The Cabin in the Woods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ending was awesome. But more so if you look at it outside of the movie. The deeper meaning of it all.

That's why I don't like it. I'm not into "funny" horror. I will admit I laughed at parts. But that's not what I want nor expect out of a good horror film.

I see what your saying. I didn't expect what the movie was going to flush out like at all honestly. I knew there was gonna be some sorta twist like with the white room in the elevators shown in the trailers but I didn't know it was going to be like that at all. I pictured something more like the cube I guess...especially with all the torture horror these days.

Now, I like all kinds of horror...serious and funny ones alike. Brain Dead and shaun of the dead are two of the top ones for me. But I am still terrified of night of the living dead and I absolutely adore 80's slashers. My closest friend collects obscure horror vhs and I have a pretty good knowledge of that stuff.

That being said, I went in this movie expecting the cube meets friday the 13th via saw. I was so happy it wasn't like that at all. Honestly, I was pretty much glued to the screen and was digging everything that was going on.

I guess what seems strange to me is making a distinction between funny horror and good horror. Why can't it be a good, funny horror movie? It doesn't seem like they ever intended it to be a serious horror film. It's obviously hugely influenced by the funny side of horror and I didn't feel like it was very wink,wink to the audience either.

And if you laughed at a few spots, it seems like you were getting some sort of enjoyment out of it. You don't have to dislike it because it didn't match up to some criteria. But I just can't relate to that I think. I really try to have like no expectations and just accept ____ for how it plays out in front of me. If a movie can make me laugh, keep me entertained, and completely distract me from the idea that I'm watching a movie than it's a winner in my book.

'Funny horror' if that counts as a genre has a HELLUVA lot of great movies that fall within it.

I also know almost nothing about the writer and director...besides I just saw the avengers like most everyone else. I don't really know the body of work.

I find it funny that a movie that has recieved generally great reviews has only made $3,623,727 more than a movie that was pretty much panned by everyone, 2011's Conan The Barbarian.

So? This isn't a first or last. Bad example. Not every great reviewed makes a lot of money. I see a lot of movies make huge sums of cash and I go WTF?

The ones that are the biggest head scratchers are the Tyler Perry films. lol

Ok so idk if this has already been asked, but does anyone know which monster was related to the neckless the blond almost put on? For some reason its really bothering me that I dont know lol

So? This isn't a first or last. Bad example. Not every great reviewed makes a lot of money. I see a lot of movies make huge sums of cash and I go WTF?

The ones that are the biggest head scratchers are the Tyler Perry films. lol
May not mean anything to you but it sure puts things in perspective for me.

Ok so idk if this has already been asked, but does anyone know which monster was related to the neckless the blond almost put on? For some reason its really bothering me that I dont know lol

I think it's was to be just a general haunted bride kind of thing. I'm sure there was something on the lower levels to correspond to it.

Conan was awful.

But by that logic, I guess Transformers 2 is one of the best sequels of all time.

I find it funny that a movie that has recieved generally great reviews has only made $3,623,727 more than a movie that was pretty much panned by everyone, 2011's Conan The Barbarian.

Conan cost 90 million to make and made 21 million domestic and 27 million foreign...48 million total. -42 million dollars

From what I understand Cabin was bought for 20 million and has made 38 million domestic and 14 foreign so far....52 million and it's still going. +32 million dollars and counting

I am currently trying to read up on the stuff.

There were 5 hero objects.
1. The Conch
2. The Book
3. The Music Box
4. The Locket
5. The Mechanical Ball

These items were related directly to a creature and would have summoned it if used.

Every item in there was directly related to a monster or creature of course. But those were the 5 main ones shown to us.

In the book it shows Jules holding the locket/amulet and over top of the scene of her doing that, it shows the little girl (I think Buckner girl) in the black/white oval frame. But it cannot be related to her I assume because the book already is. I am looking, but not really getting a break down (yet) of what item brings which monsters.

Last edited:

I am currently trying to read up on the stuff.

There were 5 hero objects.
1. The Conch
2. The Book
3. The Music Box
4. The Locket
5. The Mechanical Ball

These items were related directly to a creature and would have summoned it if used.

Every item in there was directly related to a monster or creature of course. But those were the 5 main ones shown to us.

In the book it shows Jules holding the locket/amulet and over top of the scene of her doing that, it shows the little girl (I think Buckner girl) in the black/white oval frame. But it cannot be related to her I assume because the book already is. I am looking, but not really getting a break down (yet) of what item brings which monsters.

The little girl pictured is a Buckner.

On the betting tally board there is a monster called "The Bride" - but I don't see a picture in the book that could be her. I'm betting she was there though.

The conch was the Merman
the music box was the Sugar Plum Fairy - (little ballerina with the teeth)
Puzzle ball - Lord of Pain
book - Buckners
strange that the all the others got good screen time, but locket girl did not.

The little girl pictured is a Buckner.

On the betting tally board there is a monster called "The Bride" - but I don't see a picture in the book that could be her. I'm betting she was there though.

