ra?s Al Ghul or a Frank Gorshin Riddler or an Arkham Mr. Freeze or a Returns Catwoman.

:clap :goodpost:

We all knew this but when you lay it all out succinctly and with photos...oh man...what colossal cluster****** of missed opportunities and poor creative direction. :slap

Back