The Cabin in the Woods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough crowd in here. :lol

Will see it tomorrow.

truthhurts.jpg

I actually apologized to my wife for dragging her to see this over-hyped bomb.
Well as I already said I thought it was awful. I took my 17 year old daughter and my 15 year old stepdaughter, both horror fans, and they both thought it sucked. I of course didn't ask everyone in the theater but everyone around me thought it sucked. I don't know where the love for this movie from this site is coming from.

Well as I already said I thought it was awful. I took my 17 year old daughter and my 15 year old stepdaughter, both horror fans, and they both thought it sucked. I of course didn't ask everyone in the theater but everyone around me thought it sucked. I don't know where the love for this movie from this site is coming from.

Blind love for Joss??

Can you be more specific in your criticism?

In a way I'm glad this got delayed because it's a nice appetizer before Avengers. I never watched Dollhouse so it's been a while since I've seen any Whedon stuff.

Now's not a bad time to catch up on Dollhouse. I'm enjoyed it, but it was a bumpy ride. Thankfully the ratings made it clear there wouldn't be a long future, so they tied up the stories nicely before they went. The show definately departed from the high-tech hooker premise it was sold on.

Isn't the word horror supposed to denote scary? If your idea of a successful horror movie is to take known creatures and story lines, put them in a blender, blend them, drink it, and then vomit it out, then I don't know. I mean...I really don't. And as far as your last sentence, the last time I checked my bank account it didn't show that I was filthy rich. So no, I did not pay for 3 admissions to a movie because we were bored and wanted to see a movie that we wanted to hate.:cuckoo:

We can (and I have) argued for hours what makes a film a horror film. Depends on how strict you want to be with the definition. At its broadest, I think, you could argue that there are a number of films (like Evil Dead 2 and 3, Braindead, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead and so on) that borrow enough of the tropes of the genre to be honorary members. I would toss CITW in the same category.

Seriosuly dude? I know you are saying the marketing strategies are similar but surely you can't think the outcome of Cabin In The Woods will be anything like Zookeeper, Grown-ups and Jack and Jill.

Not seen any of them but I can tell they suck ass! I can't wait to see Cabin In The Woods.

I guarantee Cabin in the Woods is not as scary as Zookeeper or Jack and Jill.

We can (and I have) argued for hours what makes a film a horror film. Depends on how strict you want to be with the definition. At its broadest, I think, you could argue that there are a number of films (like Evil Dead 2 and 3, Braindead, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead and so on) that borrow enough of the tropes of the genre to be honorary members. I would toss CITW in the same category.

None of those are Horror films IMO. I am more Exorcist than Evil Dead. Neve found humor in horror to be good when that's all they are offering. The humor is supposed to break up the tention. Not be the focus. This movie was all humor. Not my cup of tea. I know the Rami faithful believe in camp. That's just not for me.

Can you be more specific in your criticism?
It just didn't work for me what they tried to do. I didn't follow any chatter on the movie before I seen it. From the tv ads I was expecting a horror movie. If I had known it was a horror comedy I wouldn't have seen it. I understood the concept of the movie about a quarter of the way through, i just thought it was a stupid concept. Let me ask you this
Spoiler Spoiler:

None of those are Horror films IMO. I am more Exorcist than Evil Dead. Neve found humor in horror to be good when that's all they are offering. The humor is supposed to break up the tention. Not be the focus. This movie was all humor. Not my cup of tea. I know the Rami faithful believe in camp. That's just not for me.

Exactly and well put. I didn't find one thing horrific about the movie. First time I saw The Exorcist as a kid I was messed up for days if not weeks.

ETA
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
I saw it on Saturday, and I am very much a Joss and Drew Goddard fan. I saw one trailer for it months ago (I don't go to the movies much) so I had few expectations. It was okay, I was a little underwhelmed and a little tired by the end and ready for the ending. Probably the biggest disappointment is that I didn't really care if they saved the world or not by the end. I didn't expect the nihilistic attitude. I guess I'm still dopey in enjoying the escape aspect of going to the movies more than the intellectual aha! moment of realizing I've watched a movie about movies. It was a little too clever and cold for me.

I didn't wait until the end credits to finish. Did the Mutant Enemy zombie go Grr Arg?

Back