The conch was the Merman
the music box was the Sugar Plum Fairy - (little ballerina with the teeth)
Puzzle ball - Lord of Pain
book - Buckners
strange that the all the others got good screen time, but locket girl did not.

From watching the film, we all know what the items belong to. But I can't find the locket info, even in the book. Besides who it belonged to, since we clearly see that in the book. I want to know if something needed to be done with it, besides just putting it on. We do not get that info.

I saw this again last night. Tried to pick out any bits I missed the first time during the ending. I love this movie.

I was wondering...as far as the monster list goes what are some american horror things they may have missed? I'm trying to think of generic monsters that aren't covered. I'm sure there are a ton more that they could keep going with should there be another movie.

I finally saw this in the theater,
I have to say, i love parts of it, I really love parts of it, and I really hated some parts of it,

I loved the story, the idea is genius, is great, it is very refreshing and it explains all the clichés of horror movies and it does a great job, it is all part of the plan, I loved the way it sarted with the guys in tie, really great start for a horror movie, the idea is really great,but i hated the part of the movie in the Cabin, I didn't care,

I loved the Humor, really great funny jokes mixed with the humor, I love movies like this because they mix it up, I have the opposite reaction than some people here, I love serious horror movies when they are really good, but most horror movies are NOT really good, they are just either good or average, so adding some humor is really good, I am not saying that humor makes a bad movie good, or that humor is a good excuse to make a bad horror movie no, (Feast is a real big piece of S__t, Worst horror movie I've seen, is a comedy horror movie but is awful) no what I am saying is that some movies are not that serious and the humor adds to the enjoyment, which was clearly the case here, if this was a serious horror movie I don't know If it would have been the same, I might have hated it even more because the humor was one the things that kept me from really hating it, there were a couple of jokes that made me laugh out loud hard, like the Merman scene, hilarious, or when the guy punches the girl down, for some reason that made me laugh a lot
I also loved some of the writing, very quirky very smart writing in a couple of parts, the jokes were funny but clever too,
I love the acting overall, the pothead guy was amazing, he was really awesome, I loved his character, the two tie guys were great too,

things I hated, Do i Need to put spoilers? seems like everyone talked about it already,
I hated the zombies we got for the cabin, at first when I saw the trailer I thought that they were going to get attacked by different monsters, different creatures, I don't know I had that idea, I knew we were getting Zombies but, in the movie when we got the zombie family I thought they sucked, they didn't look very scary and they were very genetic, they just looked like dirty hobos, maybe they wanted to do that on purpose to make fun of slashers but that ruined the movie for me a little, I wish either the writers wrote a different monster to attack them or they wrote the zombie family better, or better make up, I don't know, I was very very disappointed with it, I dont know, Maybe it just me and they were fine, but I expected better, specially since the movie was being so creative and trying to be different, yet they choose the most boring slashers, I mean, I was mad about it, and to add insult to injury, they show us all these amazing creature and killers at the end, is like, They Really could have written better zombies for the movie and they chose to do genetic boring ones, that made me so mad.

another thing I hated is how tame the gore was, the kills were off screen, there was violence but it was very tame (compared to regular horror standards) I guess we didn't need to see Saw type gore but, this was the opposite, at least in the cabin I mean, they could have pushed it a little, this just makes me realize how lame the redneck zombies were, they were just bad. also I didn't like how slow it began, I know it had to be this way, I know we had to get to know the characters and set the premise, but I wish they would have speed it up a little, for a movie that is making fun of cliches and being innovative they were following some cliches too closely, like the slow set up,

the ending, I Loved the ending, my favorite part of the movie, by the end I thought I liked the movie but I hated how much potential it had,
then we started seeing the monsters, I got excited, then when the girl releases them Holy S__T!!! my jaw dropped, I Was so happy they did this, I thought the movie was going to end when they were trapped in the box among the monsters, I kept thinking the movie was going to end in an open ended way, I never thought we were going to see the mayhem we saw, I loved it, I loved every creature ( even the transformer, that made me laugh, wtf was a transformer doing there? or an Unicorn? why? lol) I loved the carnage and how creative some of them were, which also made me mad about the stupid redneck zombies, also I didn't like that the god had a human hand, since it seemed they were water creature gods, I wish at the end a Tentacle came out, like Cthulhu, the human hand looked stupid a little bit, I mean, I get it but it would have been so much cooler if it had tentacles or something weird .

Yeah, no. The movie was perfect at the gore level at te end. Good christ...:lol

I don't know I guess it was good, i was just so disappointed with the family zombie, for a movie so big with such a big theme, they were so lame,
like, I Was trying to imagine this exact movie with werewolves in it, that would have been A M A Z I N G, I know I know they were mocking the slasher genre, but for me it backfired, if they had the same movie with the werewolf or ghosts, or demons or something, it would have made it so much better, well I think,
I guess I do love the movie, it just has things I strongly hate about it, wish they gave us better killers :monkey3

Last edited:
When people hate things and are disappointed with this movie, it makes me love it more.... Since thats what the entire film is about.

Back