The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol :lol

Well their salesmen were directing customers looking for 4K to the back of the room were the “older tech” was located as one salesmen put it.

Goes to show you just how long they’ve been sitting on 8K.

Last edited:
[emoji38] [emoji38]

Well they salesmen were directing customers looking for 4K to the back of the room were the “older tech” was located as one salesmen put it.

Goes to show you just how long they’ve been sitting on 8K.
By the time I can rationalize or afford to buy a 8K set, the next tech will be just about ready for release.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's funny that television technology was stagnant for such a long time.

TV
Color TV
Flat Panel
Plasma, LCD, DLP 720P
1080i
1080P
3D
LED

Cathode Ray Tubes lasted a very, very long time.

I bought my last one in 1995. A fantastic 27'' Sony Trinitron that lasted about 13 years.

My friend had the 32'' version that literally weighed a ton -- took two of us struggling to carry the thing when he moved.

I miss the slightly curved screen. The static electricity. The slightly hazy picture. The heat from the back. That ker-clunk sound when you turned it off.... and then the soft shower of sparkly hiss as the machine shut down.

Last edited:
Saw that they are releasing a limited collectors' edition BluRay box of GOT the Complete Series. Not much info on it, at least that I could find. Anyone know anything about it?

Forbes is reporting that the long delay in Alita's Blu-ray announcement has been due to Cameron (who owns the film rights to the IP outright) playing hardball with regard to demanding Dolby Vision on the disc, which Fox and new parent company Disney don't typically like to pony up for.

He allegedly won out (obviously) which is why it's being released on all formats including 3D, 4K, Dolby Vision and HDR 10+. Cameron wants everyone to take maximum advantage of whatever hardware they own.

If that means Dolby Vision then I'm happy for the delay.

Cameron can still kick ass sometimes. I respect that he wants the best for his movies. Cheap-ass Disney.

I can't wait for the fireworks between Disney and Cameron over Avatar. It'll be like Fox and Titanic all over again.

Agreed. And he's our number one ally when it comes to getting 3D TV's back in stores so hopefully sooner rather than later 4K 3D sets will one day appear. We can dream, lol.

Forbes is reporting that the long delay in Alita's Blu-ray announcement has been due to Cameron (who owns the film rights to the IP outright) playing hardball with regard to demanding Dolby Vision on the disc, which Fox and new parent company Disney don't typically like to pony up for.

He allegedly won out (obviously) which is why it's being released on all formats including 3D, 4K, Dolby Vision and HDR 10+. Cameron wants everyone to take maximum advantage of whatever hardware they own.

I suspected that!

Cameron is such a proponent of 3D, I figured he probably pushed really hard to make sure Alita was released that way.

As has been said, he's the best ally 3D has. For getting this on 3D and 4K in one package with all the bells and whistles, he gets my respect. Wonder if IMAX ratios will be on the disc?

Wonder if IMAX ratios will be on the disc?

It'll make my day if it does! If Aquaman gets IMAX aspect ratios at home then it'd be a crime for Alita not to.

But we also live in a world where 4K Basket Case is getting a theatrical release at Alamo Drafthouse but we still can't watch original SW OT on the big screen so who knows, lol.

If that's story is true then that's pretty awesome. I'm hoping Avatar 2 brings 3D back in a big way. I've always supported the format and will continue to do so.

It's funny that television technology was stagnant for such a long time.

TV
Color TV
Flat Panel
Plasma, LCD, DLP 720P
1080i
1080P
3D
LED

Yeah that’s nuts and infuriating.

Being an early adopter of 1080p was expensive lol

4K/HDR was ready to go the same day 1080 was released.

Cathode Ray Tubes lasted a very, very long time.

I bought my last one in 1995. A fantastic 27'' Sony Trinitron that lasted about 13 years.

My friend had the 32'' version that literally weighed a ton -- took two of us struggling to carry the thing when he moved.

I miss the slightly curved screen. The static electricity. The slightly hazy picture. The heat from the back. That ker-clunk sound when you turned it off.... and then the soft shower of sparkly hiss as the machine shut down.

Great post loved reading that.

But do you miss the weight lol

Screw Alita give me True Lies 3D dammit!

Last edited:
In a discussion being had about how 8K 2001 a Space Odyssey was shown during the NHK 8K broadcast openings it was mentioned that a native 8K Lawrence of Arabia was completed BUT whatever those movies bore me this is what caught my eye.

Disney has just started working on an 8K Captain Marvel lololololol

CM is the movie they went with :rotfl

Ok ok i’m done making fun of CM because what that also tells me is if they’re working on CM 8K that means they’re working on ALL of them 8K to some capacity.

Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

How can they do an 8K CM if it wasn't shot on 8K or film?
The same way they didn't use 4K transfers for their recent 4K discs. Maybe these studies should put out actual 4K, before they concentrate on putting out fake 8K.

6K on CM? How pointless for the TV quality cinematography of that film.

In other news official press release for Alita Blu-ray only lists non-IMAX 2.39:1 aspect ratio. :(

Back