The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:lol saved!

Jannah-Gar is still my recent fav though...

jye meme 3-28-19.jpg

It doesn't exactly work the way you guys are showing it. They usually do a decent job of cropping at the right places to bring down to 2:35. They usually take away "sky" or "ground" or whatever and you hardly tell the difference. You'll never see it cropped in the middle of a face like shown in another post. On my setup I mask IMAX aspect ratio shifting discs and I don't see that kind of crap lol

Of course they're not going to cut off Tony Stark's entire head, I was obviously making an exaggerated point, lol. ;)

But I always notice the difference at home no matter how they try to hide it. It's stupid how during the entire Batman/Superman fight in BvS that the ears of Bruce's cowl are cut off in almost every shot at home. It throws off the whole look of his costume IMO and Zack never would have filmed it that way if it 2.40:1 was all he had to work with.

By the way, do know that what you describe is the definition of "pan and scan?" Do you really want to endorse that? :confused:

"Cropping at the right places?" Hey I have an idea, don't crop anything. :lecture

lol

I have a 120" scope screen so when IMAX scenes come up, they go over the screen and onto the wall, so I have no choice...but again, if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know the difference.

Trust me, I'd know the difference. My third EG viewing was in a Dolby Laser Auditorium much bigger than 120 inches and I could tell that the picture was cropped. ;) Okay it didn't really bother me that much on a screen that size but still, it really does when I've got those big giant damn black bars staring me in the face at home where I know the picture is supposed to be. And like I said it becomes more apparent in examples like with Batman's cowl where I know he doesn't look right without the ears that were plainly visible in the theater.

But why would IMAX footage display outside of your screen? It should all fit within a 16:9 ratio standard for any television, projection or not. Unless I'm misunderstanding your setup.

Are you saying that when you watch a 1.85:1 film like ALIENS or the original Avengers that the picture expands past the screen as well?

Trust me, I'd know the difference. My third EG viewing was in a Dolby Laser Auditorium much bigger than 120 inches and I could tell that the picture was cropped. ;)

But why would IMAX footage display outside of your screen? It should all fit within a 16:9 ratio standard for any television, projection or not. Unless I'm misunderstanding your setup.

Are you saying that when you watch a 1.85:1 film like ALIENS or the original Avengers that the picture expands past the screen as well?

A scope screen when projected with an anamorphic lens or in my case, lens memory, doesn't have black bars on top or bottom for 2:35 movies. I see a full 120" picture. A 1:85 film has black bars on each side.

A scope screen when projected with an anamorphic lens or in my case, lens memory, doesn't have black bars on top or bottom for 2:35 movies. A 1:85 film has black bars on each side.

Okay, then shouldn't TDK or TDKR simply show the bars on the sides of IMAX scenes for you at home? Either way it definitely sounds like you have a unique (and awesome) setup that might throw things off but that certainly doesn't apply to us meager television display owners. ;) :duff

Okay, then shouldn't TDK or TDKR simply show the bars on the sides of IMAX scenes for you at home? Either way it definitely sounds like you have a unique (and awesome) setup that might throw things off but that certainly doesn't apply to us meager television display owners. ;) :duff

No, it constant height, so it stays the same height and changes only on the sides. So all those movies you watch on a TV with those pesky black bars on top and bottom, I don't see. It is awesome!

I'll bet! That certainly sounds awesome for all the 2.35/2.40:1 films out there! :rock

Which are most of the Blockbusters like the MCU, Star Wars, etc...even older stuff in the day that was Cinemascope. Ben Hur and all those older Blockbusters are even wider!

Back